Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

Just bought the car - dreaded warning lights have come on!

14K views 82 replies 19 participants last post by  keithmac 
#1 ·
After having owned a Ford Galaxy for the past 4yr (previously having had a Galaxy for 7yr too), due to personal circumstances, we downsized to a Ford Kuga, about 2wks ago.... Its a 2nd hand, 2011 reg, from a main dealer....

We drove the 13mile/25min back, down the roads & motorway, with no issues. We had family commitments so didnt drive it again until 2 days later. On a short trip to the supermarket, the engine management symbol came on, during our drive back. We had local drives over the weekend, where the airbag warning symbol came on. We took the car out in the week, on a 90mile round motorway trip, to visit family - on the way there, no issues, on the way back, the engine management symbol came on again. The performance was not affected, it was generally running ok, with just the 2 amber warning symbols appearing intermittently, so we thought, maybe its just a glitch. (used to have an airbag warning one flash up in a van I had, where it was the connection under the passenger seat that would work loose)

Then last weekend, I was quite un-nerved while on a drive to drop off my daughter, the engine was "running fast" when I was stopped at the lights. My partner came to drive it home, & it happened for him too - seemed to be revving unevenly when idling.

I emailed the dealer on Monday, they told me to arrange to bring it in re the engine management light.

It hasnt been convenient yet to take the car back in, as we needed it this week. My partner drove the 90miles again to visit family & it was ok on the trip over, but an engine malfunction warning triangle appeared on the way back, where the car was lacking in power at times....

Im not impressed

See less See more
#2 ·
The sooner that the dealer gets it into the workshop the better by the sound of it. If it was a Ford dealer from whom you purchased the car they will know that Mk.1 Kugas are notorious for leaks into the passenger side footwell due to cracked or missing mastic where the panels join.

This allows water to affect the electronics in the footwell.

Check the footwell for ANY sign of moisture and, in any event, get the car back to the selling dealer ASAP.

#7 ·
The sooner that the dealer gets it into the workshop the better by the sound of it. If it was a Ford dealer from whom you purchased the car they will know that Mk.1 Kugas are notorious for leaks into the passenger side footwell due to cracked or missing mastic where the panels join.

This allows water to affect the electronics in the footwell.

Check the footwell for ANY sign of moisture and, in any event, get the car back to the selling dealer ASAP.
Thanks @NigelB ..... yes we are arranging a mutually convenient time to take it back for them to look at..... It wasnt a Ford dealer, but another brand of main dealer..... We have had a look in the footwell & cant see any moisture, but thank you for the tip.....

#9 ·
Thanks @davidoff

As pointed on the above post, with having a lot on my plate, its a pain that the car isnt running as it should.... The galaxy went through a stage of warning symbols & trying to fault find the codes was often a nightmare - either no code had come up , or the warning went off... Just hope something can be found.... I just wanted a rough idea of common issues, so I wasnt fobbed off by the garage, to find myself back forth ...... yes, we have had a look for water in the footwell, but it seems ok

#12 ·
Took car in on Monday, to leave it with them to be looked at....

Finally they contacted us, late today, to say we can pick up....

They have sorted the passenger door hinge.... they have checked the dashboard screws to eliminate the rattle that we had.... they have done a regen to clear the engine management light - they said that was the only light that came on & the code they found....

We shall see ...

#17 ·
Get yourself an ELM 327 Bluetooth code reader and Torque app on your phone - if the light(s) come back at least you can get the code. Problem the dealer may have is if the codes disappear with an engine restart, they are in the dark as to what they are looking for; if you capture the info at the time the lights are on that may help them.

Reactions: MotherGoose
#18 ·
Well, that didnt last long!!!

We parked up, after arriving back from the garage, then nipped to the supermarket, all was fine & we topped up with fuel too.

Just been out to the garden centre, & bam! all the lights came on - engine management light, airbag light, engine malfunction warning light... plus when stopped still, the uneven revving .... & the engine seems to reach its temp quickly?

It was 4.50pm..... so sent them an email.

The Kuga is a lovely car..... if it wasnt for the issues.... grrrhhh

#23 ·
Could be the start of the instrument cluster is a very common failure, this will cause an intermittent failure of all instruments, lights and gauges. If the instrument cluster fails while driving then this will often cause the engine to cut out. If failure happens while attempting to start the vehicle then it will prevent the engine from starting. You will notice the immobilizer light flashes continuously when the instrument cluster fails and the mileage reading will only show dashes (-------) instead of the mileage. The fault normally always starts out as an intermittent fault but will become permanent with time.

Common Failure symptoms:​
  • Loss of all instrument cluster functions and lights
  • Speedometer and rev counter drops to zero
  • Engine cuts out while driving
  • Non start
  • Immobiliser light flashes

#25 ·
Could be the start of the instrument cluster is a very common failure, this will cause an intermittent failure of all instruments, lights and gauges. If the instrument cluster fails while driving then this will often cause the engine to cut out. If failure happens while attempting to start the vehicle then it will prevent the engine from starting. You will notice the immobilizer light flashes continuously when the instrument cluster fails and the mileage reading will only show dashes (-------) instead of the mileage. The fault normally always starts out as an intermittent fault but will become permanent with time.

Common Failure symptoms:​

• Loss of all instrument cluster functions and lights
  • Speedometer and rev counter drops to zero
  • Engine cuts out while driving
  • Non start
  • Immobiliser light flashes
Initially, we picked up the car from the garage & drove it locally a few days, noticing that the airbag light came on..... We had a ride out to visit family (motorway, 90mile round trip), where, on the return leg, the engine management light appeared..... The car also had uneven revs when stopped at traffic lights idling (ie it felt like the car wanted to move/drive when you had your foot on the brake) .... we had a 2nd motorway journey, again on the return leg, the engine management light came on & also the engine malfunction warning triangle, which made it then loose some power.... no other lights come on & the dials/guages all seem fine

#24 ·
Common fault codes:​
  • P1260-Theft detected
  • U0121-lost comms with abs
  • U0140-lost comms with body control
  • U0001-high speed can communication bus
  • U1900-can bus fault
  • U2012-can communication error
  • P0500-vehicle speed sensor a intermittent
  • U0001-high speed can communication bus intermittent
  • P1260-theft detected vehicle immobilized intermittent
  • U0155-can data from hybrid electronic cluster module not received by tcm permanent
  • U0001-high speed can communication bus intermittent
  • U0101-lost communication with tcm permanent
  • P0106-manifold absolute pressure /baro sensor range performance intermittent
  • P0108-manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit high input
  • P1000-obd II cycle not completed
  • U1900-can communication bus fault - receive error intermittent
  • U2510-can invalid data for vehicle security intermittent
  • U2197-invalid vehicle speed data intermittent
  • U2200-invalid odo count data intermittent
  • U0155-Engine ecu lost communication with instrument cluster
  • U2510-can invalid data for vehicle security intermittent
  • U2197-invalid vehicle speed data intermittent
  • U2200-invalid odo count data intermittent
  • U0155-Engine ecu lost communication with instrument cluster

#26 ·
Well, they have had the car since Monday 6th December.....

Just had a phone call off them, to say, the door hinge is sorted & the rattle on the dashboard (yes they had already fixed that the first time the car went back in!) .... & that they cant find any other fault codes showing up!! ..... but that the airbag one means my passenger airbag is not working & they have booked my car with a Ford garage for them to sort the issue, but its not until the 12th Jan!! ... They said I can pick the car back up, rather than leave it with them, but from a safety point of view, I wont have a working passenger airbag!

The lady receptionist went on to say, they cant get any other codes & it needs to be on Ford machines to understand/better read it, at the expense of the garage I bought it from.... Just wondering if I should better arrange it down the road at my local Ford garage? rather than the one nearer to the garage I bought it from?

#27 ·
Just seen this thread

Like above there is a common fault on the dashboard that may cause some of these issues.

Also even if it's not wet in the passenger footwell it is a possible cause, it was a common leak point in there, and unfortunately where it leaked there it was directly beside the fuses and relays so if it has leaked in the past and been fixed then it could have corroded some of the electrics back there, so I'd lift up the carpets and look see if there's any water staining

On another point given your last car was a ford, if you like the brand it really may be worth getting an ELM327 with a switch eg. The link below

That combined with some free software called Forscan will give you plus a laptop the same diagnostic capability as a Ford dealer as you can talk to all the modules on it

#29 ·
Thanks..... would the fault on the dashboard, cause the loss of power or the uneven revs? .... I get that a dashboard fault would cause the various lights to come on/off.... but didnt think it would cause a physical thing?

Thanks,.... Im bearing it in mind re a possible previous fixed leak, that could have corroded some of the fuses & electrics...

Apart from driving from A to B, filling up with fuel & making sure other bits are topped up.... anything beyond that is usually a call to our breakdown service or a trip to my local mechanic, if its not something easily fixable by my partner & adult son....

#31 ·
We have just taken the car back into the dealer today, for it to be taken to the Ford dealer tomorrow...
Since we picked it up just before Christmas, it has basically sat in our drive.... We started it up a handful of times & maybe driven it once or twice...
Hope Ford can sort things better than what has been done so far

#38 ·
So I chased up the garage, who said they were waiting to pay the Ford dealers, where they had taken my car, they got back to me to say I could go collect it myself from this Ford garage, that all was sorted.....

Off we went on Tuesday, to find where the garage was & pick up the car..... they said it was some wiring that needed sorting on the seatbelt warning light issue... that the fault codes were cleared & it was all ok.... no mention of anything about the Engine Management Light or the Engine Warning Triangle, both of which come on & affect the car's performance.... We thought, maybe the wiring issue for the seatbelt was also causing the other issues? ..... We got it back home, no issues, great!

Today, my partner drove a 90mile round trip on the motorway, using my car, to visit his family.... all was ok on the way there, but on the way back, you've guessed it, the Engine Management Light came on!!!

Im fed up!!! .... thinking of simply running it to our local Ford garage while the light is on, so they can plug it in there & find the fault code, as it seems the garage I bought it from (another brand name main dealer) never see the issue & also seems the garage they sent it to, didnt find the fault either!

#39 ·
The only thing that is certain is that it won't fix itself. Don't delay, take it back. It has been a couple of months now of you trying to get them to fix it. Time for your money back.

It might be an easy/inexpensive fix, but you bought from a main dealer to avoid this headache.

Reactions: 5294
#40 ·
Thanks....
I have just emailed the garage ....

We picked up the car from the Ford dealers, on Tuesday, where you had sent it for repair.
The seatbelt warning symbol which would light up, has now been fixed, after the garage have done some re-wiring.
However, the main issue, of the Engine Management Light coming on, has still not gone away.
My partner did a 90mile motorway round trip to visit family & see if the problem had been eradicated, but sadly, on ignition of the engine on the return journey, the EML came back on.
This has been a problem since I initially purchased the car in November!
I personally have only driven the car about 3 times, as it becomes undriveable for me.
I need it to tow, & I cant even get the car to the other side of town, without the EML coming on.
The EML comes on, followed by the Engine Malfunction Warning Triangle & the car looses all power.
I am prepared to give you one more chance of fixing the issue.
Otherwise I will be seeking a full refund & returning the car to you.
I purchased the car in good faith, I expect it to be driveable.

#42 ·
Thanks guys....

After my email, we didnt hear anything back, gave the car the benefit of the doubt & took it out on a long run, no lights on & drove fine on the 30+ miles there, but as soon as we set off back, the EML came on & we had a lack of power on the hills.... so not used it properly since then, but we have had a few things on (family things, personal issues, life changing event last yr), which means we just havent been able to arrange to get the car back to them.... I chased them up again last week & they rang back to book me in, as they now have a new diagnostics machine.... We took the car back in to them yesterday, supposed to be just leaving it 2hrs while they put it on the machine, however, both the EML & engine warning triangle came on while driving, so we left it running so they could actually see it & we also chose to leave it with them for as long as it takes.... as they know, if it's not sorted this time, then sadly I dont want the car, I need it eventually to tow, but it doesnt seem capable... Im just fed up of it all, I dont need all the hassle on top of what Ive been through in my life since last yr

#43 ·
Garage have just phoned this morning - "Hi, just letting you know the car is ready"..... so I asked what the problem was, & he said they have done a dpf re-gen.... I said, you have done this before & it didnt work, & that perhaps they should be fault finding instead?, so he asked how I drove the car, ie did I do lots of short journeys?, to which I said, no, as my kids are not little anymore, so I am no longer doing school runs 5 x a week, that we probably have 2 short journeys a week & the rest is long journeys (60mile round trip to my family, 90mile round trip to my partner family)....Told him I have had 2 ford galaxy's & a vauxhall van, all diesel, so I know about dpf's & short journeys etc & why this is annoying because its happening after a long good run .... so I once again explained that on return of the car, I can drive the car a distance & all is ok, then on the return leg, the EML comes on.... I said I wasnt going to waste my time coming for the car, to only be ringing them up next week with the same issue, that I need to get a towbar fit, but I cant do that until I know the car is right, I also cant commit to booking a holiday as I dont know if the car will be capable of towing.... that they need to now check the car, before I come to collect it... & also told him that maybe the dpf needs cleaning? ....

Feeling a bit hacked off tbh....

#44 ·
Reading what you've said they’ve had the car back again for 9 days and done a regen saying its all ok. When you eventually pick the car up I would be throwing the Sale of Goods Act back at them if you have to return it again, you must be fuming inside

#45 ·
Sounds like a nightmare.
It does sound like a DPF problem with the car trying to re-gen and when it fails the EML comes up ( I had same problem) I would ask them to change the vaporizer ( as these get blocked, failing to supply diesel to re-gen) change sensor, and ask them to REMOVE DPF and get it PROFFESSIONALY cleaned.
If they don't I would expect the EML light to come up every 300-500 miles until the DPF is completely full of ASH and then it will eventually block up.

Reactions: MotherGoose
#46 ·
Sounds like a nightmare.
It does sound like a DPF problem with the car trying to re-gen and when it fails the EML comes up ( I had same problem) I would ask them to change the vaporizer ( as these get blocked, failing to supply diesel to re-gen) change sensor, and ask them to REMOVE DPF and get it PROFFESSIONALY cleaned.
If they don't I would expect the EML light to come up every 300-500 miles until the DPF is completely full of ASH and then it will eventually block up.
Reading what you've said they’ve had the car back again for 9 days and done a regen saying its all ok. When you eventually pick the car up I would be throwing the Sale of Goods Act back at them if you have to return it again, you must be fuming inside
They rang me on Friday afternoon....."Our technician took the car out for a drive last night, the light came on for him & he saw it first hand" ...... strange, that when we took the car in, both the EML & the warning triangle were on, so we left it running & as I went to book it in, I took the guy out to look, he grabbed one of the mechanics, so they could see the car with the issues in front of them ..... & now they talk like "oh, the light came on" .... anyway he said that they know it cant be the dpf as they have just done the re-gen, so now they have a sensor on order.....

Im still hacked off tho..... when I first went to get the car, it needed an MOT, so the pick up date was delayed & they were getting a sensor then... since then theyve done a re-gen, now another.... now its another sensor..... I just know that the issue wont be solved .... I did ask him which sensor & had they considered cleaning the dpf or checking the earth wire....

#48 ·
Thanks..... it took us about a yr to finally find this one... I had my other car 4yrs, it was the right size & everything for towing.... before that I had a van about 4yrs, before that a car about 8yrs.... I have to have a certain size etc to match the outfit I tow with, which limits what I can buy, plus I am limited to cash too...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.