Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how the Kuga's tyre pressure monitors work?

Where do they get power from? Is it generated by the rotation of the wheel?

I always thought TPM worked by difference in rotation speeds, but there's obviously more to it than that.

I'd read about them putting out a square wave and the mark to space ratio changing on a nonsymmetrical / deflating tyre?

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally a 3-volt lithium-ion battery with a 5-10years life. Simple pressure sensor.
I did wonder if it had a long life lithium in it, but also thought it might work like those self-winding watches.

Cheers Nigel (y)

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Although I still want to know how it takes the pressure and how it transmits.

Reactions: NigelB

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019 MK2 Platinum White
3,230 Posts
Reactions: Phil Doggo

·
Registered
2019 St-Line Edition 2L TDCi 150 2WD
30 Posts
I always thought TPM worked by difference in rotation speeds, but there's obviously more to it than that.

I'd read about them putting out a square wave and the mark to space ratio changing on a nonsymmetrical / deflating tyre?
That's indirect TPMS, where the irregular rotation of the wheel with deflated tyres is read off from the ABS system. The direct TPMS that's in the Kuga is a regular pressure monitor fitted in the valve. It's a closed unit and needs to be changed every so and so many years, depending on driving etc.

·
Super Moderator
2,341 Posts
A simple barometric sensor and the equivalent of a radio tag 'transmitting; the pressure over the, say, four metres between the wheel and the reader.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
181 Posts
TPMS sensors are available in two frequencies: 315MHz and 433MHz. TPMS signals transmit at 433MHz in Europe and at 315MHz in most parts of the world. When replacing a TPMS sensor, be sure to verify it has the correct electromagnetic wave frequency for the vehicle system.

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your input guys :D (y) (y)

Reactions: NigelB

·
Registered
214 Posts
If it help's i was told by Ford that on my 2014 it work's off the abs ring and will only detect a flat tyre. This is not true as i was driving last week when it came up and told me deflation had been detected, sure enough front off side tyre was down to 18 psi on inspecting it the valve was loose luckily so re inflated reset the TPMS and so far all good

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it help's i was told by Ford that on my 2014 it work's off the abs ring and will only detect a flat tyre. This is not true as i was driving last week when it came up and told me deflation had been detected, sure enough front off side tyre was down to 18 psi on inspecting it the valve was loose luckily so re inflated reset the TPMS and so far all good
I have heard many explanations for how they work, so I'm guessing it's different on various cars, models and manufactures.

Good you found the loose valve though (y)

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,337 Posts
I have a 2013 and it works off the ABS rings, I swap between summer and winter wheels, they both just have standard rubber valves. The newer models, roughly 2015 onwards have proper sensors inside the wheels.

It doesn't only detect a flat, when I swapped the winters off a couple of weeks ago I was in a rush to get them back to the storage unit where I keep them so I never checked the pressures and on the drive home the deflation warning came up on the dash. When I checked the pressures, there was less than 10psi difference between them.

Reactions: Phil Doggo

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 2013 and it works off the ABS rings, I swap between summer and winter wheels, they both just have standard rubber valves. The newer models, roughly 2015 onwards have proper sensors inside the wheels.

It doesn't only detect a flat, when I swapped the winters off a couple of weeks ago I was in a rush to get them back to the storage unit where I keep them so I never checked the pressures and on the drive home the deflation warning came up on the dash. When I checked the pressures, there was less than 10psi difference between them.
That answers that then (y)

Reactions: andspenka

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,368 Posts
Yep our 2013 is ABS/ wheel speed dependent and can detect a partially deflated tyre.

I believe when TPMS became mandatory (could be same time as Euro 6 emissions) they had to fit a real sensor in each wheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts