Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 2013
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, pulled away from a roundabout and went to change into second when the engine revs shot up to max and clouds of smoke out of the back of the car . Pressed stop button and stopped the car while steering into a lay-by. Car recovered and at garage. Any thoughts or ideas??

·
Registered
2011 Titanium 163 awd
48 Posts
Sorry Techno, but when my sons Mondeo diesel ate its turbo, it did exactly the same. The oil seal goes, then it self feeds on it's own oil, not dependant on throttle. You were lucky it stopped on the switch, as many rev until they throw bits through the side of the block.
I hope I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,178 Posts
Sorry Tecnno, but when my sons Mondeo diesel are its turbo, it did exactly the same. The oil seal goes, then it self feeds on it's own oil, not dependant on throttle. You were lucky it stopped on the switch, as many rev until they throw bits through the side of the block.
I hope I'm wrong.

Does sound like a runaway, thankfully rare but bloody frightening when it happens. Sadly, never cheap to fix. Sorry.

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 2013
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I think you are right. Blown turbo and runaway. Warranty only covers up to £1k so looks like The rest will be mine.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Didn't think you could shut down a Diesel runaway, bar attempting to stall it?.

Used to be a car garage next to my work and they had one, just let it go bang basically (took a while!).

Only thing that frightens me about Auto Diesels, just have to park it and evacuate.

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 2013
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I should get a diagnosis tomorrow. My mate who is a ford master tech said straight away turbo failure and runaway you were bloody lucky to stop it. Suspect my wallet will do a runaway when I get the bill.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
There's a flap in this section before the intake manifold, wonder if that shuts it down enough to choke the engine.

Looks same as Drive By Wire Throttle in a petrol car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes it should do. I've always assumed that switching off the 2.0tdci would prevent a runaway. The one on my Galaxy doesn't always shut when I switch off; I suppose I should sort it!

Bob

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I had a runaway on my Mazda 6 once when I revved it pretty hard. Luckily it stopped when the revs came down. Bloody frightening. Failed regenerations dumped loads of diesel in the oil and I hadn't checked it in a while. Great design, Mazda. I bet the engine they put in the MK1 Mazda 6 has lost them £1,000's. I dropped nearly 7 litres from a 4.2 litre sump. Car then taken for surgery.

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 2013
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, an update on the problem. The local ford dealer says the only fault code showing is HIGH OIL LEVEL. They are changing the oil and filter. My research indicates that to regenerate the DPF the kuga whacks a wedge of diesel fuel into the combustion chambers every300/400 miles which then burns off the crap and cleans the DPF. However , if this doesn’t work or the cycle is not fully completed due to urban driving it simply dumps it into the sump with the lube oil. If this happens 2/3 times the sump is then massively over filled with an extremely volatile mixture and hey presto a turbo runaway. So do I have a car that is not capable of urban driving or requires an oil change every 1000 miles? All my previous diesels ie VW BMW RANGE ROVER were absolutely fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,178 Posts
Short journeys and nothing else will kill a car fitted with a DPF eventually. You need at least one good 'blat' a week where the car gets fully up to operating temperature for a period of 20-30 minutes to avoid DPF issues.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
It was a problem with older diesels. My Mazda 6 was the same. MK2 regenerates the dpf ok. Had mine 18 months and it only been on a run 4 or 5 times.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi, an update on the problem. The local ford dealer says the only fault code showing is HIGH OIL LEVEL. They are changing the oil and filter. My research indicates that to regenerate the DPF the kuga whacks a wedge of diesel fuel into the combustion chambers every300/400 miles which then burns off the crap and cleans the DPF. However , if this doesn’t work or the cycle is not fully completed due to urban driving it simply dumps it into the sump with the lube oil. If this happens 2/3 times the sump is then massively over filled with an extremely volatile mixture and hey presto a turbo runaway. So do I have a car that is not capable of urban driving or requires an oil change every 1000 miles? All my previous diesels ie VW BMW RANGE ROVER were absolutely fine.
The Mk2 has an injector just before the DPF, it won't dilute the oil like failed regens on the Mk1.

Ours has never shown any evidence of fuel in the oil, does plenty of short journeys too.

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 2013
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the mk1 injected fuel direct into the cylinders for DPF regen but the mk2 has an separate injector just before the DPF for regen ? Ok then it’s back to a blown turbo I think.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
There's a flap in this section before the intake manifold, wonder if that shuts it down enough to choke the engine.

Looks same as Drive By Wire Throttle in a petrol car.

View attachment 4336
Could that be to control the boost pressure? I know with the petrol EcoBoosts they use the electronic throttle to help control the boost pressures.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Could that be to control the boost pressure? I know with the petrol EcoBoosts they use the electronic throttle to help control the boost pressures.
It could well be, along with the variable vane turbo.

Definitely throttles the engine, be interesting to see how it reacts to given throttle/ load situations.

Not cheap and must have taken a while to map into the ecu so must be a need for it.

Possibly replaces the "swirl flaps" found on other manifolds?.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
So the mk1 injected fuel direct into the cylinders for DPF regen but the mk2 has an separate injector just before the DPF for regen ? Ok then it’s back to a blown turbo I think.
Yep it's injected directly into the exhaust (much better than flooding the engine).

Normally you will get excessive shaft play when turbo is on it's last legs.

There is a shaft "seal" at the turbine side, it's more like a miniature piston ring.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts