Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kuga MK1 4x4 2.0d 136hp
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,
yesterday driving the car just shut off. Cranking but no indication to start... After some checks I found that the in-tank pump is not working.

My questions are:
1. Since there is no actual service hole under the back seats it seems that fuel tank has to be remove from the car. Do you have experience with that or manual may be ?
2. Can only the Pump element to be replaced or I have to replace the whole in-tank unit ?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
Premium White 2018 Kuga ST 183BHP Auto 4x4
313 Posts
You would have to take tank out and the fuel pump is a non serviceable. before condeming pump check it is OK electrically.

·
Registered
Kuga MK1 4x4 2.0d 136hp
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would have to take tank out and the fuel pump is a non serviceable. before condeming pump check it is OK electrically.
Hi Dibble, based on one diagram I found, the cables under the seat are 5 , the 2 thick ones Black and Orange-Green should be the power feed to the pump, I probe them and during cranking I get around 10V ( my battery was already low due to many tries to stat the car yesterday) Also checked the fuse 111 - 5Amp looks good, even I replaced it with new one just in case.

But during cranking pump is silent, but the whole is very small and I cant reach the connector to check it too.

·
Registered
Kuga MK1 4x4 2.0d 136hp
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Before conclude the issue with the in-tank pump I checked:
1. High pressure valve on the high pressure pump - I took it out (it was rusty and nasty dirty which really surprise me since this should be the clean part of the system)
I feed it with 12V battery power and valve was moving fast and long way, when connected to the source cable during cranking is moving with faster but shorter mm.
2. I also drain with electric pump few liters of fuel from the IN pipe of the filter and few from OUT pipe to check for blockage but all looks good.
3. During cranking no fuel comes from the IN pipe to the filter
4. In the beginning I spay some Break cleaner to the intake pipe and the car immediately start and die in few seconds.

So since the in-tank pump is not really accessible I can't measure the resistance.

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
93 Posts
I replaced this on my car today. It is just one combined pump and sender unit with the float attached too.

A previous owner of my car had tried to access this by way of an angle grinder rather than dropping the tank. This meant I had access so was relatively easy. I do NOT advise you to do it this way there is a gap from the floor of the car to the tank but it narrows in places and an angle grinder is not something you want hitting your fuel tank...
Here's an image of what the unit looks like.

·
Registered
Kuga MK1 4x4 2.0d 136hp
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced this on my car today. It is just one combined pump and sender unit with the float attached too.

A previous owner of my car had tried to access this by way of an angle grinder rather than dropping the tank. This meant I had access so was relatively easy. I do NOT advise you to do it this way there is a gap from the floor of the car to the tank but it narrows in places and an angle grinder is not something you want hitting your fuel tank...
Here's an image of what the unit looks like.
View attachment 6544
Hi Stevros3 thanks for the reply, this is what I was looking for :) I heard it is possible on other cars that unit is also combine (even it is not advertise) you can replace only the fuel pump element if you are able to remove it from the body of the delivery unit. Do you thing by looking into the old unit this is possible ?

I manage to start the car actually I am not sure how yet :)

I place external electrical pump on the fuel line IN to the filter and to the pipe to the HPP and while cranking the engine, I tried to simulate intank pump, but the connectors I made were not perfect match and I lot of air came in.
Nevertheless I tried to remove the air but some spray in the intake pipe and on 3rd the car actually start ( I tried this before 2-3 times in week before) so my guess is:
a) pump was stuck and I unstuck it with the external pump
b)there is dead collector on the rotor of the pump engine and spin it enough to move to the next one

it is working now but who knows for how long so I am looking forward to remove the pump out and fix it permanently :)

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
93 Posts
I think you'd struggle to just replace the pump. It was well embeded in the black plastic part (not that I was looking) but there didn't seem any obvious ways of seperating the two sections out. Certainly the way it was assembled it was supplied to Ford pre-assembled. I haven't seen any signs of them being sold individually, so I think it's the full unit you'd need tbh.

·
Registered
Kuga MK1 4x4 2.0d 136hp
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well at least I tried :) the inevitable tank drop will come one one of the next sunny weekends :D

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
93 Posts
Good luck with it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts