Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leading on form my previous post i was looking to help others by having a list of weights people tow. this will allow people to make up their own mind on what is a good match.

Please post your Laden weight, so what you actually tow, not the MTPLM. and a short sentence of any issues.

for me it 1,550Kg currently and going to 1,660kg in April.

Tows like a dream and you would never know there is a caravan on the back, iv never felt any of the stability systems kick in.

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my car specifically as a towcar ,excellent experience and great fuel economy.my kuga is a st line x 180 AWD. It has every extra fitted ( Ex Ford Managers Car ) .Electric handbreak is excellent holds car and caravan on steep gradients with no roll back .My current caravan weighs 1500 kg.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got mine just for towing before, my Kuga is a Titanium x sport 163 hp with auto box. I have had a mix always 4 x 4 over the past few year's, a couple of various Isuzu's,Discovery TD 5, Ssangyong with big Mercedes 185 hp engine and gearbox which i must admit was good but very thirsty when towing. Had the same caravan for a few year's know so have been able to compaire a few different vehicle's and the Kuga is one of the best,pulls realy well don't really know the van is on the back and fuel is around 30 mpg which is not bad as we don't hang around. my caravan is about 1400 kgs all up.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My experience well documented here. Chose the vehicle because the Ford brochure claimed
it could tow 1800kg from a standing start on a 12% gradient. Load of codswallop. In reality it
had trouble with 1350 kg. Very dissapointing as a tow vehicle.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Our MK2 163 Powershift towed our 1550kg Sterling Moonstone fine for a year then the gearbox failed.

Looking at the design of the clutch damper I'm surprised it lasted that long!.

20190519_140151.jpg

·
Registered
2016 Mk2 Titanium 180 4x4
62 Posts
hi all newbie here, have had my Mk2 2.0l awd for a few weeks bought it to tow our 1500kg van was supposed to have its first run out next weekend, but don't know when it will be :(

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi cab,yes it's a shame what's going on at the moment but at least you will have something to look forward too, and car and caravan will be clean and shinny with all this spare time on your hand's when you do get to take your first trip.

·
Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
77 Posts
Well this thread is reassuring i've made a good decision. put a deposit last week on a 2014 Titanium X 160ps AWD main reason of purchase was based on google sites reviews and the Kuga popped up many times. This thread is backing the Kuga right up (y)(y)

One negative comment -
My experience well documented here. Chose the vehicle because the Ford brochure claimed
it could tow 1800kg from a standing start on a 12% gradient. Load of codswallop. In reality it
had trouble with 1350 kg. Very dissapointing as a tow vehicle.
1.5 Ecoboost if the profile is correct so i'm not surprised ;)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I do quite a bit of towing (see signature). Not a caravan but a 9x5ft (2.7 x 1.5mtr for those who want to!) twin axle trailer.

Believe me it has had everything in it, manure, sand, timber, coal, ALL sorts.

The more weight you put in the more angry the Kuga gets. (and the iAWD)
The record is 1.50 tons + weight of trailer (400kgs?) Pulling hard up a steep hill in 3rd was doing 6.8mpg.

MPG wise: empty trailer drags from 42-43 to 38 - 37mpg (depends on weight and town low speed driving)
A heavy trailer 36, and possible lower again depends on amount of stops & starts at traffic lights, roundabouts etc

Saying that empty trailer with a light fabrication on (100kgs) cruised to N. London & back 49.9mpg, steady 60mph.

One thing I don't do is reverse a heavy trailer up a slope (my drive is steep), asking for clutch trouble doing that I think.

The Kuga is a good towing tool, and the 180 engine has plenty of grunt when you need it.
Interested how the rear arms and bushes cope with regular towing.
the anti sway on caravan to hitches must put the pressure somewhere else.. Any feedback on that point folks?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well this thread is reassuring i've made a good decision. put a deposit last week on a 2014 Titanium X 160ps AWD main reason of purchase was based on google sites reviews and the Kuga popped up many times. This thread is backing the Kuga right up (y)(y)

One negative comment -

The point is that Ford advertised the vehicle as being able to tow 1800kg from a
standing start on a 12% gradient and I believed them. Even if I reduced this
optimistic amount by 25% , would still have experienced problems.

Reactions: J9dwy

·
Registered
2,032 Posts

One negative comment -
Are you buying a manual or automatic.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
I'm very happy with our 2.0 TDCI towing 1550kg, it makes very light work of it...

·
Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
77 Posts
Are you buying a manual or automatic.
I'm buying a manual, from my little experience of towing unless you have a heavy, good quality gearbox and power, I feel less in control with auto to manual cars.
Caravan I'm buying is about 1300kg of a max to 1500kg so I'm more confident I've picked the right car now

·
Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
77 Posts
Sooo... i passed my towing licence last Monday i luckily got a short notice test. I have yet to buy a caravan as that is next years adventure due to cost. so i am borrowing my parents caravan. went for a test run yesterday and did about 20 miles lanes and motorway to have a feel for it. I can now say the Kuga made Light work of the twin axle MTPLM- 1756kg. its a huge relief as we bought the Kuga for next years caravan adventure.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Sooo... i passed my towing licence last Monday i luckily got a short notice test. I have yet to buy a caravan as that is next years adventure due to cost. so i am borrowing my parents caravan. went for a test run yesterday and did about 20 miles lanes and motorway to have a feel for it. I can now say the Kuga made Light work of the twin axle MTPLM- 1756kg. its a huge relief as we bought the Kuga for next years caravan adventure.
Watch it going downhill being overtaken by trucks, you're very close to 100%, which isn't a problem so long as you are aware you are...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Another thing to remember is when over taking hgv's prepare for them sucking you in. Same applies when being overtaken by a truck. When I had a caravan I used to make sure I was as close to the white line on the right as was safe leaving the biggest gap possible between the truck and the caravan. Or if you are being overtaken by a truck, shouldn't happen now they are restricted to 56mph, pull over closer to the white line on your left.

·
Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
77 Posts
HI Guys, yeah thanks for the tips, i have had many pointers from my lorry and truck career driven Father In Law haha. i have a few pointers now.

Deffo taking it steady down hills, i know its not a life saver but the van is equipped with all the stability equipment. doing a short run to Brean on Friday for test run then down to Paignton in mid august for a weeks holi and then thats it for the year. Can purchase a slightly more suited van in Mar/Apr next year.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Don't take the coastal scenic route from Bridgewater via Minehead and Porlock to Ilfracombe with a caravan. I did that years ago and when I arrived at the campsite I said to the guy "is there and easy way to get here than the road from Porlock". This was pre mobile phone and sat nav. He looked at my car with 16' caravan and said "you came the scenic route with that". Yes, I said. he just laughed. It was a bit scary in parts with hairpin bends and if it had been wet I wouldn't have got up some of the hills.

·
Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
77 Posts
Don't take the coastal scenic route from Bridgewater via Minehead and Porlock to Ilfracombe with a caravan. I did that years ago and when I arrived at the campsite I said to the guy "is there and easy way to get here than the road from Porlock". This was pre mobile phone and sat nav. He looked at my car with 16' caravan and said "you came the scenic route with that". Yes, I said. he just laughed. It was a bit scary in parts with hairpin bends and if it had been wet I wouldn't have got up some of the hills.
I’m from nearby so know the area well, M5 and main road into brean 👍
Thanks for the heads up anyway

1 - 20 of 24 Posts