Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I’m looking for some feedback, in case anyone has experimented with these.

As per Ford, the bulb we all have in our Kugas bi-xenon headlights is Osram "D3S Original".

The manufacturers product page lists it here: https://www.osram.com/ecat/XENARC ORIGINAL-Xenon headlight lamps-Cars-Automotive Lighting/com/en/GPS01_1056953/PP_EUROPE_Europe_eCat/ZMP_61165/

Then there is a “Nightbreaker” version, which costs 2.5X and claims to give “200%” more light and “20%” whither light, as per: https://www.osram.com/ecat/XENARC NIGHT BREAKER LASER-Xenon headlight lamps-Trucks-Automotive Lighting/com/en/GPS01_3043393/PP_EUROPE_Europe_eCat/ZMP_4057844/

Now, if I open the Data Sheet PDF product specification file for either of these (seemingly very different) bulbs, they both list IDENTICAL technical specification:

Electrical data Power input: 35 W
Nominal voltage: 42.0 V
Nominal wattage: 35.00 W
Power input tolerance: ±3 %
Test voltage: 13.5 V
Photometrical data Luminous flux: 3200 lm
Luminous flux tolerance: ±15 %

The only difference being that the Nightbreaker has the color temp listed as 4400K, while the standard bulb has 4300K, which is totally indistinguishable.

So, I was just wondering if I were the only one thinking this is a pure marketing B/S to strip you off of your hard earned money for no visible improvement whatsoever…?

I'm no electrical engineer, but if all the specs are the same, then wouldn't the output of the device in Q be the exact same, as well...?

Has anyone swapped their original bulbs for a pair of these (or any other bulbs claiming to be 150%, 200%, 300% or whatnot brighter...?

I'd really appreciate your feedback :D

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
The principle that manufacturers of legal +% lamps work to is that the total light output remains the same, but the light pattern is shifted to put more light in a different direction, usually to the front. So, while it may say 200% more light, it is not 200% more light in total, its just redirected. If it is 200% more total light, they would be illegal.

If you have got the specifications and they say they are road legal, the you will find the light output is actually the same.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The principle that manufacturers of legal +% lamps work to is that the total light output remains the same, but the light pattern is shifted to put more light in a different direction, usually to the front. So, while it may say 200% more light, it is not 200% more light in total, its just redirected. If it is 200% more total light, they would be illegal.

If you have got the specifications and they say they are road legal, the you will find the light output is actually the same.
Exactly, as the lumen specs are the exact same - 3200 - for both bulbs.

That said, I wonder how much the light pattern can be altered (if at all) given the bi-xenon headlights on 2017 onwards Kugas have the computer position and adjust the light pattern for the best road illumination, based on the input from the camera that sits on the top of the windshield. There are 7 positions the adaptive lighting has and the right one will be determined based on the vehicles speed and road conditions, including the auto high-beam...

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
My sentiments entirely regards how much can the pattern.

·
Registered
121 Posts
OSRAM NIGHTBRAKER LASER are brighter than OEM.
OSRAM CBB too and they generate very nice, modern white crisp colour, but unfortunately not road legal

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi got a new kuga 6 month old awd and find the lights poor i had a merc and the lights were brilliant whit allmost blue and on a dark night the whole road was lit up , i find the kuga ,s are yellow and not way out in front in other words pure crap poor. im going to look into merc bulbs and see if they will do

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
hi got a new kuga 6 month old awd and find the lights poor i had a merc and the lights were brilliant whit allmost blue and on a dark night the whole road was lit up , i find the kuga ,s are yellow and not way out in front in other words pure crap poor. im going to look into merc bulbs and see if they will do
There are a number of threads regarding upgrading the poor halogen headlights, usually with LED bulbs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
dom Do you have got halogen or xenon headlights?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts