Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, what a brilliant forum. I don't have a Kuga - yet - but want one badly. I have not seen one on the roads around here (Emsworth) but sat in one in the dealers on Hayling Island.

I have a bit of a problem with the size of my garage and wonder if a Kuga will fit in. It is mainly a question of width over door mirrors (those on my Focus have both come into contact with the door surround). Could anyone tell me if, when the mirrors are folded in, they are then within the overall width of the body? In other words, with the door mirrors folded, is the width dimension as shown in the brochure - ie 1842mm? It is so hard to tell. Looking at an end-on photo, it looks like the body bulges out below waist level - which ought ot give the width dimension and folded mirrors might - just - keep within this dimension. I really would not like to keep the Kuga out in the open. Before the Focus, I had a Mk 2 Mondeo, which was longer but about the same width as the Focus. Of course, getting it into the garage is one thing - then I have to open the door to get out ha ha.

Would be interested in any comments you might have.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi IwannaKuga,

Welcome to the forum.

I know how you feel with this problem. I too, was worried about the size of the Kuga in relation to the garage. The way I solved this was to take a Kuga home and try getting it in!! I have a really nice dealer who allowed me to do this and he also came with me to help guide me back into the garage. It did go in and I was able to get out of the car!! That particular Kuga didn't have folding mirrors so they had to folded in manually (obviously)when I reached the door supports, but unfolded again so you can see either side of the Kuga and how much space you have. I will be marking the wall so I know how far back I can go before touching the central-heating boiler which of course wouldn't be aterribly good thing to do. I had a C-Max before so I'm used reversing a fairly large car into a garage. The Kuga I have, (which I pick up on Monday) does have folding mirrors, will make this whole process alot lot easier. Sorry if I'm waffling but I hope all this helps. Good luck with your Kuga
Oh by the way I don't know if this helps either but my house was built in 1994, so garage is a fair decent size, 8 feet by 13 feet I think.

·
Registered
268 Posts
And Welcome from me too IwannaKuga !!!

I did exactly the same as KugaCat - I also tried one in my garage before I ordered. I have a double garage widthways, but with 2 single width doors and a brick pillar inbetween, so I am also restricted on "drive in" space with a clearance width of 2.08 metres for each door...

I also have power folding mirrors and they do make life a lot easier !!! Especially when its raining !!

I can easily get my Kuga in my garage !!

Good Luck !!

·
Registered
268 Posts
KugaCat said:
Hi IwannaKuga,

Welcome to the forum.

I know how you feel with this problem. I too, was worried about the size of the Kuga in relation to the garage. The way I solved this was to take a Kuga home and try getting it in!! I have a really nice dealer who allowed me to do this and he also came with me to help guide me back into the garage. It did go in and I was able to get out of the car!! That particular Kuga didn't have folding mirrors so they had to folded in manually (obviously)when I reached the door supports, but unfolded again so you can see either side of the Kuga and how much space you have. I will be marking the wall so I know how far back I can go before touching the central-heating boiler which of course wouldn't be aterribly good thing to do. I had a C-Max before so I'm used reversing a fairly large car into a garage. The Kuga I have, (which I pick up on Monday) does have folding mirrors, will make this whole process alot lot easier. Sorry if I'm waffling but I hope all this helps. Good luck with your Kuga
Oh by the way I don't know if this helps either but my house was built in 1994, so garage is a fair decent size, 8 feet by 13 feet I think.

Hi KugaCat !!

Its great news to read that you are finally collecting your Kuga on Monday !!!
You must be soooooo excited

I'm sure you are going to love her !! I have done 500 miles this week in mine
Fantastic Car !!!

I hope your Handover goes smoothly - Have Fun

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi KugaCat,

Many thanks for your kind reply. You reminded me of when I tried to reverse the Focus in with mirrors folded back (manually) - almost like driving blind. I must measure my garage width again, but I think it must be about the same as yours - behind the door pillars. My house was built in 1964 or so and the garage must have been sized for a Morris Minor or something.

My previous car was a Mk 2 Mondeo and I would have liked the next model, however, that had got wider and longer (don't they ever) - hence the present Focus. The Kuga is so appealing though that I am reconsidering. Like the higher ride and 4wd would have been a bit safer on this winter's snow and ice. Will have to get a test drive. I think I am getting a bit obsessive now....... Once again, many thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi KugaBabe,

Thanks for your reply also. You are quite right, must try one out to be sure. Ha, just another thought - how do you get on in supermarket car parks - our local Waitrose has stupidly small parking spaces. Come to think of it though, I have seen big Merc and BMW 4x4's in it - completely filling the width of the spaces. I guess the best idea is to find two spaces side by side and parking completely in the middle

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Good idea IwannaKuga! It was at Waitrose that I picked up some damage to my Kuga, not that I am blaming Waitrose, just the stupid people that sometimes shop there

·
Registered
268 Posts
IwannaKuga said:
Hi KugaBabe,

Thanks for your reply also. You are quite right, must try one out to be sure. Ha, just another thought - how do you get on in supermarket car parks - our local Waitrose has stupidly small parking spaces. Come to think of it though, I have seen big Merc and BMW 4x4's in it - completely filling the width of the spaces. I guess the best idea is to find two spaces side by side and parking completely in the middle

No surely not IwannaKuga !!!! You would give us Kuga Owners a bad name....lol.........

We have a fairly new Tesco, with stupidly small spaces (obviously so as they can get more cars parked !) I will admit that this week I have driven round until I could find a space with at least one other next to it - or failing that an end space !!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I do that too! If a car looks remotely dodgy or not looked after I won't park next to it. My Kuga looks more comfortable and relaxed when he is parked in Waitrose. Funny how their car park always seems to be full of Mercs and 4X4s!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Good point, My previous car picked up a nice graze down the side when some idiot just slung their trolley away across the car park. Mind you, my Kuga has picked up some admiring glances in such a public place so maybe it pays to advertise.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi KugaBabe,

Talk about confusing delivery dates!!! Two days after being told the car wouldn't arrive until the 14th, lo and behold, she turns up at the dealer!! What's that all about
! I'm sure everything will be fine though.

I have been told that the car is listed as a 'mis-build', because the illuminated scuff plates that I ordered are missing! So now I have lots of grovelling from the dealer offering an apology, which is good, but I would have liked to have everything on the car that I ordered.

Oh well, less to go wrong.

Thanks for your kind words by the way and I'm really pleased you are loving your Kuga.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi KugaCat, good to hear that your Kuga has arrived early. Hope you enjoy her(?) and you don't get any of the problems flagged up on this forum. I note that you are on/near Dartmoor - in the county of my birth - very good choice of car for that area. My brother lives in North Devon and his favourite is the Landrover, what you might call the "cooking" version. I prefer a bit of refinement.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi IWK,

Yes we are very close to Dartmoor, I can see Haytor Rocks from the bedrooms! A beautiful place and perfect for a Kuga to 'prowl' around.

Referring to the Land Rover would that be a sport model, I don't really know much about them, but certainly agree with you about refinement.

Thanks for your kind words, I hope too that she will be OK and won't suffer any of the problems seen on here. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi KC, actually, my brother's Landrover is very much a "working" model, I am not sure if it is a Defender or before that. Unlike me, he goes for the "true off-roader" approach - I am afraid I like something a bit more smooth and refined now. When working overseas, our department had a couple of Chevrolet Blazers, somewhat larger than the LR and much more brutal, but great fun off-road.

I have to admit, after reading some peoples woes with their new Kugas, it is a bit worrying.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi IWK,
I feel the same, alittle aprehensive but also excited. The Kuga as a 3 year warranty so hopefully any problems that (I'm hoping there won't be any) crop up will be sorted out.

Good Luck with your search for your Kuga

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My Kuga was in Hampshire today doing the M3 run to Surrey, passed another black one going the opposite way (southbound) at around 11 AM.
Don't be too concerned about some of the niggles, its a fantastic car. I bet if you went on any other car club forum there would be posts about similar issues.

Good luck in your search from me too.

Sarah

1 - 17 of 17 Posts