Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ford kuga 1.5 tdci white
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am Agatino and I live in Ireland. For about a month I have bought a 2017 ford kuga 1.5 tdci here in ireland. I am very happy with a beautiful car from all points of view. I have only one problem: woooooow-type turbulence noise that occurs at 110 km-h and then disappears after 120 km-h. It does this on any road surface. New bridgestone tires (he also did it with old tires), I had the wheel bearings checked all ok. Has such a thing ever happened to you? Not even the mechanic can understand where this noise comes from. Thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hi Agatino welcome to the forum,lots of helpful folks on here to help you with your question,,,sorry but that problem had never happened to my kuga,but I’m sure here could help you,,ask anything you want about the kuga even if it sounds bizarre someone here could help you.
If you could put details of your kuga in your signature it would help other forum users when you need help or advice in the future saves you repeating your self every time you have a question..

Ross

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ross, thanks for the reply. I hope someone from this forum is able to help me solve the problem. we are unable to understand where the noise comes from. thanks

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have similar sound on mine and definitely sounds like a wheel bearing. It passed MOT like this and it will providing their is no play and the tester can't hear any noise. You can hear it on mine from about 35 mph and then not sure what speed it disappears as there is too much wind noise after that.

If the sound goes away or isn't as bad going around a corner when the suspension loads at one side and unloads at the other, then it's a wheel bearing.

I had a Michelin tyre once that produced a similar noise and thought that was a bearing. The fitter at ATS knew if the problem and said if I put it in the front it would go away. He was right.

On another occasion I definitely knew a front wheel bearing was noisy on a Rover 827. Our works fitter checked and report was ok. I got him to replace both front wheel bearings and noise went away. I think it is a wheel bearing on mine but cannot be 100%.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the mechanic checked with the specific tool if the bearings were noisy by turning the wheels with the first gear engaged on the bridge in the workshop. no noise. then he called ford explaining the problem and they replied that it could be a problem due to air turbulence coming from outside. They advised him to try the paper tape to find the exact spot (it seems absurd to me). however I personally put the paper tape on any slot in the car making several attempts but the noise remained the same. my mechanic replied that he does not know how to solve the problem and to go to the garage where I bought the kuga. i can't find a competent mechanic here in ireland, but the most absurd thing is that ford says to try with paper tape. I don't know what to do

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Once had the same on a mk1, turned out to be a delaminating tyre.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed all 4 tires. the noise remained the same. I mounted 4 new bridgestone tires.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Windscreen area related then, coming off a seal maybe. It’s annoying to say the least. Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Kuga Mk2.5 ST Line X 2.0D AWD 180 Moondust Silver Loads of Extras
3 Posts
I had a similar sound on my last mk2, it turned out to be the noise of the wind passing over the front wiper arms, took them off and the noise disappeared, apparently one of the arms was bent slightly. Could try this and see

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my noise occurs at 110 km / h and disappears after 120 km / h. was yours the same? anyway I will try and let you know. thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Kuga Mk2.5 ST Line X 2.0D AWD 180 Moondust Silver Loads of Extras
3 Posts
the Noise on mine didn’t quite disappear but it became less noise, it’s worth a try

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I think one of the problems with the Kuga is the design of the load cover, or should I say the lack of design. My dad used to call this a "drumming" noise that you get when the boot area is open. Not the sound of a drum obviously, but that's what he called it. Anyone ever noticed how much louder a hatch back is with the parcel shelf removed. Well that's how it is in the Kuga as the load area isn't sealed. There's a gap front and rear. I think it's diabolical. Whoever designed it needs to go back to design school. The car should have had a proper load cover that fits the space. No excuse it's an SUV. If vauxhall can design one that fits, why can't ford. Most cars I have had have a vent in the boot so noise us going to come in there. Haven't checked if the Kuga has one.

@Agatino - has your car got wind deflectors. If so take them off and see if it's any difference. I doubt the test your mechanic did was any good to be honest. How did he test the rear wheels. Take your car on an a road where you can get up to speed with twists and turns. If the noise goes away when you go around a bend it's a wheel bearing. If it doesn't then it's either wind or something in the drive chain such as gearbox bearing or driveshaft. It is quite rare they fail but I had a boot split once on a driveshaft and didn't know. Water and road muck soon made its mark and had to be replaced.

As for the noise in mine I will just leave it as chances are I could replace all four wheel bearings and still be left with the noise. The Kuga is not good for noise and the wife only remarked the other day, she wouldn't want to go far in it. That's the only issue buying second hand as you don't know if it's been accident damaged, had a windscreen etc and something isn't fitting as well as it should.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for your answer. I have no deflectors and on roads with many curves there is no noise. only when it reaches 110 km / h begins a wooooow-like noise of dark and continuous resonance that vanishes at 120 km / h. even if I put the gearbox in neutral the noise remains at the said speed. I noticed when I put the cruis control at 120kmh that if I get close to the steering, the noise on it almost disappears and then reappears when I put it in the correct position. I also tried to operate the wipers but the noise does not change. The mechanic did not hear any strange noise when turning the rear wheels manually. unfortunately it is not very easy to find a good mechanic here, I have changed several and all of them were very superficial.😔

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I've read about wind noise problems on the earlier build USA models. I believe it was something to do with poor sealing internally where the wing mirror is fitted on the door.

PS: You don't happen to have roof racks/ cross bars fitted do you? Or the panoramic sun roof?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no i have a 2017 ford kuga 1.5 tdci titanium and it is all original as it came from the factory. it does not have a panoramic roof.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi I removed the front wiper arms, I closed any slot in the car with paper tape, nothing the noise remains the same. I contacted the garage that sold me kuga and told me they let me know when to leave the kuga for him to have it checked by his mechanic. I keep you updated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Have you tried driving with mirrors in the folded position, hence altering the air flow around car, im afraid its going to be a process of elimination

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I think a lot of the noise is generated from the boot. Any gap and noise will get through it and on the Kuga it's open back and front of the load cover. Possibly get a passenger in the car to establish if noise is coming from the front or rear, left or right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts