Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2019 diffused silver titanium x edition
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve done a search and found a few threads about adding a rear camera and the wiring plug just up inside the head lining but I’ve got a slightly different question
The wiring harness that feed the two number plate lights has a third plug/cable come off it for the camera, in models that haven’t got a camera is the plug in there but just not used? Can’t believe they would make different looms just for that area?
Has anyone taken that part off to fit a camera and do you have pics
I’m wondering could I just buy the small camera and plug into that third number plate plug (if that makes sense?)
View attachment 9700
Electrical wiring Circuit component Electronic component Electronic engineering Cable

Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part
Grille Hood Bumper Vehicle Automotive design

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,742 Posts
@andspenka maybe able to help with this. You obviously know about the headlining loom but there doesn't seem to be any pattern with what's in place on some models and missing on another. My titanium as an example wasn't pre-wired for towing electrics. The Titanium X is from what I have gathered. You may be in luck on yours but ideally you will need to remove the rear panel on the tailgate and have a look.

Reactions: Iver biggy

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
2,373 Posts
As @smartguy69 has said, there's no really pattern to Ford's wiring but from my experience you won't have the camera plug.

Mine was wired up to the plug above the headlining but I did not have the wiring in the plug that feeds the tailgate loom. I added the camera and had to change the loom into the tailgate. I then found that the tailgate loom I got with the camera had the wrong plugs on for the powered lock on the tailgate so I had to make my own loom to feed from the number plate / camera loom to the main tailgate loom.

Even though I had the wiring above the headlining it never went all the way to the back of the Sync unit either, but that's another story.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@andspenka You may be in luck on yours but ideally you will need to remove the rear panel on the tailgate and have a look.
yeah that’s what I thought, just really didn’t want to coz I know I’m going to end up breaking about a dozen of those white clips doing it 😂
Guess what I’m doing Saturday

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@andspenka My titanium as an example wasn't pre-wired for towing electrics. The Titanium X is from what I have gathered.
Ooooooo that’s good to know, how great would that be just buying the camera mount plate and camera and plugging it straight in 🤞 have read some already have the reversing module installed, did you install one or was it just the wiring loom you did and it worked?

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
You can check if the car is pre wired for towing electrics on Etis. I can access Etis at present and it gives you the information under minor details. This is what it says for mine.
  • Less Towing Pre-Pack
None of the Kuga's will be pre fitted with a towing module.

In my opinion there is only one dedicated lead to buy and that is the Ford one from RatesFord eBay. Why pay more for one from the other companies when the Ford one does everything and is a lessor cost. The only thing you won't get is back up support if you have any questions you want to ask which you do get with the other companies, but then all the answers will be in our forum. They will tell you if it's compatible with your car.

My car came with a towbar and electrics and had an intermittent fault and whoever fitted it had made a right mess of it. I suspect it was perhaps the previous owner but as he maybe a member on here I apologise in advance if he didn't fit it. If it was the previous owner then he really needs to learn some skills of wiring into car correctly and not just hope that a wire forced into a terminal block is the right way to do it.

My car had a non-Ford kit and I suspected at first the module had failed. The company who's kit it was stopped dealing with the module company in 2017 and wanted to sell me a complete new kit at a £150. They had knocked something off due to the module change. The Ford module is still available for the 2013 mk2, nearly 9 years on which is why I recommend the Ford kit.

The only difference in the Kuga that is pre-wired with the towing pack is the 12v feed and CANBUS connector is in place. On mine I had to tap into the rear fuse box (lead provided in towing kit) and connect CANBUS in the driver's side footwell.

NOTE - If anyone wants to fit their own kit and doesn't have the factrory fitted connectors in the boot for CANBUS then check out if your car has the central door locking module located in the passenger rear wing in the boot. It may be easier to pick up CAN Hi & Can Lo there. This is where my original connection was made from and was also where the fault was as the "installer" had jammed the wires in the connector. It was already too late by this point as the new kit had already been installed.
You off on a tangent again, he never mentioned Towing electrics.
He said reversing module which not all cars need, if you e got Sync 3 you won’t need one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He said reversing module which not all cars need, if you e got Sync 3 you won’t need one.
Hahahaha I was just thinking that👆
yeah I believe it’s got sync 3, not 100% as I’m new to the kuga world,
What happens to the radar screen with a camera? Does it just lose that but keep the beeps?

·
7,742 Posts
You're right. I wrote that when I was still half asleep. I will delete it.

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
Hahahaha I was just thinking that👆
yeah I believe it’s got sync 3, not 100% as I’m new to the kuga world,
What happens to the radar screen with a camera? Does it just lose that but keep the beeps?
If you're 2017 or newer, it's Sync 3. the display just shows up on the right hand side.

Output device Plant Rectangle Mesh Font

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If you're 2017 or newer, it's Sync 3. the display just shows up on the right hand side.

View attachment 9720
Ooooooo I like that!!!!! I really like the radar screen so glad it stays, shows where the object is (and yes I understand the camera part does too 😂) really hope this idea works and I get it working

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
I don't have front sensors but this is how it looks when they kick in.

Output device Television set Gadget Rectangle Font

You would get the same around the front if you have sensors on the front as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So just for future people who are looking this up an update, would seem the titanium x 2019 doesn’t have the wiring in the boot part for a camera
I removed the inter part/plastic and traced the cable that runs to the number plate light, there was only two cables which are the two for the number plate lights, nowhere near the amount for the camera,
On tracing it back to the plug inside the head liner I’d say from the vehicle to that plug is wired for the camera but from that plug into the boot isn’t, I base this on the fact looking at the cables running from the car side it’s full, all the spaces in the plug are full but the plug side into the boot there are about 6 empty spots, I tried to take a photo to show this but hadn’t removed all the headliner
I’m hoping that if I find a wiring harness for a model with a camera and Exchange it from that plug into the boot it should work
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Trunk

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
The camera wires are pins 16, 17, 18, 19 & 20.

Finger Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Cable Thumb

Pin 16 is white/green stripe
Pin 17 is brown/violet stripe
Pin 18 is black
Pin 19 is Yellow/Violet stripe
Pin 20 is white

Mine was pre-wired to this plug but didn't have the wiring in the tailgate harness.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The camera wires are pins 16, 17, 18, 19 & 20.

View attachment 9764

Pin 16 is white/green stripe
Pin 17 is brown/violet stripe
Pin 18 is black
Pin 19 is Yellow/Violet stripe
Pin 20 is white

Mine was pre-wired to this plug but didn't have the wiring in the tailgate harness.
Yep looks the same, can’t decide whether or not to just buy rolls of colour code wire and run 5 new cables from this plug down to the camera location or track down a new harness 🤔
Going to be far cheap buying rolls of cables and a few end plug pins to crimp up
Rectangle Line Font Circle Pattern

Musical instrument Electronic instrument Font Audio equipment Circuit component

·
7,742 Posts
That wire is silicone coated and although it's ok I wouldn't buy it again.

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
My choice was to track down the harness.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To all the wiring experts am I right in thinking it’s a 5amp wiring on the internal wiring?
think I am going to go down the run 5 new cables along side the existing loom down to the camera, I went into hailfords and a roll is £3.95, id prefer a new loom but I’d need to find one with a camera and power tail lift, needle in haystack type thing
Already bought the camera and new bumper mounts section off of eBay
Computer Personal computer Output device Sports equipment Laptop

Audio equipment Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory Bumper Gas

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so it’s here!!!!! Just need to fit this into the boot and run wires to this plug, fingers crossed that’s all! Only problem I’ve got is the wiring on the camera has 6 wires not 5 and different colours 😂 this should be fun 😱

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Trunk

Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design Gadget

Musical instrument accessory Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Gadget

1 - 20 of 25 Posts