Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get the car into neutral to move it. (Strictly speaking the car does have a (flat) battery but is so tightly garaged I can't access engine compartment.)

From videos relating to other cars I understand that when the engine starts, a solenoid (?) disengages the lock which keeps the shift lever in Park. I have seen how on some cars you can access the lock manually and perform the unlocking that the solenoid would perform.

I have lifted the plastic cover that surrounds the shift lever and raised it out of the way as far as the electrical cable will allow and also lifted up a layer of wadding. But I cannot see what I might now do to release the lock. There is a yellow plastic piece on the left side which is a bit flexible and can be depressed slightly but that just looks like a recipe for breaking it.

Any advice please? Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is Mk2, may help you?.

Hi Keithmac,

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply and for the Mk2 User Manual extract.

Your extract inspired me to consult my manual - hadn’t expected this issue to be addressed. The Mk1 description is very different from your manual and sadly rather different, as far as I could see, from what I was looking at in the car! So, not immediately encouraging. However …

Solution: Trying to start the car I was getting noises but no cranking. I searched online. Someone else described the noises as relays clicking - reminiscent of light machine-gun fire. I discovered that during this activity, at some point at least, the shift lock became disengaged and I was able to shift into Neutral. Success.

Apologies to you and anyone else who feels they could have told me the above if my Post title had said 'flat-ish battery' instead of 'no battery'. I did clarify it had a 'flat' battery. Sorry.

Just left wondering now whether allowing the car’s 9 year old original battery to drop to 10v means I'll have to get it replaced.

Many thanks again.

·
Registered
913 Posts
10 year old battery has done VERY well!, I'd change it as a matter of course.

If you get stuck again it maybe possible to lightly charge the battery from the fusebox enough to release the interlock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts