Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a newbie so please be nice

I've a couple of questions which hopefully you experienced owners can answer for me.....

* What sort of control of an Ipod would i get with the Sony DAB radio, will i be able to scroll through tracks from the steering wheel (i appreciate i won't be able to seee track lists etc) and do i need the USB extra for this or would the standard 3.5mm jack be enough ??

* I've got a normal portable TomTom satnav which i'll be continuing to use, i'll be needing a power socket for it but can only see one power socket around the drivers seat area which is near the handbrake, i don't want cables stretching across the gearstick to the window mounted Tomtom so does anyone know of any closer power outlets or alternatives which will make it tidier ???? (i was thinking of threading my own power cable through the small accessory tray under the windscreen ?!?!?!?

If anyone can offer any advice then i'd be very appreciative

Cheers

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi curtlyb,
First of all welcome to the forum, I'm sure everyone will make you feel welcome.

I don't have my Kuga yet (only 2 weeks to go hopefully) but in response to one of your queries, the 3.5mm aux input will allow any mp3 device including any ipod to play music through the Stereo (both Sony & Ford unit). If you want to change tracks / albums etc on the ipod then you will need the USB option, which allows you to control the ipod (possibly only certain models) through the stereo controls. The USB option also allows you to plug in a USB memory stick with your music on and some portable USB hard drives, all of which are controlled through the stereo controls. I'm sure someone who has there Kuga will be able to verify this but try searching some other threads on ipod and USB and you will see the possibilities and required leads etc.

Regards
Ursus

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi curtlyb,

On the subject of your portable TomTom.  I have threaded a wire into the accessory tray and have a mount connected to the plastic surround.  I don't like or trust having a mount connected to the window.
I connected into a switched ignition live a 12v to usb (5v) connector and have this connected into the tray.

BTW  The sat nav also doubles as a reversing camera.

I have included some pictures to show the result.

I screwed the sat nav mount directly to the plastic surround.  When the sat nav is removed not very noticable.

Rubber tray and plastic surround removed to show where hole was drilled.

It did take a while to fish the cable through but well worth the trouble.

·
Registered
74 Posts
BTW The sat nav also doubles as a reversing camera.

KUGA4WD, I would be very interested in details of this.

Thanks KugaKid.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi KugaKid

The Satnav is a Binatone t430 see reviews in the links below

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/binatone-t430-camera-review-r6491.php
http://www.satnavreviews.co.uk/reviews-74-binatone-carrera-t430-uk-reversing-camera.html

Not the best satnav but the only one that I could find having the camera function.

It can be hacked as it runs under Windows CE so you could run TomTom etc

I modified the camera and mounted it just above the number plate, its the square object in the picture below.

The camera works very well, as soon as I select reverse the satnav screen change to the camera view.
The camera is connected by 2 wires one to earth the other to the reversing lamp wire in the tailgate.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi KUGA4WD, Thanks for the info. I think I will go for this set-up.

KugaKid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys for your advice.....

Kuga4wd, the photo's are fab, thanks for going to the trouble...... couple of questions.........

Was the rubber tray easy to remove on the dash, does it just flip out ???
Where did you get a 12v source for the usb cable ???

Cheers again

Edited by: curtlyb

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi curtlyb

Yes the rubber tray just lifts out.

To take the plastic surround off just pull up and it clips off, it needs a bit of force.

I found an ignition switched live behind the radio and used that.  As I have quite a lot of other gadgets connected I used this to switch a relay and used a fuse supply directly from the battery.

You could just plug it into the accessory socket when you want to use it but still have the cable up to the tray.

Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi friend, does the camera not need to be plugged into the head unit?, ie is it just a case of sharing the reversle light wire from the boot and ground?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts