Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kuga is on my short list along with the VW Tiguan and Freelander 2. I currently tow with a mondeo TDCi ST155 which although excellent comes in at 105% on the percentage rating. Obviously 85% is thought to be the ideal but not set in stone.

The Mondeo has plenty of power but I am a little concerned about tail and dog wagging?

The freelander option worries me on reliability/fuel consumption/cost

The VW Tig is a little short on kerb appeal

So the Kuga, its only 45kg heavier than my mondeo so comes in at 99% which is obviously not a massive difference on paper.

I love the styling and massive spec available on the kuga but dont want to find myself struggling on the towing side.

One of the problems with the mondeo is the low tow ball height which would be resolved no doubt on the kuga. (can anyone tell me what height their kuga ball come out at?)

My 'van is a 2009 Abbey Spectrum single axle miro 1345 kg, mtplm 1550kg

I need some positive comments on the kuga as I dont want to really spend all my time in the land rover service reception

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Ashtons99

I have just started towing with my Kuga and it's great.

I tow just over 1400 kg so am lighter than you but found the Kuga a willing workhorse.

Although the car is not yet run-in having done only a thousand miles, it pulled well and took all hills, both long and short, in it's stride.

Again, because it is not run-in I am trying to keep the revs down. I was still able to use sixth gear on the flat and on some inclines.

My overall fuel consumption when towing was 26 mpg.

As for the tow ball height mine comes out at 470 mm (18 1/2 inches) This should be the standard height.

If there is a downside to the Kuga and travelling any distance it is that the boot is not the largest around.Stuff you may have carried in the car to reduce the weight on the van may now have to go in the caravan.

I admit to being a reluctant 4x4 owner but am suprised how comfortable and capable theKuga is.

I would say go for it and enjoy yourself.

Shadow

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hiashtons99 I can second what Shadow says. OK we only tow an MTPLM of 1296kg and the only downside is that with th Kuga you can forget the van is on the back. After finding ourselves doing 80MPH on our weeks holiday down to Dorset we swapped the Garmin for a TomTom Live 940 where we can set a max speed alarm.

The outfit never flinched on the Motorway when overtaking HGV's and even behaved during an emergency swerve when some idiot suddenly overtook us from tailgating us (the skid marks were not only on the road!).

If your van does not have Al-Ko ATS then get the Ford Towbar and Electrics fitted as that includes the Trailer Assist tied into the Kuga's stability computer.

The 2l Engine does seem to be very willing...

Have fun....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, i appreciate your feedback. Obviously the newness of these cars means that reviews of them as a tow vehicle are quite few and far between.

·
Registered
855 Posts
hi all
towed my abbey GTS418 last week had no problems except I tried a grassey steepish gradient to park my caravan on my garden and was having to slip the clutch (which is not recommended)and the smell was awfull.Having this probem before on my galaxy when reversing is not recommended,after a few miles the smell disappeared so be careful

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have just towed with the kuga for the first time and we pull an Abbey Vogue GTS 416. Compared with the Maverick which we used to tow with the kuga gave a much better pull.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dragons Wings said:
We have just towed with the kuga for the first time and we pull an Abbey Vogue GTS 416. Compared with the Maverick which we used to tow with the kuga gave a much better pull.

Wow - some real Caravaners out there towing at this time of year. Ours is packed up in storage with the battery on maintenance charge at home in the garage.

Last trip out was to Pidley in Cambs in 1st weekend in December and it snowed on the last night and during my packing up to hitch up. With frozen fingers I decided there and then to pack up for Winter (given the snow the Kuga was a champion having to tow the van up a hilll - the 2WD's were all having a hard time but the Kuga just shrugged her shoulders and got us up the slope - no bother!).

Next trip is 13th March to have it serviced by the dealer on a CL site near them in East Derham Norfolk....

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hello All, I have had the Kuga 2lt diesel since mid March 09. Towing my current caravan is not a problem, I am intending to change to a new van next year around 1490 kg fully laden. Has anyone got any experience of the kuga with this sort of load. As we all know tails wagging dogs is not a good situation. Any coments will be appreciated. The awning etc will be in the Kuga with only basic food and clothing in the caravan.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi win-doc, we upgraded to a Bailey Pageant Sancere in April and comes in at an MTPLM of 1465 kg (with weight upgrade due to Motor Mover being fitter) coming in at an 89% match.

Pulling with the March08 2L Diesel AWD Kuga is no problem at all in terms of the power and behaving on sloping wet grassy CL sites.

You can feel the difference between the Monarch we used to have (MTPLM 1295 kg) but the most noticeable thing is that with the Shipping Length of 7.194m 23'7", there is noticeably more pitching than the Monarch (6.417m 21'1") but I guess that is to be expected. I am sure it is better with the Kuga as the wheels are at the rear corner compared with an Estate car.

Overall, we are very happy with the Kuga as a tope car and do not expect you would have any problems with a 1490 kg MTPLM as it sounds as if you are a competent tower so going over the magic 85% is not an issue. Does the van you are going for have ATC? The Sancere does so that may be a contributing factor to being well behaved on the back.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi Raptor.
Thanks for your responce. Yes I have about 29 years of towing experience. Having had a near disaster during the return journey on my first trip with a van due to my inexperience and youthful stupidity, I am very cautious when it comes to outfit matching. Our Kuga is also the AWD 2.0lt diesel and like so many more contributors to this forum I am delighted with it's abilities. Having never owned a Ford before (but having driven) some of their earlier efforts, this one is a winner.
Our van of choise is the Sterling Eccles Ruby with a MPTLM of 1595 kg. This being some 97% ish of the Kuga's kerb weight, gives me my doughts on the stability front. We will probably end up going for the Jewel which is a much better figure of 1500kg.
Without joining in the euphoria of some members I have to say that the kuga is the best alround domestic vehicle that I have owned towing or solo.
Once again thank's for your reply and keep on enjoying your caravaning.

Thanks again and enjoy your caravaning.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Kuga gearing seems well matched to towing, I only pull a light 1100kg race car/trailer and it's the best tow vehicle I think I ever had, very nice cruising at *cough* motorway speeds... and great on the twisty a roads as well. The Kuga is turning into a great all rounder for me, great in the working week with 40+ mpg (awd version) and then great during the weekends with the race car.

I also looked at the Freelander 2 (nice car but pricey to get a decent spec I thought) and the Tiguan (similar price/spec but thought it looked a tad bland, plus I hated the sloppy gear change on the demo I drove). Kuga won out for me... not disappointed so far in 6000 miles driving

·
Registered
18 Posts
Before I had a Kuga , I towed with a S Max ( without traction control ) , pulling a caravan totaling a weight of `1450 kg The Kuga is a much better towing car and I can know finally use 6 th gear more on motorways now the mileage is 7. 5 k . Also no loss of traction on wet grass , the rear cuts without you noticeing .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Kugaites,
Now we're retired its time to replace the 8 year old Vauxall Frontera with something more economical. Probably getting local Ford dealer's ex. demo Kuga Zetec 4x4 (Vision). Wife is 'seriously' into horses so will have to get them to fit a towbar and 7 pin electrics to occasionally pull a 'Dobbin' in his box. I have 2 questions from the Kuga brochure:

1. What is 'overboost'( torque increased to 340nm)? How is it activated?

2. What is 'trailer stability function'? How is it activated?

Many thanks,

Wurzelkuga.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts