Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.0 Diesel
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Has anyone got any idea why some times when I press the Power button the ignition comes on but the car will not crank?
Clutch switch seems to work as if I don't press the clutch the computer tells me to.
I usually go through the same routine, Stab the power button multiple times, Check its out of gear, push the clutch a few times, stamp on the brakes and hurl foul language.
Eventually it will start and all runs smooth. No messages, no warnings..... just wont b... crank. I cant see a pattern to the fault. Doesn't seem to be temp related, time of day, first start or anything.
Any ideas?
Only clue I can give is that I had the battery changed about when this started ( Power Steering Malfunction warning !!) by a local diagnostics firm. They said the battery had been fitted to tight and cracked a cell. Problem seemed to start after this but may have been a few weeks?
I'd really appreciate any ideas.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Check the battery voltage before you start the car ... should be 12V or thereabouts... when the car is running, this should be 14V or so.
After that, I'd be looking at the starter motor, could be this is simply aged and starting to get sticky...

·
Registered
2012 2.0 Diesel
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Martin1977.
Had a new battery fitted 2 months ago. Its not that it doesn't turn over, it doesn't even attempt to engage the starter. Its as if it hasn't been asked to start.
If i try with the clutch up the dash says press clutch to start, if i press the clutch, warning goes and some times it fires up but not always. When it dose start it starts well, turns over quick and fires straight away. Its just not receiving the signal to start but the ignition, lights, everything else comes on as normal.
I suspected the clutch switch but as I get a message about pressing the clutch that goes when I do I assume the switch is OK, Unless there are two sets of contacts?
Is there some sort of procedure to go through if the battery is changed??
Its got me stumped.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga MK2 2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS Manual Sync1
314 Posts
I had similar situations in MK1 and also MK2 it happened occasionally and I don't know what is the reason. Batteries under bonnet and key fob ok. But always after second attempt cranked and run normally.

Only time when car could show fault code it's straight after it failed start up, before you crank it successfully.

Only what I guess it might be stuck bendix gear in starter motor.

·
Super Moderator
2,303 Posts
Or, something as simple as a dirty contact in the stopstart switch.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ivechad this recently (before my drive shaft issue,car is still off the road at sealers still awaiting new drive shaft from Ford as none in the UK aparrently, I will say when I pushed the starter, I did hear a fairly audible click, pressed again and it always started second time so I'm guessing starter motor issue, which I will monitor when I get my car back.

·
Registered
2015 TDCi 150 Zetec with all optional extras
13 Posts
I will second what the others have said, easiest thing is to pop the switch out first.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,334 Posts
New switch first as said.

Ours will pause while the glowplugs preheat but thats only happend a couple of times (never failed to start on button press).

Everything wears out eventually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts