Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my first post here so I hope I use the right section. I Just bought a Ford Kuga 2017 MK2.5 ST-Line and I will receive it on saturday (yeah!!) . But I have a question about it.

The car has Keyless Entry but with all the stuff I read about it I'm thinking of turning it off or get at least it more secure. I saw some options:

1: Disable Keyless entry (dealer says it can't) I know it's not in the menu of this car, but does someone know if it is possible trough Forscan?

2: get this
Does someone has some expierence with it?

3: get an pouch or special rfid blocking case (least of my preferred options)

What doel you guys think about it?

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,737 Posts
I use a box to keep my keys in, but I can turn my keyless entry off from with the settings on the instrument cluster screen, using the steering wheel controls.

I guess you can do it via FORScan too, but never tried it personally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Phil,

I checked @ the dealer and I don't have the key free option in the instrument cluster screen... Would it be possible for you to check id there is such an option in Forscan? I can't find something about a list with possible options... For this car. And I only want to buy an adapter/software if it can change that.

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,737 Posts
I'm not your man for FORScan, sorry 😬

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,018 Posts
There is a guide below from one of the Focus websites which may help. Do not just rely on this guide and do additional research also. Google something like this "turn off keyless entry on ford with forscan"

I cannot stress enough that using FORScan can be extremely dangerous for a novice but appreciate everyone has to start somewhere. I recommend the Vgate Vlinker OBD reader as recommended by FORScan.

You will need a FORScan extended licence which is free as well as the FORScan software which is also free.

It is absolutely imperative that the first thing you do with FORScan is save the configuration of your car when you first boot it up. Create a new folder on your desktop and call it what you like and save it in there. I say to do this as I can guarantee if you ever need to use it you may struggle to find it as it stores it in the FORScan folder in programmes by default.

When doing any programming the car's battery MUST be full charged AND a battery charger connected. You run the risk of bricking your car if you don't do this.

To access "Engineering Mode" you need the secondary boot loader. For this you need an internet connection.

Good luck and if it all goes wrong then don't blame me. I can use FORScan but I have never done this procedure on my car.

Vgate vLinker FS OBD2 USB Adapter for FORScan HS/MS-CAN Auto Switch : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive
Download FORScan

How to disable Keyless Entry (GUIDE) Forscan – Mk3 Focus RS Club

Reactions: Phil Doggo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a guide below from one of the Focus websites which may help. Do not just rely on this guide and do additional research also. Google something like this "turn off keyless entry on ford with forscan"

I cannot stress enough that using FORScan can be extremely dangerous for a novice but appreciate everyone has to start somewhere. I recommend the Vgate Vlinker OBD reader as recommended by FORScan.

You will need a FORScan extended licence which is free as well as the FORScan software which is also free.

It is absolutely imperative that the first thing you do with FORScan is save the configuration of your car when you first boot it up. Create a new folder on your desktop and call it what you like and save it in there. I say to do this as I can guarantee if you ever need to use it you may struggle to find it as it stores it in the FORScan folder in programmes by default.

When doing any programming the car's battery MUST be full charged AND a battery charger connected. You run the risk of bricking your car if you don't do this.

To access "Engineering Mode" you need the secondary boot loader. For this you need an internet connection.

Good luck and if it all goes wrong then don't blame me. I can use FORScan but I have never done this procedure on my car.

Vgate vLinker FS OBD2 USB Adapter for FORScan HS/MS-CAN Auto Switch : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive
Download FORScan

How to disable Keyless Entry (GUIDE) Forscan – Mk3 Focus RS Club
Thanks for your very very detailed post! I already read something about the warnings only thing Ididnt know was about putting a charge on it. A good valid point! Thanks.

I already found the post... But hoped someone could tell me if the Kuga has te same options and if it could work because the dealer says they can't... Also worth mentioning I also read some where that of you also check " no Keyless entry and no Keyless start" it will erase your keyfobs, so that will be a thing to keep in mind...

Again thanks for your great detailed post... It helped!

·
10,018 Posts
Thanks for your very very detailed post! I already read something about the warnings only thing Ididnt know was about putting a charge on it. A good valid point! Thanks.

I already found the post... But hoped someone could tell me if the Kuga has te same options and if it could work because the dealer says they can't... Also worth mentioning I also read some where that of you also check " no Keyless entry and no Keyless start" it will erase your keyfobs, so that will be a thing to keep in mind...

Again thanks for your great detailed post... It helped!
Remember research as much as you can and don't forget that Forscan also has some very knowledgeable and helpful people too.

Before changing anything it's a good idea to either take a screen snip using the snipping tool in windows or take a picture on screen with your phone.

Don't change anything you don't need to.

Always remember to press the STOP button in Forscan when existing programming as that can cause issues and even experienced users can think you can just exit. If you have had to press the play button to access something then you need to press the stop button to exit that particular screen.

Make sure you press disconnect when you are finished.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Number

There are some helpful tips on the Forscan forum.

If when you first download Forscan, go to settings, that's the gear cog on the left hand side and select "DEMO". You have to close it off and then start it up again for the demo mode to work.

FORScan Tutorial - Google Docs

·
Registered
2017 kuga 1.5 ST line
358 Posts
Another option is to replace the obd plug with a dummy and relocate the original plug in the back of the dash. Make it hard for them to gain access to the original port. Yes they can still get into the car but it will help to stop them from getting it started. You can buy the dummy port on ebay for penny's and if you are handy just stick it out the way.

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,737 Posts
Another option is to replace the obd plug with a dummy and relocate the original plug in the back of the dash. Make it hard for them to gain access to the original port. Yes they can still get into the car but it will help to stop them from getting it started. You can buy the dummy port on ebay for penny's and if you are handy just stick it out the way.
I love this idea, if I could be bothered to do it :D

·
I am Batman!
Kuga ST - Manual 6 Speed - 200PS+ Petrol.
798 Posts
Yeah sounds good but could be an issue for us Bluefin'ers as we have to use that ODBC port to plug the handheld device in, in case you want to revert back to the standard map, carry out diagnostics or to immobilise the car (very handy feature that in cae you go away and leave the car for a while!)

·
10,018 Posts
Yeah sounds good but could be an issue for us Bluefin'ers as we have to use that ODBC port to plug the handheld device in, in case you want to revert back to the standard map, carry out diagnostics or to immobilise the car (very handy feature that in cae you go away and leave the car for a while!)
It's only an issue if you forget where you hide the original OBD port lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When doing any programming the car's battery MUST be full charged AND a battery charger connected. You run the risk of bricking your car if you don't do this

Do you guys always put on a charger when you make a small change? I don't even have one.. Can someone recommended one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And you have to remember to tell the dealer where you put it... Haha.. is it hard to put it on another place? I cant imagine it's easy for an guy with two left hands....

·
10,018 Posts
Do you guys always put on a charger when you make a small change? I don't even have one.. Can someone recommended one?
Certainly do or should I say at least I do.. You wouldn't want to suffer a low voltage issue when FORScan is writing to the car. I just have a cheap 6amp charger.

·
Registered
2017 kuga 1.5 ST line
358 Posts
They are very easy to install but as said it can be difficult if you need to plug in to find faults but lets be honest would you rather spend an extra 10 mins getting at the original port OR take the chance of your car going missing. All of my old fords were done and the kuga will be done soon because there are so many going missing and stripped for parts.

The last one i bought was only £11 on ebay so as a security feature you cant get any better cost saving than that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all, my first post here so I hope I use the right section. I Just bought a Ford Kuga 2017 MK2.5 ST-Line and I will receive it on saturday (yeah!!) . But I have a question about it.

The car has Keyless Entry but with all the stuff I read about it I'm thinking of turning it off or get at least it more secure. I saw some options:

1: Disable Keyless entry (dealer says it can't) I know it's not in the menu of this car, but does someone know if it is possible trough Forscan?

2: get this
Does someone has some expierence with it?

3: get an pouch or special rfid blocking case (least of my preferred options)

What doel you guys think about it?
you could just by an old fashioned steering wheel lock. still rated as effective and deterrent as most of the thieving sods don't carry anything with them these days to cut it out or bash the lock out.

Reactions: NigelB
1 - 17 of 17 Posts