Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We have the auto wipers on our kuga but last week on the way back from dorset in the tipping rain they refused to wipe. Put the wipers on the next speed no problem at all but the intermittant / auto setting got only one wipe then nothing. If you then rotated the dial for length between wipes you got one more wipe but then nothing.

Am I missing something or is it just faulty? Any help appreciated

Josh

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you put it onto intermittant and then rotate the stalks wheel one click from the lowest setting, this should make them work on auto. Otherwise there may be a problem with them. I sometimes find that there is not enough rain to get them going, rotating the wheel to a faster setting and then bringing it back for auto seems to kick start it.

Andy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
mine are rain sensing wipers...is that what you mean by auto....if they are rain sensing ones the button or wheel on the stalk that you rotate makes it more sensitive...if this doesnt work and you do have rain sensing wipers it sounds as if you have a fault

·
Registered
34 Posts
If the wipers are left in auto when youstop you need to turn them off the on again to make them start sensing when you start up again.

TBHit sounds like you may have a problem with yours as it should have worked as you described

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,
I too have the rain sensing wipers, but I am not in the least impressed with them. They just don't respond soon enough; end up having to have the wipers on full time, even in light rain. Much preferred the self-set intermittent wipe on my old Fiesta. I asked my dealer if it was possible to adjust the sensitivity, but as far as he knew it wasn't possible. Seems like backward progress to me!
I should add that this is one of the few things about my Kuga that I don't like!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
high5grt said:
If the wipers are left in auto when youstop you need to turn them off the on again to make them start sensing when you start up again.

TBHit sounds like you may have a problem with yours as it should have worked as you described

You sure about that - I've had about 6 cars now all with the same and I've never had to switch it off to get them to work again.

What you must remember is that the sensor at the top of the screen needs to be hit my rain for it to wipe which is why sometimes it can take ages to wipe and others seem to never be off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
must admit im not over impressed with the auto sensors either. it has to be bucketing it down for the sensor to turn the wipers on. i end up putting them onto manual.

·
Registered
106 Posts
hi there park house...you can adjust the sensitivity of the wipers...mine work great intermittent when its drizzly and on all the time when it rains hard

·
Registered
136 Posts
parkhousetotty said:
must admit im not over impressed with the auto sensors either. it has to be bucketing it down for the sensor to turn the wipers on. i end up putting them onto manual.

i agree - i had auto wipers on my mondeo st - they were useless! Im guessing the Kuga ones are very similar

not sensitive enough - couldnt wait to get back to manual ones
Edited by: moggith

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my new kuga for 2 weeks and love the car . But exactly the same thing happened today with the wipers . In the auto setting ( first click up of the stalk ) the wipers did not come on at all and it was heavy rain . If i rotated the switch which controls the sensitivity , they would swipe only once . At a standstill I switched the stalk to the off position then back to the intemittant / rain sensing position and they swiped once and not again ! It sounds like the same problem as yours .

Has any of the advice you have been given helped as I find it strange that you would have to turn the auto system off and back on again at the start of every journey before the car is started to reset the system ?? Any suggestions as I do not want to go back to Ford if it is something that I am not understanding !!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine seem to be auto all the time, I don't need to fiddle with the stalk much, just the sensitivity now and again, but certainly auto on startup without resetting the stalk. I must say that perhaps they wipe less than other auto wipers I've had although for me they are spot on, I don't over wipe (used to racing off road with very low visibility so slow wiper reaction is not a problem).

·
Registered
44 Posts
yes, I have auto wipers and they work really well practically all the time. At odd times they seem a little insensitive and other times over sensitive, but that's life isn't it? after all, myKuga is a she. they kick back into autook if you just pay her a little attention and help

·
Registered
439 Posts
I find them a bit annoying as well. My last mondeos worked well but the Kugas has a mind of their own! I've also had it pouring down and they wont wipe to the other extreme of them wiping continuosly when theres a spit in the wind!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem as gokugago and josh bear, but there was no solution to the problem in this thread.

Does anyone know what's wrong when the wipers act up like that?

Edited by: CamaroKid

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Auto wipers work on 'fuzzy logic' and not really sensitivity,so takes into consideration the time between the last wipe and the next in an attempt to determine the trend in density of rain on the windscreen thus the frequency of wipe. It is susceptible to road grease in front of the light/rain sensors so a good clean in this area may assist.

Mine on my MK2 Kuga work fine as did my old Mondeo which was the same build period as the Kuga MK1.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine on my MK1 Kuga works fine but I do clean the screen regular especially around the sensor. I had one on my Audi and that also needed the screen cleanedof wax and grease

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
I use Prestone screen wash in the washer bottle and it seems to clear the whole screen of road deposits and runs from wash and wax so not had to actually clean the sensor area particularly, but your right Dave.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I remember setting mine when I got the car and the first rain came, they have worked great ever since giving the odd wipe in drizzle to staying on all the time in heavy rain and speeding up in very heavy rain, I never reset the switch and they always come on when it rains with the only clue that they are on auto is that they don`t park correctly until it stops raining.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The windshield is clean, but I can of course try to clean a little extra in that area.

However, I was under the impression that it was possible to oversteer the automatic wipers by turning the little wheel at the handle (like in a "normal" car).
When I turn the wheel, they swipe only once.

Are you saying that this wheel only adjusts the sensitivity of the system, and does not work like intermittent wipers on a regular wiper system?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts