Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up our new AWD 2.0 Kuga Titanium yesterday. We are please with it but we also went for some extra features that I'm now wondering about. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Last night (our first night with it) I noticed that the illuminated scuff plates we ordered I assume were not installed as nothing was lit up when opening the door. It looks like we got the default ones instead. When we picked up the car the dealer was explaining we had to wait until it got dark to see the scuff plates so at the time we didn't bother checking the technicality of them. I also can not find any info online or at Fords on how they work, or how they are meant to look ""“ are they automatic when opening the door, or only work when the lights are on?

I have phoned up the dealership and they said it looks like we got a miss build and now suddenly curious at what else could be wrong. I also have a concern with the AWD vs. the 2 wheel drive. We ordered the AWD (4X4) and initially I thought there would be some sort of badge on the back. The dealer said initially there was no badging to indicate the difference between car makes and in the past they had two customers take away the wrong the car and was discovered during servicing (one got the 2 wheel and the other the 4 wheel).

Now that I'm worried about other things, is there anything that I can check to see if we have the AWD vs the 2 wheel drive. As I was told there was no indication on the dashboard, or anywhere on the vehicle, how does one know? Obviously one would know if you take it off road, but more so only if you have driven a 2 wheel drive vehicle Kuga as a comparison (I have never driven 4 wheel drive before, and unlikely to take it off road to find out).

Is there anywhere in the engine or beneath the hood, is there any labels, seems crazy that Ford doesn't show anything (think it would add value by showing a badge) as the average non technical customer wouldn't know until it was pointed out maybe during a service or something?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello Alexanderson,
I cannot comment on the scuff plates cos ive never seen them and I have a 2wd so cannot tell you exactly what to look for regarding 4 wheel drive, but if you dont mind lying on the floor near your back wheels you should be able to see a thick prop shaft coming down the centre of the car and smaller drive shafts coming to the centre of each back wheel ( as a 2wd only sends drive to the front wheels).

Theres probably a lot easier way than this to check and if there is I am sure someone will post it on this forum.

Slimus.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Hi alexanderson, Yes Slimus is right that is probably easiest way to distinguish between AWD& 2WD.Something to seriously consider, Ford like many other car manufacturers are aware/mindful that there is a back lash emerging, an active anti 4x4 brigade out there so trust me I think Ford's decision not to have 4X4 emblazoned on the rear of your vehicle is a good thing. Illuminatedscuff plates? sorry not seen them just courtesy lights infootwell area got puddle lights (underside of indicators)which look classy. Finally dealer states possible Ford Miss Build?sadly Ford have been having some problems of late with some KOC members,customers thinking that they had ordered a vehicle with certain items included and when those items are mising they aretold by Ford to take a look at the Ford Disclaimer, advisedFord can change specification at any time. I appreciate that your particular concerns are far more serious and I wish you luck in gettingthis issue resolved to your total satisfaction. Finally alexandersonbe interested to hear howsubsequent eventspans out. Regards. Bob.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi Alexanderson,
I ordered ( and was probably lucky to get them ) the illuminated scuff plates, you do not have to wait until completely dark to see them. the kuga emblem on mine are red in colour and really does look classy at night, I must take about 20 seconds each time I enter and exit the kuga when i'm in town ha!

I do not know how they are controlled or how to replace the led lighting but i'll deal with that if they ever malfunction.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I will have to have a look at illuminated scuff plates one day . the standard fit aluminium ones are a waste of time I fitted stainless next day afte i got my Kuga. much better and covers bigger area and actually works ( scuffed it a few times with shoes)
I have the AWD and I did check by simply walking to rear, bending down on knees and looking at both rear wheels. Both wheels will have a shaft coming from centre of each rear wheel going in towads the other wheel. a big metal mass meets them in the middle called a differential.
don't want to put a damper on teh all wheel drive thing but I have driven land rover defender off road ( special off road area for land rovers) and the Ford does not have a lower drive ratio box and teh wheel selection for 4x4 on land rovers is selectable. On the Ford it is automatic and only comes in when a wheel loses drive ( slips) and will work by supplying the power to the wheel(s) with grip. it will work even if only one wheel has grip! It isnt a Ford invention and is also fitted by other manufactures such as Volvo. look up 'Haldex' for more info on the awd system. personally I wish Ford had made an AWD badge an 'option' be worth another £5 or so for a nice badge for those not worried about anti-4x4 folk . If you look through some members write in's you can find a picture of an AWD sort of badge fitted by a member from individual letters from Halfords.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes the Kuga is termed as a soft roader instead of an off roader. There is no way the Kuga can compete with the likes of range rover or land rover and other 4 wheel drives where you can, not only lock into full 4 wheel drive but also select low ratio gearing to go "up the side of a wall".
But to be fair the Kuga has the Haldex 3 system (they are now working on the Haldex 4 system) which i believe was originally developed by saab and now used by several GOOD manufacturers.

As Hornchurchmale says, on the Kuga the drive is sent to the wheel that has the most grip automatically, most times this is to either of the front wheels, but come the icy weather(or the mud), the back wheel(s) get a chance to drive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies (this forum is a great resource for new owners!). I have no idea when we collected our Kuga, why the dealer could not have been that helpful, he said only the service department could tell the difference between a 2-wheel and AWD. But at lunch today when I get a chance I will have a look underneath the vehicle to check it out (thinking about it, it's so obvious I have no idea why I didn't realise that myself!).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the AWD model, and it would have ben a nice addition to have a light on the dash, telling you when you are in 2wd, or AWD mode,

as from a driving perspective, a cannot tell the difference

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's subtle, however you can actually feel when the AWD kicks in. Setting off with some lock on a relatively uneven surface tends to do it or even just doing a hill start as the front goes light. You can feel a very slight push as the clutch engages; even less-so when you finally get going on the straight smooth road and it dis-engages back to 2WD. MPG is a good indicator 1600 miles in and I'm getting 34mpg :(.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts