Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

Registered
2017 kuga 1.5 ST line
Tyres are designed for grip now rather than doing the miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
I remember the Michelins of a bygone age , they would never wear out, rubbish at gripping the road but last forever LOL, you sounded like an American road movie at 10 mph round a sharp corner!
Ps johncam ,as you are a professional mechanic, I have an 40 year old m/c and the secondary main jets are truly stuck, any suggestions?

Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
I remember the Michelins of a bygone age , they would never wear out, rubbish at gripping the road but last forever LOL, you sounded like an American road movie at 10 mph round a sharp corner!
Ps johncam ,as you are a professional mechanic, I have an 40 year old m/c and the secondary main jets are truly stuck, any suggestions?
Wrong bloke @keithmac is your motorcycle man ;)

Mr. Happy. 鈥淪weet Cheeks鈥
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
@Cookieman ....................I like your reasoning matey.

I've retired now and will be looking for a new set of 4 tyres in October (mot due) I do like the expensive tyres and the thought that they do what they are meant to when you need them to, BUT as you say and I totally agree that I'm now driving my Kuga like Miss Daisy...............why do I need expensive tyres?

Reactions: Cookieman

Registered

I've retired now and will be looking for a new set of 4 tyres in October (mot due) I do like the expensive tyres and the thought that they do what they are meant to when you need them to, BUT as you say and I totally agree that I'm now driving my Kuga like Miss Daisy...............why do I need expensive tyres?
Have got 62k miles from original rear Contis. Will change soon as they are cracking round the tread blocks. Still got 4mm tread depth on them.

Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy

I put some Avon's on my last car. I can't remember which ones now but they had a 7 in the description. It failed at MOT with a cut in the inner side wall. I just replaced the tyre and thought nothing of it. I sold the car about 6 months later and put the standard 16" wheels back on and the 17" ones I stored in the garage. I came to sell the 17" wheels some time later and the other Avon also had a split in the sidewall on the inside. I have never had any tyre split like that and consequently I will never buy their brand again.

I always buy branded now but my advice would be buy what you want but look at the wet grip rating as that is when you are likely to need your tyres most.

Mr. Happy. 鈥淪weet Cheeks鈥
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
I'm currently on 4 Pirelli Scorpion Assemetrics 19inch, and to replace them is gonna be expensive.

I dont drive like a lunatic anymore and think I can move down to a cheaper brand?

But still thinking about it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Listen to smartguy, you know it makes sense 馃お. IMHO everyone has their own needs and wants so anyone can have an opinion what suits them, personally I now only do very low mileage and as mentioned before "driving like daisy " therefore I go cheaper, also I'm from Yorkshire 馃憤:)

Registered
2017 kuga 1.5 ST line
Get a tin of bulldog bdx and give it a good coating (y) it will free off in a short time mate

Registered
2017 kuga 1.5 ST line
I sell tyres also for a living and there are so many different opinions on tyres. I always tell people to buy the best they can because they are the last thing to leave the road if your unlucky. The problem with cheap tyres are that they produce a lot of road noise compared to premium tyres and they also lack wet grip quality's.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet that might shock you......... Tyre labels are a massive load of bollocks because tyre manufactures are allowed to grade there own tyres so they could label them a A for wet grip and A for noise but its all rubbish just so people will buy there tyres.

Registered
2017 kuga 1.5 ST line
Evening johncam, what's bulldog bdx?
Its a new brand and better than WD40 by a long shot. Also try plusgas ........ they both work very well and its something i use all the time in the garage for getting stuck injectors out. I normally give them a good spray and leave overnight so the next day its like magic and get them out with very little effort.

Reactions: MaoVi

Registered
2017 kuga 1.5 ST line
My system for tyre grading works much better........ A nice soft sidewall will give you less road noise and good grip because of the soft compound of the tyre. The only downside is less mileage out of them but i have used that method for yrs and its never let me down.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
WOW, that is shocking, how are they allowed to do that?!!!
Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons I specifically bought the "efficient grip" tyres for their low noise ( mk1 Kuga notorious for road noise) and the cheaper tyres I have now are no worse, does this mean Goodyear are as bad at marketing as the non descripts? As you might guess I'm not a fan of Goodyear.
Ian

Registered
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Johncam thanks for the heads up on bulldog also can you still get Plus gas? I've not seen any for literally decades!!

Registered
2017 kuga 1.5 ST line
As you can imagine i have tried a lot of tyres over the years and to be fair i rate goodyear eagle F1 tyres very good and also Michelin primacy are very good. The issue starts with cracking when they are not getting used enough because if you are constantly running up and down the motorway day in and out the oils in the rubber don't dry out and they will not crack. An average car that does say 200 miles a day will see around 30k on a tyre. If you only do say 25 miles a day then the oil will dry out after a few yrs and then they will crack. Its all about the way the tyre is treated......... More is better on modern tyres and its as simple as that.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts