Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Had the Kuga now 9/10 months, just flew through MOT it’s been a great car so far! Been out in it recently and there is a humming noise coming from rear, sounds mechanical so poss rear diff? Or a bearing? It starts at like 30mph gets louder till about 50 and then goes away? Anyone experienced anything similar?
TIA

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,951 Posts
Hi All
Had the Kuga now 9/10 months, just flew through MOT it’s been a great car so far! Been out in it recently and there is a humming noise coming from rear, sounds mechanical so poss rear diff? Or a bearing? It starts at like 30mph gets louder till about 50 and then goes away? Anyone experienced anything similar?
TIA
I have similar on mine and it's passed two MOT's now. Mines is only 2 wheel drive but the noise doesn't go away. I think one of my rear tyres is an original continental so could be that.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi All
TIA
Run your hands around the tyre tread, especially at the edges. If it feels rough in one direction and not the other then the tread blocks are wearing which creates the noise. It happens because the wheel is being pulled along which creates the wear pattern over time. Some tyre brands are better than others for it. Does no harm but can be surprisingly loud.

·
Frequently posts gibberish!
2,444 Posts
Yes I’ve had that.
ford said it was a wheel bearing.
tyre garage said it was a delaminating tyre. He was confident he fitted me a cheap one to try. Hey presto, went back and had a better one fitted.
Hope that helps.

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,951 Posts
Yes I’ve had that.
ford said it was a wheel bearing.
tyre garage said it was a delaminating tyre. He was confident he fitted me a cheap one to try. Hey presto, went back and had a better one fitted.
Hope that helps.
Same with me with a Michelin one the back. I could have sworn it was a wheel bearing and took it to my work's ATS. The mechanic there assured me it was a tyre and as he had seen it before on that particular tyre. Took it off and the noise went away.

Reactions: Psshaw
1 - 5 of 5 Posts