Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been having to sort out the insurance for my new (to be collected on 1 September) Kuga for a second time.

I first insured with Bell via confused.com at a very good price, but having got the paperwork through was astounded to see that the policy summary states that "we will not pay any modifications unless they form part of the manufacturer's STANDARD specification" - in other words they wouldn't pay out for convenience pack, appearance pack, 18" alloys, etc etc.

I checked this with them and they confirmed that this was correct, and also that I would have to pay a higher premium for having those factory fitted extras as they made the car more attractive to steal even though they wouldn't pay out for them if the car was stolen!!

Needless to say I cancelled the policy then and there and have now gone to Esure at a higher price although not that much more by using Quidco, as they were only interested in knowing about the 18" alloys, not the packs,and do cover them althoughthere is a slight addition in the premium for them. They also stated that had I not declared the factory fitted optional alloys this could have invalidated my cover in the event of a claim!

So everyone with any factory fitted options, let alone dealer or privately fitted, and that is probably just about every Kuga owner, should check with their insurer that they are covered!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the warning on this point, it is often overlooked.All Insurance companies look for any excuse not to pay out if they can help it. I just hope that having a full tank of fuel does not contradict theManufacturer's Standard Specification either!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
had a problem similar with my wife's mini. £6k worth of extras, none covered with Elephant.co.uk! Some fully comp policies no longer include windscreen cover when brought on-line so great tip to be very careful when shopping around.
Thanks for the reminder mondeoman

·
Registered
108 Posts
Insurance companies arepond life... they are glad to take ya hard earned but dont want to do anything for it!

T0ssers i hate insurance...

They should give premiums back if you dont make a claim!

and why push the premium up if they wont replace whats insured... talk about cake and eat it!

Irate insurance companieslower than parking wardens!

Sorry to those who work in insurance - but they really do take the biscuit!

At last rant over... lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm with esure and when I phoned to change the policy to the Kuga, I had a right mess around.

I just mentioned the appearance pack and that was it........how big are the wheels?..............are they Ford fitted.?.....................are they alloy???..................followed by how "tinted" are the windows (that one caught me out), who tinted them etc...etc...?

Eventually, when I explained for about the fifth time, (but now to a manager), that they were all a Ford option and that the windows would not be illegal, they gave me the cover (for a reasonable price- £320).

However, my policy does have the tinted windows down as a modification.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My wife and I are expecting our new little addition to our family on the 1st also.

To get the garage to tax it for me you are asked to ring Ford Insure for your free 7 day drive away insurance. I'm 35 with a clean license full no claims and they quoted me £900.00 and the girl on the other end said "thats not bad would you like to set that up now sir ?"

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just laugh whenever I get a FordInsure quote for driveaway cover...

On my ST it was about £1500 when I got it from Admiral for £500....

With the Kuga it was about twice what I pay with Privilege Insurance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got mine changed over with no extra charge currently with elephant but it is now up for renewal they do not cover the factory fitted extras. they will charge you extra for them but if you claim then you revert back to 17" alloys not 18" and untinted glass ect. rip off. has anyone got any good quotes out there for convenience pack and appearance pack

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ford qouted me £750 when I took out the free 7 day cover to get it taxed, a similar qoute from elephant was £277. Just changed the car over with my present insurer (direct line) and it cost me an extra £89 coming from a Polo TDi Sport.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had a price of about £800 off Fordinsure for our Titanium with convenience and appearance pack. As with the poster earlier the lady said this was agood price!! We then had a quote from our existing insurers - HSBC - and it was £291 which was a rise of £40 from our Focus edge tdci - we double checked about the extra packs etc and were told that as long as they were factory fitted it wouldnt affect the premium - they were only concerend with mods to the engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had exactly the same response from my insurance company. As long as they are eitherFord fitted extras by the factory or dealer all are covered.

·
Registered
61 Posts
who are you insurers titanium? because i just got a quote from swinton for £345. i know that circumstances are different, location ect but i must be able to get it for cheaper

·
Registered
119 Posts
Swinton refused to quote me because I have more than 2 factory fitted options !! and one company said I was to old. Some have said Kuga ..... whats that then! So after 2 weeks of phone calls I've chucked the towel in and am staying with direct line.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi JT Trouble

My insurance is with AXA and I go thru my broker Lifesure Group in St Neots. I find them fantastic and work for me. I get fed up of on line asking this and that everytime, I do check other site but Lifesure can always match. My 56 plate ST-3 was£427 with 3 drivers and now (although I've carried everything over) it would be £337 for my cicumstances.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went with esure - £347 for 2 named drivers, full business use and no voluntary excess - LESS £75 by going through Quidco - so a total of £272. Not bad I'm thinking.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Try CHURCHILL mine is a titanium in panther black with xpack,appearance,convenience pack 18" alloys & detachable tow bar &insured for £279 with myself & wife named drivers.....(we do have the other car insured thru them & house insurance also so this may give you a little discount)..... good luck !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts