Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2010 60 plate 2WD Kuga Titanium. I bought it when it was 8 months old with 15,000 recorded miles. It now has 70,000. The car developed a whining noise recently, and it was diagnosed at a local garage whilst in for its MOT as coming from the power steering pump, which is located behind the front off side headlight unit.They demonstrated it to me whilst the car was on its ramps.It got worse!!!I was told that it had to be looked at by a main dealer as it was linked to the engine management system.
Here's where everything started to go wrong.
<ul>[*]First visit to main dealer and a brief test drive with the workshop foreman, who confirmed the noise, he suspected the power steering pump, and it was booked in for investigation the following week.[*]In it went only to be returned to me tea time that day saying no noise could be heard. On leaving the car park I was amazed to hear the loud whining noise immediately.[*]Tried a different main dealer who confirmed what the noise was likely to be ( power steering pump and/or rack), however they couldn't book me in for 4 to 5 weeks.[*]Back to main dealer, test drive, confirmed noise, booked in again.[*]Power steering pump changed, bill paid, drove out of car park and yes, you guessed it, loud whining noise!!!![*]Back in again, test drive, and confirmed whining noise. "will have to make some enquiries and check with Ford technical". How difficult can it be, I ask?[*]Does anybody have any idea what it might be. It comes and goes with the turning of the steering wheel, sometimes on permanently whilst driving straight, sometimes not. Mmmmm!!![/list]

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Might be the steering rack seals ... ?
http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/153553-mondeo-mk4-whining-steering-pump-steering-failure/page-3

..."The service manager said that they've found that the normal issue is the seals on the rack start to break down and block the filter in thefluidreservoir. The blocked filter causes the pump to struggle to pull enough fluid through causing the foaming and noise.
The original officialFordfixwas to replace the pump. They obviously found that didn't work and were directed to replace the rack, pump and reservoir in one hit.<br style="color: rgb40, 40, 40; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22.4px;"><br style="color: rgb40, 40, 40; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22.4px;">The dealer said that they now open the reservoir up and inspect the filter before doing anything other work to see what; if any; debris is inside. They have replaced a large number of racks and reservoirs only, flushed the system and left the pumps alone. None of the cars have come back in and the pumps have been silent after the repair. He claims the pumps pulley bearing; being external and do not need fluid lubrication; and the the fact the filter is only restricting the fluid slighty causes no internal damage."...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts