Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

How long should tyres last (years)

Question 
8K views 79 replies 11 participants last post by  Cookieman 
#1 ·
I have just had to have a new rear tyre due to a side wall puncture due to a bicycle chain split link "c" clip! having the new tyre fitted I took the opportunity to look at my 2 year old front tyres (Goodyears) with much less than 5000 miles and to my horror found that in the bottom of the tread there was cracking/perishing and I don't mean a little bit, I suppose I'll find out how bad when it comes to the MOT.
The old rear tyre (general grabber) was going on at least 7 years old and only showing slight perishing as one would expect at that age.
Anyway, how long should a tyre reasonably last ? I don't mean miles as I don't do many anymore.

#68 ·
I wet washed my sofa using hoover, also it's cleaned by rotary turbo brush, and I can confirm couple months after this we still have static shocks in the car (mostly when we touching doors) and also in normal house duties...
PS: my tyres has ~4.5mm tread left, and I don't believe it could be a reason...

#69 ·
Anything that is like a fleece isn't good for static shocks when getting out of the car.

@MaoVi - for a second there I thought you said you had jet washed your sofa. I did that to one of our patio furniture cushions and blew a hole in it lol.

Reactions: MaoVi and Cookieman
#70 ·
@Cookieman
I just got a letter from Goodyear saying they would give me a dealer allowance of 40, 45, 60 & 65% on each of the four tyres. Very pleased with this outcome. Interestingly they didn't say an allowance against Goodyears - which is very fair of them I feel. So new tyres fitted, balanced etc for half price.

#73 ·
Good result. I would assume they mean that on a replacement tyre (same size, same category from any manufacturer) they will give the fitting centre 60% of the cost, and you pay the other 40% to supply and fit.

In my case, I had already fitted replacements and I expect to get a refund from the fitting of 50% (in my case) of the cost, and the fitting centre will be credited the same amount by Goodyear. My letter asked me to give the fitting centre 28 days to process paperwork before approaching them - so I assume this gives enough time so that they already have the credit from Goodyear, so their cashflow is not impacted by refunding me.

Reactions: 5294
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.