Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just asking has any of you upgraded the headlights on a Mk2 ( 2017 )? Im more interested in how to get a good hole cut in the dust cover and also where exactly did the ballasts get connected to remain stable? I have saw a couple of Hid kits for around £60 to £75, and think this would be good improvement on my current lights.

·
2,876 Posts
Have a look at some of the posts where people have fitted LED bulbs. One brand (I forget which) seems worth the money.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi all just asking has any of you upgraded the headlights on a Mk2 ( 2017 )? Im more interested in how to get a good hole cut in the dust cover and also where exactly did the ballasts get connected to remain stable? I have saw a couple of Hid kits for around £60 to £75, and think this would be good improvement on my current lights.
you need to be careful what you do here.. on cars from 2009 onwards, any lights (either HID or LED) that are more than 2000 lumens require headlamp wash and auto leveling... they'd be prohibitively expensive to install and operate.
You' will need these for your MOT
If your car doesn't have projector lenses (projector lenses look a bit like a fish eye) your beam pattern will be WAY out.. thats an MOT fail too.

That said, your car, your decision!!! i've fitted MANY an aftermarket HID kit. I used a 20mm hole saw to drill the dust cover, you install the bulb into the bulb holder (as per any other bulb), route the cable through the dust cover via the 20mm hole you've just cut, the bulbs connect to the ballast, the ballast connects to an error chancellor box, your car wires .. Im assuming your car is an H7 bulb (simply two wires) connects into the error chancellor. if it doesn't work, switch the two wires from your car round about (the units are polarity sensitive).
Then marvel at your anti social lighting levels and beam spread!

couple of additional things to consider... the HIDs can burn the inside lens of your lights making them terrible after a year or two's use....
and
Its MUCH easier, legal and simpler to fit better bulbs... BULBS

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Martin1977 thanks for the input , its funny how when you make contact with one of the companies selling these upgrade kits they completely forget to tell you about any of the pitfalls that you lay out. I tried to click on the link you put at the end of you're piece however it dosent seem to work. Can you remember off hand any paricular bulb which would just swap like for like but which would give me a noticeable improvement? My car is a 2017 kuga tit , ive seen bulbs like the Osram Night breaker ...any good? Cheers Martin

·
Registered
401 Posts
I know exactly what you mean!!!!
I digress a little here but there was a LOT of ambiguity before 2009 with regards to HIDs and what was & wasn't required to remain 'legal'....
Truth was, if your car was fitted with headlamp wash and auto leveling then it HAD to work. A bit like your ABS.. your car doenst need to have it to pass an MOT, but if it does come fitted, it must function properly otherwise it was an MOT fail...

If the car didnt have either function (my evo 8 came with HIDs but no wash or leveling), no big deal! I actually enquired with VOSA on the requirements and it came down to a very shortened version of being:
LEVELING: some cars (sports cars) have sufficiently stiff suspension that travelling up hills doesn't increase the beam angle that auto leveling would be required to compensate for..(lots of loopholes there).
WASH: it is recognised that some cars dont have wash function (???)
That all changed in 2009 when VOSA specified a light intesnity that then nescesitates wash / leveling.. Just not my Mrs car (2014 E350 with LED inteligent lighting doenst have a wash function yet passes an MOT without question, it does have auto leveling though)..

sorry about the link, any of these three bulbs would be a worthy upgrade!
  1. Osram Night Breaker Laser Next Generation
  2. Bosch Gigalight Plus 120
  3. GE Megalight +150

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I upgraded mine with LEDs from a uk company ABD.co.uk their bulbs are can bus compatible and work very well, one of the best upgrades I've done to my Kuga.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ozekuga can i ask does youre kuga have the self levelling lights and headligh washers? Some of the guys were suggesting that if i went ahead and put the upgraded lights on my kuga its a potential to fail the mot?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hi Ozekuga can i ask does youre kuga have the self levelling lights and headligh washers? Some of the guys were suggesting that if i went ahead and put the upgraded lights on my kuga its a potential to fail the mot?
No on both counts, and we don't have any Mot type test.
The bulbs are cheap enough that you could fit them, enjoy the bright headlights, then swap them back to standard when it goes for its Mot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again Ozekuga can i ask the bulbs you changed were they just the dipped headlights or both? Also were the bulbs just interchangeable with the stock ones?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I only changed the dipped bulbs, yes they are interchangeable with stock.
Have a look on their website, put in your vehicle details and it will give you a choice of bulbs both LED and halogen which will fit your car, and no can bus errors.

Reactions: martin2017kuga

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hi again Ozekuga can i ask the bulbs you changed were they just the dipped headlights or both? Also were the bulbs just interchangeable with the stock ones?
Have a look at this thread from a couple of years ago, it clearly demonstrates how much better these LEDs are.

Reactions: murcod

·
Registered
[ Phil ]
468 Posts
I did shy away from upgrading to LED headlights, as the standard ones are pretty bright and white enough on my 2019 ST-Line Edition, but I did upgrade the turning bulbs to Osram.

You just have to watch the bulb life on all of those brighter incandescents, as they can be pretty poor, but that's the trade off for brighter whiter light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts