Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

Hesitation on acceleration

13K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Ionut 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 Titanium 2.0 TDCI 180ps AWD with Powershift box, and from new it has been intermittently hesitating when accelerating from low speeds, say when overtaking a cyclist, or moving into traffic flow on a roundabout.I may go a week with no problem then the problem occurs again when in traffic. The car generally feels "lumpy" to drive when it is in this condition then reverts to feeling normal after a while. Weather conditions make no difference.
The car has been into a dealership 3 times and they say they cannot replicate the fault. Ford customer relations want to classify it as a driver fault!!
I believe the smaller dry-clutch powershift boxes exhibited this problem but apparently this problem should not occur with the bigger fluid-clutch systems.
Has anyone experienced similar problems?

#2 ·
The only hesitation I get from mine is when it sometimes can't decide whether it wants 2nd or 3rd at slow speeds under light throttle.

Has the dealer reset the gearbox back to its factory default settings for you? When new the gearboxes try and learn your driving style over the first 10 driving cycles they can learn a mis-shift.

#4 ·
I had fuel vaporiser replaced in my previous MK2 180 because of hesitation.

#6 ·
Further to my post on 30 April I have had some significant results. The fault was referred to Ford Customer Services who who arranged for the car to go to Trust Ford, the main dealer in Epsom. To cut a long story short, after 3 visits and me leaving the car with them for 2 weeks, they said there was no problem and I was informed by Ford CRC that they considered it to be a driver problem!! I have only been driving for 50+ years so I suppose I am still learning.The scene now moves to Brixham in Devon. I took the car into Gliddon's who have some great technical people. They an*lysed the log of events and noticed that Trustford were supposed to have carried out a "Injector Learn" process which re-teaches the injectors to interface with the engine CPU. This is supposed to take 46 minutes but the log showed that Trustford had exited the programme after about 6 minutes.
Gliddons re-ran the Injector Learn programme, and hey presto! the car now runs perfectly.
I have had the car from new so I don't know why the original settings went askew ...the problem started after about 1000 miles. ...now done 6000.
They may go off again, who knows.
My message from all this is that Customer Services are not there to actually help you, the customer. They are to protect Ford in the face of incompetence by dealer workshops .

#7 ·
Well thats an excellent result and hope its stays 'tuned'.

Yes sort of sticks in your through that they believe it's you and not the car, apart from generally, no one wants to leave their car with the garage even if we think the garage know what they are doing. Clearly your TrustFord know what they are doing, but unfortunately they don't know what they did was wrong.

And did you just take it into Gliddons for a second opinion?

Edited by: Fillco

#8 ·
I happened to be on holiday in Brixham and they had previously sorted a problem for me on my Mondeo last year so I decided to try and get a second opinion as the problem on the Kuga seemed to be getting worse.They serve the local community so their reputation is important....they actually seemed interested in solving the problem!!

#9 ·
Brixham is a great place to stay, and looks like it could be a good excuse for a service and stay (but a long ride for you)

#10 ·
Hi all. Is anyone having this problem with their Kuga.

A sudden surge, lunge, leap in acceleration — at any speed, when in normal drive or when cruise or limiter is engaged. (It does not matter which) This sudden acceleration is not subject to any circumstance - it simply happens! The car then returns to normal speed, leaving me shaken.

Rara.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.