Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Pardon my blunt language but you've had no bloody luck with that car have you ?

I would ask your mechanic to check the earth strap at the back of the battery that goes between the negative connection and the body of the car they are well known for corrosion and corrosion means high resistance and an inability to start.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,602 Posts
Also the car's starter motor earth's through the starter mounting bolts. If they are rusty they need cleaning up.

I don't have a manual for your car but in mine it has relays for both ignition and starter motor. I would try those as well as any main fuses which may have blown.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga 2011 Zetec TDCI 140 2WD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Pardon my blunt language but you've had no bloody luck with that car have you ?

I would ask your mechanic to check the earth strap at the back of the battery that goes between the negative connection and the body of the car they are well known for corrosion and corrosion means high resistance and an inability to start.
I messaged the mechanic, who said, he had checked all earth and cleaned them up. Bypassed the earth with a separate earth with jump leads directly to engine to eliminate it being bad earth

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Botheration!

That's me devoid of ideas but there are some blindingly good mechanics here who I am sure will have suggestions .

·
“The Wise One”
2017 kuga 1.5 ST line
530 Posts
Wow....... what a read that was and that car would be long gone if it was mine.
On the starter motor there should be a thin wire on the solenoid so get him to check the voltage on that wire when the car is getting cranked. That wire is ignition live ......... Then get him to check the voltage of the permanent live from the battery to the starter at the starter side. Then on the starter motor there is also a cable that runs from the starter to the alternator that needs to be checked for voltage.

Once done come back here with the outcome please ........... My guess would be the cable from the + to the starter is the culprit and can be bypassed using a jump lead to see if it starts. If it does crank over and run you need to replace the cable and the fuse that's part of the cable.

Please come back with the results and im sure we can get this problem put to bed (y)

Ps ..... where are you based because if close enough i would gladly get this sorted for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Also the car's starter motor earth's through the starter mounting bolts. If they are rusty they need cleaning up.

I don't have a manual for your car but in mine it has relays for both ignition and starter motor. I would try those as well as any main fuses which may have blown.
Thanks, yes he had checked those too

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
There's a known issue where he Bluetooth module drains the battery; might be worth checking the battery voltage before starting it to see if it's low.
AA man checked & it was issue somewhere between battery & starter motor...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Wow....... what a read that was and that car would be long gone if it was mine.
On the starter motor there should be a thin wire on the solenoid so get him to check the voltage on that wire when the car is getting cranked. That wire is ignition live ......... Then get him to check the voltage of the permanent live from the battery to the starter at the starter side. Then on the starter motor there is also a cable that runs from the starter to the alternator that needs to be checked for voltage.

Once done come back here with the outcome please ........... My guess would be the cable from the + to the starter is the culprit and can be bypassed using a jump lead to see if it starts. If it does crank over and run you need to replace the cable and the fuse that's part of the cable.

Please come back with the results and im sure we can get this problem put to bed (y)

Ps ..... where are you based because if close enough i would gladly get this sorted for you.
Mechanic rang me today (he had car all week, but after changing starter motor, eliminating the battery being at fault so putting mine back, he figured it could only be the wiring loop, he's checked all the wires & couldn't see snything) ... He works alone & had cars booked already before mine, & with his phone ringing, he wanted no distractions to work on mine, so he's been in this morning & looked at that wire you mention, where he said it has a fuse & metal plate inside... On breaking into the wire, there was a hair line crack, & on clamping it together, the car starts! ... He's found a ford part on ebay, but will also ring ford direct...

·
Registered
2010 (60) Kuga Titanium TDCI 163 TXDA
8 Posts
Mechanic rang me today (he had car all week, but after changing starter motor, eliminating the battery being at fault so putting mine back, he figured it could only be the wiring loop, he's checked all the wires & couldn't see snything) ... He works alone & had cars booked already before mine, & with his phone ringing, he wanted no distractions to work on mine, so he's been in this morning & looked at that wire you mention, where he said it has a fuse & metal plate inside... On breaking into the wire, there was a hair line crack, & on clamping it together, the car starts! ... He's found a ford part on ebay, but will also ring ford direct...
This mechanic sounds like a keeper!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts