Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
9,634 Posts
Not a Ford dealer, but another named car brand main dealer, from their used cars
I asked that question because on my last car it would randomly fail a dpf regeneration and the solution was to give it a forced regeneration and then it would be ok. The Kuga doesn't work like that and is a much improved system to how my Mazda was.

Asked them for the fault codes.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga 2011 Zetec TDCI 140 2WD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I asked that question because on my last car it would randomly fail a dpf regeneration and the solution was to give it a forced regeneration and then it would be ok. The Kuga doesn't work like that and is a much improved system to how my Mazda was.

Asked them for the fault codes.
I sent them an email straight away, but obviously it was a Friday evening 16.50pm, so didnt expect a response....

We planned to ring the RAC over the weekend to get their take on it, however we had some bad weather, so anchored down at home, then I fell ill & we had various commitments, meaning we had no way of getting the car back to them - its a 2 person job, as the garage is 13miles away, so we need both our cars, so we can travel back in the one car after.... I emailed them back last week, with a photo of all the lights on the dashboard & also asked what the fault code had been & why it had failed to regen on it's own.....

No answer to those questions, but he replied saying he had copied in the technician & the service manager.... Car booked in again for tomorrow..... lets see what happens this week!

·
Registered
2.0L Duratorq-TDCi (136PS) - DW10 2008
18 Posts
Could be the start of the instrument cluster is a very common failure, this will cause an intermittent failure of all instruments, lights and gauges. If the instrument cluster fails while driving then this will often cause the engine to cut out. If failure happens while attempting to start the vehicle then it will prevent the engine from starting. You will notice the immobilizer light flashes continuously when the instrument cluster fails and the mileage reading will only show dashes (-------) instead of the mileage. The fault normally always starts out as an intermittent fault but will become permanent with time.

Common Failure symptoms:​
  • Loss of all instrument cluster functions and lights
  • Speedometer and rev counter drops to zero
  • Engine cuts out while driving
  • Non start
  • Immobiliser light flashes

·
Registered
2.0L Duratorq-TDCi (136PS) - DW10 2008
18 Posts
Common fault codes:​
  • P1260-Theft detected
  • U0121-lost comms with abs
  • U0140-lost comms with body control
  • U0001-high speed can communication bus
  • U1900-can bus fault
  • U2012-can communication error
  • P0500-vehicle speed sensor a intermittent
  • U0001-high speed can communication bus intermittent
  • P1260-theft detected vehicle immobilized intermittent
  • U0155-can data from hybrid electronic cluster module not received by tcm permanent
  • U0001-high speed can communication bus intermittent
  • U0101-lost communication with tcm permanent
  • P0106-manifold absolute pressure /baro sensor range performance intermittent
  • P0108-manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit high input
  • P1000-obd II cycle not completed
  • U1900-can communication bus fault - receive error intermittent
  • U2510-can invalid data for vehicle security intermittent
  • U2197-invalid vehicle speed data intermittent
  • U2200-invalid odo count data intermittent
  • U0155-Engine ecu lost communication with instrument cluster
  • U2510-can invalid data for vehicle security intermittent
  • U2197-invalid vehicle speed data intermittent
  • U2200-invalid odo count data intermittent
  • U0155-Engine ecu lost communication with instrument cluster

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Could be the start of the instrument cluster is a very common failure, this will cause an intermittent failure of all instruments, lights and gauges. If the instrument cluster fails while driving then this will often cause the engine to cut out. If failure happens while attempting to start the vehicle then it will prevent the engine from starting. You will notice the immobilizer light flashes continuously when the instrument cluster fails and the mileage reading will only show dashes (-------) instead of the mileage. The fault normally always starts out as an intermittent fault but will become permanent with time.

Common Failure symptoms:​

• Loss of all instrument cluster functions and lights
  • Speedometer and rev counter drops to zero
  • Engine cuts out while driving
  • Non start
  • Immobiliser light flashes
Initially, we picked up the car from the garage & drove it locally a few days, noticing that the airbag light came on..... We had a ride out to visit family (motorway, 90mile round trip), where, on the return leg, the engine management light appeared..... The car also had uneven revs when stopped at traffic lights idling (ie it felt like the car wanted to move/drive when you had your foot on the brake) .... we had a 2nd motorway journey, again on the return leg, the engine management light came on & also the engine malfunction warning triangle, which made it then loose some power.... no other lights come on & the dials/guages all seem fine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, they have had the car since Monday 6th December.....

Just had a phone call off them, to say, the door hinge is sorted & the rattle on the dashboard (yes they had already fixed that the first time the car went back in!) .... & that they cant find any other fault codes showing up!! ..... but that the airbag one means my passenger airbag is not working & they have booked my car with a Ford garage for them to sort the issue, but its not until the 12th Jan!! ... They said I can pick the car back up, rather than leave it with them, but from a safety point of view, I wont have a working passenger airbag!

The lady receptionist went on to say, they cant get any other codes & it needs to be on Ford machines to understand/better read it, at the expense of the garage I bought it from.... Just wondering if I should better arrange it down the road at my local Ford garage? rather than the one nearer to the garage I bought it from?

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
181 Posts
Just seen this thread

Like above there is a common fault on the dashboard that may cause some of these issues.

Also even if it's not wet in the passenger footwell it is a possible cause, it was a common leak point in there, and unfortunately where it leaked there it was directly beside the fuses and relays so if it has leaked in the past and been fixed then it could have corroded some of the electrics back there, so I'd lift up the carpets and look see if there's any water staining

On another point given your last car was a ford, if you like the brand it really may be worth getting an ELM327 with a switch eg. The link below

That combined with some free software called Forscan will give you plus a laptop the same diagnostic capability as a Ford dealer as you can talk to all the modules on it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just seen this thread

Like above there is a common fault on the dashboard that may cause some of these issues.

Also even if it's not wet in the passenger footwell it is a possible cause, it was a common leak point in there, and unfortunately where it leaked there it was directly beside the fuses and relays so if it has leaked in the past and been fixed then it could have corroded some of the electrics back there, so I'd lift up the carpets and look see if there's any water staining

On another point given your last car was a ford, if you like the brand it really may be worth getting an ELM327 with a switch eg. The link below

That combined with some free software called Forscan will give you plus a laptop the same diagnostic capability as a Ford dealer as you can talk to all the modules on it
Thanks..... would the fault on the dashboard, cause the loss of power or the uneven revs? .... I get that a dashboard fault would cause the various lights to come on/off.... but didnt think it would cause a physical thing?

Thanks,.... Im bearing it in mind re a possible previous fixed leak, that could have corroded some of the fuses & electrics...

Apart from driving from A to B, filling up with fuel & making sure other bits are topped up.... anything beyond that is usually a call to our breakdown service or a trip to my local mechanic, if its not something easily fixable by my partner & adult son....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
We have just taken the car back into the dealer today, for it to be taken to the Ford dealer tomorrow...
Since we picked it up just before Christmas, it has basically sat in our drive.... We started it up a handful of times & maybe driven it once or twice...
Hope Ford can sort things better than what has been done so far

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
181 Posts
Im not sure what a powershift is? .... It's a Ford Kuga 2011 Zetec TDCI 140 2WD
Powershift is a type of automatic gearbox, there were two types used on the mk1s and one of them is notorious for being expensive to fix

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
181 Posts
Thanks..... would the fault on the dashboard, cause the loss of power or the uneven revs? .... I get that a dashboard fault would cause the various lights to come on/off.... but didnt think it would cause a physical thing?

Thanks,.... Im bearing it in mind re a possible previous fixed leak, that could have corroded some of the fuses & electrics...

Apart from driving from A to B, filling up with fuel & making sure other bits are topped up.... anything beyond that is usually a call to our breakdown service or a trip to my local mechanic, if its not something easily fixable by my partner & adult son....
It is "possible", because signals from the dash do get fed back into the drive system, however I would say this is unlikely.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So I chased up the garage, who said they were waiting to pay the Ford dealers, where they had taken my car, they got back to me to say I could go collect it myself from this Ford garage, that all was sorted.....

Off we went on Tuesday, to find where the garage was & pick up the car..... they said it was some wiring that needed sorting on the seatbelt warning light issue... that the fault codes were cleared & it was all ok.... no mention of anything about the Engine Management Light or the Engine Warning Triangle, both of which come on & affect the car's performance.... We thought, maybe the wiring issue for the seatbelt was also causing the other issues? ..... We got it back home, no issues, great!

Today, my partner drove a 90mile round trip on the motorway, using my car, to visit his family.... all was ok on the way there, but on the way back, you've guessed it, the Engine Management Light came on!!!

Im fed up!!! .... thinking of simply running it to our local Ford garage while the light is on, so they can plug it in there & find the fault code, as it seems the garage I bought it from (another brand name main dealer) never see the issue & also seems the garage they sent it to, didnt find the fault either!

·
Registered
Mk1 Kuga 2.0d 163ps manual 4x4
144 Posts
The only thing that is certain is that it won't fix itself. Don't delay, take it back. It has been a couple of months now of you trying to get them to fix it. Time for your money back.

It might be an easy/inexpensive fix, but you bought from a main dealer to avoid this headache.

Reactions: Psshaw

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The only thing that is certain is that it won't fix itself. Don't delay, take it back. It has been a couple of months now of you trying to get them to fix it. Time for your money back.

It might be an easy/inexpensive fix, but you bought from a main dealer to avoid this headache.
Thanks....
I have just emailed the garage ....

We picked up the car from the Ford dealers, on Tuesday, where you had sent it for repair.
The seatbelt warning symbol which would light up, has now been fixed, after the garage have done some re-wiring.
However, the main issue, of the Engine Management Light coming on, has still not gone away.
My partner did a 90mile motorway round trip to visit family & see if the problem had been eradicated, but sadly, on ignition of the engine on the return journey, the EML came back on.
This has been a problem since I initially purchased the car in November!
I personally have only driven the car about 3 times, as it becomes undriveable for me.
I need it to tow, & I cant even get the car to the other side of town, without the EML coming on.
The EML comes on, followed by the Engine Malfunction Warning Triangle & the car looses all power.
I am prepared to give you one more chance of fixing the issue.
Otherwise I will be seeking a full refund & returning the car to you.
I purchased the car in good faith, I expect it to be driveable.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts