Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should the battery last in my key fob?
Mine lasts around 5 weeks before I need to replace it.
Does the battery last longer if I drive with the keys in the ignition holder rather thasn in my coat pocket?

·
Registered
902 Posts
A brand new battery in any car's fob should last at least a couple of years. My Fiesta's fobs are now 5 years old, still on their initial battery, still going strong. In my CX7 I had to replace the batteries in both key-cards after 7 years.

Where you keep them should have little to no effect on battery life. In your fob's case, there's probably a leak/shortage that eats away at the battery's lifespan.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Always replace with a good quality battery. Duracell, Every Ready Energizer. (Buy cheap, buy twice).

Reactions: DogDeluxe

·
Registered
759 Posts
When I had my kuga in December 2017 I put new batteries in the 2 key fobs,,not had to replace them yet.( i put new batteries in when I had the kuga to be on the safe side,,I suppose the original batteries would have been ok) I use Panasonic of Amazon pack of 12 £5.90.(when I took the kuga in for a service they tried to charge me £17 for a key fob battery,,I ask does it need a new battery,,was told no but we always ask,,,how many people have fallen for that).

Ross

·
Registered
ST-Line Edition
301 Posts
Should last for years. They are coin cells (2032 I believe) and are non-rechargable.

As Stupot said, buy a quality brand or it you'll just end up replacing them sooner and it will be a false economy.

Try using your spare key and see if that lasts better, so you'll have more of an idea if it's that specific fob.

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
I'm in a different camp from some here. Yes, buy a "known make". But I always buy a multi pack from Amazon, last pack of 10 cost me less than a fiver... They were put into my fobs about 12 moths ago and still fine...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts