Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I wondered if someone may be able to help me figure out next steps as to get my car back on the road. The car is a 66 plate and has been sat on the drive since October (due for MOT but due to circumstances at home this didn't happen) but in December I noticed that I couldn't unlock the car either with the normal key fob or indeed with the key itself. I've just had a look and notice a red I flashing on the dash. I assume this is telling me that there is a significant fault reading through some of the threads but wondered if anyone has any similar experiences and what they found was the most cost effective way of sorting it out?

Many thanks for your help folks!

Registered
Hi and welcome to the forum lots of helpful and friendly folks on here to help you with any questions you have about your kuga...I have not come across this problem before,,but I think the red flashing on the dash is the alarm active warning light.I might be wrong,,I will be corrected if I am馃槉

Ross

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ross, I think you could be absolutely bang on there reading some of the other forums on the red light. I'm absolutely baffled as to how a key won't open the car though. Hopefully someone way more clever than me on here will be able to give some advice. A manual unlock wouldn't be affected by a flat battery would it?!

Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
Hi & welcome to the forum,

As Ross said above, the red flashing light on your dash is the alarm.

You should have a key blade in the back of the key to use on the drivers door.

Reactions: Phil Doggo

Registered
2017 Titanium X 150 Magnetic
Hi , I had a similar problem with my previous Kuga a 2015, I had not used the car for a number of weeks and then could not use the remote to unlock the car. I use the blade in the fob. The lock was quite stiff to turn,I may have used a small pair of pliers to turn the blade In the door lock. I was careful not to bend or damage the lock. Once unlocked the alarm did go off but once I started the car it was fine. I did find some info on the web re this it鈥檚 just a safety system locking in when the car is not used. I鈥檓 sure you will find some info re this.
good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Hi , I had a similar problem with my previous Kuga a 2015, I had not used the car for a number of weeks and then could not use the remote to unlock the car. I use the blade in the fob. The lock was quite stiff to turn,I may have used a small pair of pliers to turn the blade In the door lock. I was careful not to bend or damage the lock. Once unlocked the alarm did go off but once I started the car it was fine. I did find some info on the web re this it鈥檚 just a safety system locking in when the car is not used. I鈥檓 sure you will find some info re this.
good luck.
Hi there - i've tried that without any luck - the unlock turns fine but nothing happens - no noises at all - thanks for help thuogh!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Hi and welcome to the forum lots of helpful and friendly folks on here to help you with any questions you have about your kuga...I have not come across this problem before,,but I think the red flashing on the dash is the alarm active warning light.I might be wrong,,I will be corrected if I am馃槉

Ross
Hey Ross, I think you could be absolutely bang on there reading some of the other forums on the red light. I'm absolutely baffled as to how a key won't open the car though. Hopefully someone way more clever than me on here will be able to give some advice. A manual unlock wouldn't be affected by a flat battery would it?!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Just to update everyone here I've managed to get into the car. The key did absolutely work it was that the lock was stiff. Funnily enough after getting into the car the key fob has also stared working. I've just been on the phone to my mates brother who is a ford mechanic and he's said it sounds like the lock has got jammed which prevented the fob from working. Thanks for everyone's advice - much appreciated!!

Registered
Glad you got it sorted ,,don鈥檛 forget to put your kuga details in your signature it will help other forum users when you need help or advice in the future saves you repeating your self all the time.

Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
Pleased you're sorted.

Registered
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
That's a relief and good to know if it ever happens to anyone else (y)

Registered
2017 Titanium X 150 Magnetic
Hi All I can鈥檛 find the info now but I had a similar problem as previously stated. I had not used the car for 3 or 4 weeks and the key fob would not unlock the Kuga. I had to use the key blade, this was very stiff to turn in the lock I used a small pair of pliers to turn the key blade it was that stif. I did take care not to bend or break the key. Once unlocked the car recognised the fob and started. At the time the info I found stated that after a number of days ( I can鈥檛 remember how many over 20 though) the car stops detecting the fob to unlock the car this reduces the drain on the car battery. The car has to be unlocked manually with the key blade etc. This is a safety system to reduce battery drain. I don鈥檛 know if the discussion starter had not used the car for a while or may be the car battery was getting low so stopped detecting the remote key fob.
Unfortunately I can find the info agin. It may even be mentioned in the cars handbook?
glad the problem is sorted I know how stif the key is to turn it feels like it may break I presume It is this stif as the lock is not used. Thinking about it now may be lubricant would have helped. If I find the info I鈥檒l add it to the discussion.
stay safe Jeffb

Registered
If you use the key, there is a recess in the key fob for the flat 鈥淭鈥 to fit in. You then have a good grip rather then use the key blade on its own. Just use care not over do it if the lock is stiff.
it鈥檚 in the owners book.
WD 40 on the cylinder lock will help as they don鈥檛 get used as the fob usually does all the work.

Reactions: Happyarry

Registered
I suddenly had a D茅j脿 Vu moment

Registered
Hi there,

I wondered if someone may be able to help me figure out next steps as to get my car back on the road. The car is a 66 plate and has been sat on the drive since October (due for MOT but due to circumstances at home this didn't happen) but in December I noticed that I couldn't unlock the car either with the normal key fob or indeed with the key itself. I've just had a look and notice a red I flashing on the dash. I assume this is telling me that there is a significant fault reading through some of the threads but wondered if anyone has any similar experiences and what they found was the most cost effective way of sorting it out?

Many thanks for your help folks!
The red light is the alarm which should flash when car is off, if the car wont open maybe your battery is completly flat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts