Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2015 TDCi manual with fixed towbar and dedicated electrics
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have looked at the rpevious threads for the key fob problems, but cant see one that realtes to my issue.

Key fob was working, then randomly stopped, and spare wouldnt work either.

As I wasnt sure of battery on spare (not used in the 4 years I have had the car), I replaced both fobs with a duracell battery (which is in the correct way around).

Still cannot remote open the car - resort to the key inside the fob to manually unlock the car, and have to offer the fob to the shroud around the steering column to prevent the alarm.

I can start the car (but only when the fob is in the position as mentioned above) and drive as normal, and lock it manually using the key.

A mate who works for RAC has had a quick look - he seems to think it is a control unit issue, as the keys talk to his computer, and when he does a diagnosis on the car, it wont pass due to the key and car not talking to each other.

I am wondering where the control unit may be situated, or is theresomething in the roof panel above the rear view mirro connected witht he key fob (have a dash cam hard wired in and the only difference is was the keys worked when the dash cam was 'suckered' to the window, but when it wouldnt work, I noticed the dash cam dangling by its power cablefrom the passenger side pillar - so the cable had come out of the bit between the roof and soundproofing.

Sorry for the long post, but keen to try and remedy myself if I can (if anyone has any advice)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all,

I have looked at the previous threads for the key fob problems, but cant see one that realtes to my issue.
Forgot to include: 2015 kuga titanium.

Thanks in advance for any advice to get this resolved please?

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,067 Posts
Hi @Craftie2004 welcome to the forum,

Please take a minute to fill out your car model details in your signature, it helps us when answering questions and saves you typing it out all the time, or adding a second post cos you forgot ;)

Details can be found here.....Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi @Craftie2004 welcome to the forum,

Please take a minute to fill out your car model details in your signature, it helps us when answering questions and saves you typing it out all the time, or adding a second post cos you forgot ;)

Details can be found here.....Welcome to the Forum, Please Read
Thanks andspenka, have done that now - apologies, I posted in haste to try and get the problem resolved

·
1,067 Posts
No Probs (y)

Just realised, I never even thought to read your question 🤦‍♂️

There are 2 readers that I know of, or should I say that I can remember cos I have a feeling that I'm not remembering one of them.

There's 1 in the back of the arm rest and 1 under the boot floor behind the rear seats.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Hi and welcome to our forum. Good to see that you used a decent battery and hopefully wasn't purchased from the £1 shop.

A daft question but one I have to ask. Did you replace it with the correct one. Type CR2032 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi smartguy - yes it was a like for like.
Mate (who I said is in RAC) has said the fobs were ‘talking’ to his machine so assumed that meant the batteries were correct.

·
1,067 Posts
This is what you're looking for.

Reactions: Craftie2004

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
No worries. There would be some that would think any key fob battery would work. I have tried lol but it was only because I didn't have the correct one. I buy mine from a decent source now as fed up of the multi packs you get from the discount stores don't last 5 minutes.

Reactions: Craftie2004

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
No Probs (y)

Just realised, I never even thought to read your question 🤦‍♂️

There are 2 readers that I know of, or should I say that I can remember cos I have a feeling that I'm not remembering one of them.

There's 1 in the back of the arm rest and 1 under the boot floor behind the rear seats.
Not sure if this helps and it may jog andspenka's memory. There are 3 antennas looking at 7zap.

The RFA module is in the boot, left side panel. According to the manual if the module is faulty it will show a DTC code. May be an idea to buy a modded ELM 327 with a switch to read both CAN systems, download Forscan and have a look.
Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 23.18.54.png

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found the one in the boot - will ask my mate to come back with his scanner (RAC man) and see if he can scan as mentioned above.
I am assuming that the one behind armrest is armrest out? It has drawn blood on me twice just looking :(

Where is the third one? Looks to be by driver side pillar?

And is there a way of knowing which (if any) doesn’t work?

Sorry for so many silly questions, had it a while and this is first thing to go wrong (apart from tyres and battery) so never taken things apart on it.

·
1,067 Posts
I found the one in the boot - will ask my mate to come back with his scanner (RAC man) and see if he can scan as mentioned above.
I am assuming that the one behind armrest is armrest out? It has drawn blood on me twice just looking :(

Where is the third one? Looks to be by driver side pillar?

And is there a way of knowing which (if any) doesn’t work?

Sorry for so many silly questions, had it a while and this is first thing to go wrong (apart from tyres and battery) so never taken things apart on it.
The armrest one is on the back where the 12v outlet is, you need to prise the vents out and there's 2 screws behind there. From memory, I think there are also some fixings around the side but I'm not 100% sure, take the 2 at the back out and see how loose it is. I'm pretty sure there's more than 2 screws holding it on though.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
The armrest one is on the back where the 12v outlet is, you need to prise the vents out and there's 2 screws behind there. From memory, I think there are also some fixings around the side but I'm not 100% sure, take the 2 at the back out and see how loose it is. I'm pretty sure there's more than 2 screws holding it on though.
Is that the one that connects to the media loom, Andrew. I seem to remember when you was selling a loom it had what looked like an antenna attached and think I asked you about it at the time. The third one could be behind the heating controls looking at the manual but not 100%.

·
1,067 Posts
Yes, that's the one. I think you're right about there being one near the heating controls too, I remember seeing another when I swapped the dashboard but couldn't remember where it was.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I will see if I can find the picture. I didn't want to post it in case at some point ford had decided to move it and someone went to the trouble of removing the panel.

Hopefully a scan will show it's an issue with the module but the OP needs to make a back up of the current module settings if it is the module.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks both - I will ask my mate to pop over at the weekend to scan it - will report back :)

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Normally if you want to know where anything is hidden on a Kuga, ask andspenka. I guarantee he will have a picture as well.

·
1,067 Posts
Usually, but not this one unfortunately.

Reactions: smartguy69
1 - 20 of 27 Posts