Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
It's odd, as the forum I mod on seems to stop 99% of attacks via the "Approval Queue"- which requires a Mod to manually approve suss new members. There was one that had been flagged that I just banned as the Email address came up as being reported as a Spammer when I Googled it.

·
Super Moderator
531 Posts
It's odd, as the forum I mod on seems to stop 99% of attacks via the "Approval Queue"- which requires a Mod to manually approve suss new members. There was one that had been flagged that I just banned as the Email address came up as being reported as a Spammer when I Googled it.
The worst thing is I'm a mod on a Triumph MC forum on this identical platform and the new accounts require approval. When we look at the queue, the baddies are flagged as suspected for spam

·
Registered
542 Posts
I never see the NEW spam?
I wonder if it was from a previous "Ignored" spammer?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
There was spam this morning

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Perhaps the moderators should ban registrations from certain countries unless specifically approved first.

At least the SPAM is easily ignored unlike the previous problem thrown at us from the East.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have 17 spam posts today and had 20 yesterday, all in I think Chinese and listed as various Universities round the world. I have reported every time and also just ignore. Not a massive problem but could be easily sorted by mods as many others have suggested.

·
Super Moderator
531 Posts
This is from the release notes for yesterday's overnight update:
"Dear Community Members and Moderators,
Our focus on performance and spam fighting continues this week.
Performance Optimizations
As previously mentioned, monitoring and making updates as necessary to strive for optimal performance is an ongoing process. We have seen good results on sites where database updates have been made and will continue rolling out database updates to more sites gradually during overnight hours.
Spam Fighting
Last week we reviewed how spam attacks typically come in waves and how we are combating some recent waves of spam attempts. This week, we continue to make changes to existing spam controls and monitor the results closely. We will be implementing changes across more sites this week to further combat the spam attacks some sites are seeing.
Please reach out with any questions or feedback.
Your Community Support Team"

Yesterday on the Triumph forum I mod on there were three new accounts filtered out, all for being identified as spammers. I rejected all three with an "Identified as spammer" response, so that they could come back if it was a false positive...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Ever since I ignored the spammers about 10 days ago I've not had any come through.

·
Administrator
142 Posts
Spam fighting is a constant effort and reality of any online community. Hopefully our efforts show some improvement. Let me know if we missed any by reporting it.
I will check in with the other volunteers, but if you feel like you wish to assist the existing team, start a conversation with me and we can see if there is a place for more assistance.
-Gerrit

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I like your new Title Larry.

Reactions: Les and admin

·
Administrator
142 Posts
Hello all,

Sorry for the delayed response, we have a bit of a backlog.

We are currently making some tweaks to the spam settings with weekly releases and beefing up security through reCaptcha so it should help with the spam this week. You should now see much less spam and we have cleaned the site

You can see updated in Release Notes here:

Once these issues are resolved we will resume working again on bugs and new features.

Jeff M

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well they do exist and hopefully we will get some regulars to moderate the site, which will then keep right on top of the spammers.
Better late than never I say :)

·
Super Moderator
531 Posts
The trawl is out for volunteers as we speak... NigelB has stepped forward and I'm breathing down the neck of others... ?

If anyone wants to volunteer, we could do with one more from UK/Europe...

41 - 56 of 56 Posts