Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you help me please first of all i have lost the little key that sits inside the key fob and wonder if this is the reason my car will not start. When i press the ignition button once, the car radio goes on as if normal and when i push it a second time it makes a horrific sound like a very fast clicking sound and the car will not start. So i am unable to start it. I have not had any problems with it before except a couple of time it has stalled on me. I dont believe it has any thing to do with the little key that has come out of the key fob (but you might tell me other wise) i have driven the car for 3 days with out it (do you know how i can get another key) and how much it costs. Thankyou please let me know if you have any idea how i start my car, im living in Spain and this is a huge hassle thankyou Wendy

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hi Wendy,

I am SO sorry you seem to be having problems starting your Kuga. I am not sure what you mean about the little key on your fob? TheKuga should start as long as you have the keys in the car. I know it sounds obvious but have you got it in neutral and the clutch down? It should 'fire up' straight away!

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi its Wendy again the fob which you use to open and close the door has a little key inside of it which can be used in emergency to open the door manually that is thekey i lost i still have the key fob does that make sence ?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hmmm....
I see you press the start button twice. This is not necessary, just depress the clutch pedal fully (you should hear the imobilser and steering lock click out now if the ignition key is in range) and then push and hold the start button down, the engine should start & then let the button go!

If the car still won't start then, as andy says above, it sounds as if the starter motor has a problem (sorry to say) or the battery is too discharged to operate the starter properly and you will need some help from your local Ford dealer or breakdown club.

The mini-key is serialised, and again you will need to get a replacement via your dealer. It's needed to open the bonnet of the Kuga, so I hope you have a spare close-by, otherwise this is going to make things doubly difficult for the repair people!
Good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
If the battery is charged OK, try knocking the starter motor with a nice piece of wood (if you can get at it) this may solve the problem as a temporary measure enabling you to get to a ford dealer.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Actually, this used to happen on an old Renault I drove for a while. It had a worn pre-engage ring on the clutch and jam the starter from time to time, always in embarrassing places. I had to put the car in 1st or reverse gear and then 'rock' the car to try and turn the motor a little, this used to move the starter motor pinion and free it up so I could then start the car normally .......maybe using your double push technique of the start button has done some damage in this area?

Try that.......or get some help from family, friends or neighbours and bump start the beast.... but make sure the steering lock is free first!
Edited by: quatroxquatro

·
Registered
115 Posts
The ford badge on the front grill swings out of the way revealing a key hole. I don't think the badge would sit normally if the key was present?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankyou so much it was the battery derrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! they told me i must have left something on llike the radio or an indicator!!!! i thought the radio switched off after one hour and do you think thats right about the indicator wx

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does not sound right to me, the radios on fords do switch off after an hour. The indicator turns on the parking lights when the ignition is off so over a long period of time this could be possible. Do u have any after Market add ons like a tow bar? Could be something not wired correctly causing a drain on the battery otherwise it's the alternator.

·
Registered
173 Posts
sounds quite serious
, don't know how old your car is but presuming its no more than a year old,certainly shouldn't have run out of batt power
,if you have no after market modifications e.g. tow-bar, extra lights or any thing fitted out with the ford garage, then you have a defective batt that would be covered by warranty,if you have had mods fitted by the ford garage then it could be fitted wrong ,(have had this once)e.g.draining the batt over a period of time .Your parking lights would remain on all the time and you would notice them so I don't think its them, you may have left an internal light on e.g. map light or boot light or your children may have left one on (if you have them),you would also have had a spare key fob with key inside and a coded standard key, 3 in total which come with new Kugas, definately worth replacing key but not overly urgent, if problem persists as in a month or so down line def needs checked out. sorry couldn't be more help Edited by: the Bear

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bear, are u sure the battery is covered under warrenty? My old Cavalier SRI had the same thing but it was classed as a consumable item like clutches and tires. Ended up having to pay for a new one!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I think it has what ford call a sliding scale. dependant on age, mileage etc....
My dad had a battery prob on his cmax from new, when cmax`s had a charge problem which led to a recall. Apparantly dealer replaced the battery under warranty, but just out of the 1st year warranty guess what.... battery went dead. We reckon it was never replaced, but dealer charged ford for it and it appeared on the cars ford history record. after a struggle ford paid half the cost of a replacement. since the replacement he has had no trouble at all. they also tried to wriggle out of it because of the towbar that the dealer fitted for him !!!!! cheeky buggers them dealers....

·
Registered
173 Posts
most batt types here come with a 2 year warranty,so yes it should be covered,

In this country we have rights and too many of us just accept what we are being told, when you have possibly paid around £20k for your car stick to your guns and kick up a fuss, why do you think they call me
'The Bear'
its not because I'm cute and cuddly.(well my wife thinks I am)

Not had any real problems with my beast just an annoying little rattle from parcel shelf which went away its self ,but have also been taking some pre-emptive measures from tips from you guys, better to be safe than sorry !

I've had several different manufacturers motors and this is by far the best, enjoying tremendously. never had and will never have a Black Minging Wagon!
Edited by: the Bear

·
Registered
418 Posts
I left the ignition on for a few hours earlier this year and that flattened the battery...

Stupidly parked outside my house, turned the car off and then decided to make a phonecall - ignition back on for bluetooth, left the car and went inside.

Tried to lock it about five hours later it wouldn't and just clicked when I tried to start it.

The AA man got it running the next morning.

'Did you leave anything on sir?'

'No, unless it was my son'

1 - 17 of 17 Posts