Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Kuga 2011 Zetec TDCI 140 2WD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having owned a Ford Galaxy for the past 4yr (previously having had a Galaxy for 7yr too), due to personal circumstances, we downsized to a Ford Kuga, about 2wks ago.... Its a 2nd hand, 2011 reg, from a main dealer....

We drove the 13mile/25min back, down the roads & motorway, with no issues. We had family commitments so didnt drive it again until 2 days later. On a short trip to the supermarket, the engine management symbol came on, during our drive back. We had local drives over the weekend, where the airbag warning symbol came on. We took the car out in the week, on a 90mile round motorway trip, to visit family - on the way there, no issues, on the way back, the engine management symbol came on again. The performance was not affected, it was generally running ok, with just the 2 amber warning symbols appearing intermittently, so we thought, maybe its just a glitch. (used to have an airbag warning one flash up in a van I had, where it was the connection under the passenger seat that would work loose)

Then last weekend, I was quite un-nerved while on a drive to drop off my daughter, the engine was "running fast" when I was stopped at the lights. My partner came to drive it home, & it happened for him too - seemed to be revving unevenly when idling.

I emailed the dealer on Monday, they told me to arrange to bring it in re the engine management light.

It hasnt been convenient yet to take the car back in, as we needed it this week. My partner drove the 90miles again to visit family & it was ok on the trip over, but an engine malfunction warning triangle appeared on the way back, where the car was lacking in power at times....

Im not impressed

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
The sooner that the dealer gets it into the workshop the better by the sound of it. If it was a Ford dealer from whom you purchased the car they will know that Mk.1 Kugas are notorious for leaks into the passenger side footwell due to cracked or missing mastic where the panels join.

This allows water to affect the electronics in the footwell.

Check the footwell for ANY sign of moisture and, in any event, get the car back to the selling dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After having owned a Ford Galaxy for the past 4yr (previously having had a Galaxy for 7yr too), due to personal circumstances, we downsized to a Ford Kuga, about 2wks ago.... Its a 2nd hand, 2011 reg, from a main dealer....

We drove the 13mile/25min back, down the roads & motorway, with no issues. We had family commitments so didnt drive it again until 2 days later. On a short trip to the supermarket, the engine management symbol came on, during our drive back. We had local drives over the weekend, where the airbag warning symbol came on. We took the car out in the week, on a 90mile round motorway trip, to visit family - on the way there, no issues, on the way back, the engine management symbol came on again. The performance was not affected, it was generally running ok, with just the 2 amber warning symbols appearing intermittently, so we thought, maybe its just a glitch. (used to have an airbag warning one flash up in a van I had, where it was the connection under the passenger seat that would work loose)

Then last weekend, I was quite un-nerved while on a drive to drop off my daughter, the engine was "running fast" when I was stopped at the lights. My partner came to drive it home, & it happened for him too - seemed to be revving unevenly when idling.

I emailed the dealer on Monday, they told me to arrange to bring it in re the engine management light.

It hasnt been convenient yet to take the car back in, as we needed it this week. My partner drove the 90miles again to visit family & it was ok on the trip over, but an engine malfunction warning triangle appeared on the way back, where the car was lacking in power at times....

Im not impressed
Well take the thing back to dealer and get fixed simple or what

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sooner that the dealer gets it into the workshop the better by the sound of it. If it was a Ford dealer from whom you purchased the car they will know that Mk.1 Kugas are notorious for leaks into the passenger side footwell due to cracked or missing mastic where the panels join.

This allows water to affect the electronics in the footwell.

Check the footwell for ANY sign of moisture and, in any event, get the car back to the selling dealer ASAP.
Thanks @NigelB ..... yes we are arranging a mutually convenient time to take it back for them to look at..... It wasnt a Ford dealer, but another brand of main dealer..... We have had a look in the footwell & cant see any moisture, but thank you for the tip.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well take the thing back to dealer and get fixed simple or what
Doh - obviously Im taking it back....

However, having had my previous Galaxy, with a turbo issue that started within a week of having it, getting it sorted, but before lockdown having various warning lights, steering rack problems, loss of power etc.... I thought I had escaped all that, for the **** light to come on, on this car!

My first thought was to check on here for known issues, what the general fix is, so I dont get fobbed off with "we've fixed it" .... for it to happen again 2-3wks down the line...

Having lost 3 family members (1 tragically) in the last 18months, Ive had a lot on my plate, without now dealing again with car issues! Is it too much to ask for a working car these days?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi @MotherGoose and welcome to the forum. I know it’s annoying having to go back but have the dealer read the codes and as @NigelB has suggested check for water in the passenger footwell 👍
Thanks @davidoff

As pointed on the above post, with having a lot on my plate, its a pain that the car isnt running as it should.... The galaxy went through a stage of warning symbols & trying to fault find the codes was often a nightmare - either no code had come up , or the warning went off... Just hope something can be found.... I just wanted a rough idea of common issues, so I wasnt fobbed off by the garage, to find myself back forth ...... yes, we have had a look for water in the footwell, but it seems ok

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum @MotherGoose
Thanks @smartguy69

Having looked at another thread on here, we were able to find our radio code & got the radio to now work

I hate garages fobbing you off with saying theyve fixed it, for the same fault to happen again - been there, got the t-shirt

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
Thanks @smartguy69

Having looked at another thread on here, we were able to find our radio code & got the radio to now work

I hate garages fobbing you off with saying theyve fixed it, for the same fault to happen again - been there, got the t-shirt
Peel the passenger footwell carpet back and this will expose the control module mounted on the bulkhead.

The slightest sign of corrosion from past water ingress would lead me to reject the car TBH. Its not a difficult job to replace the bits but its a pain determining the extent of the he water damage. You fix one bit only for the bit next to it to fail. It would he a real positive feedback f there was no sign of corrosion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took car in on Monday, to leave it with them to be looked at....

Finally they contacted us, late today, to say we can pick up....

They have sorted the passenger door hinge.... they have checked the dashboard screws to eliminate the rattle that we had.... they have done a regen to clear the engine management light - they said that was the only light that came on & the code they found....

We shall see ...

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts

They have sorted the passenger door hinge.... they have checked the dashboard screws to eliminate the rattle that we had.... they have done a regen to clear the engine management light - they said that was the only light that came on & the code they found....

We shall see ...

Fingers crossed for you.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,226 Posts

We shall see ...
My fingers are crossed for you too. I trust the dealer looked into why the dpf had failed to regenerate. If they haven't then as soon as the soot load reaches capacity it will fail to regenerate and the light will come back on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My fingers are crossed for you too. I trust the dealer looked into why the dpf had failed to regenerate. If they haven't then as soon as the soot load reaches capacity it will fail to regenerate and the light will come back on.
They just told me on the phone yesterday, that the car was ready, & the only light that had come on was the engine management one & the only code was to do a regen? ...... They didnt explain what had caused it.... so I am worried that given a few days, it will be back on again.... surely as well as sorting what the code said, you then trace why the fault happened in the first place?

I have owned diesel vehicles since 2007 - Ford Galaxy, Vauxhall Vivaro van, Ford Galaxy again ... I know if you do little short journeys about town, that its good to give them a good blow out on the motorway or dual carriage way..... My sister in law had a Vauxhall Vivaro minibus from new, with constant dpf issues

·
Registered
Mk1 Kuga 2.0d 163ps manual 4x4
92 Posts
Get yourself an ELM 327 Bluetooth code reader and Torque app on your phone - if the light(s) come back at least you can get the code. Problem the dealer may have is if the codes disappear with an engine restart, they are in the dark as to what they are looking for; if you capture the info at the time the lights are on that may help them.

Reactions: MotherGoose

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, that didnt last long!!!

We parked up, after arriving back from the garage, then nipped to the supermarket, all was fine & we topped up with fuel too.

Just been out to the garden centre, & bam! all the lights came on - engine management light, airbag light, engine malfunction warning light... plus when stopped still, the uneven revving .... & the engine seems to reach its temp quickly?

It was 4.50pm..... so sent them an email.

The Kuga is a lovely car..... if it wasnt for the issues.... grrrhhh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts