Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After a quick stop off this evening I started the Kuga up and drove a few yards down the road and the car just died. It was if I had turned the ignition off as it just coasted to a stop and then the engine stopped, with the 'press clutch to start being displayed'. I tried to start the car and the starter motor turned the engine but the car would just not start. I pressed the unlock on the fob and tried again, it was the same in that the starter motor turned the engine but it would not start.

Pressing the lock on the fob gave nothing as the ignition was on so I took the key out of the fob, popped the cover and put the key in - didn't read the manual in that the key doesn't turn - doh! Pressed the start button and the car started first press - weird.

The car drove fine and when I parked up, locked the car from the fob and it restarted fine without the key as it would normally.

Will keep an eye on it, and mention to the dealer.

Anyone have any ideas???

cheers

cornish

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That IS really weird. Two days ago hubby was driving and we turned a corner and he said " I've got no power!" All the display lights were on and we seemed to be just coasting. Kept pressing the ignition button, nothing, then suddenly it all seemed ok. Hubby reckoned there was no problem and he probably just stalled it. Maybe he had but now you have posted this comment it has made me think.
Ours is an ex demo so hopefully it was just stalled?!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dealers and FMC have to be notified about this immeadiately, as it could be a common fault.
How many miles have you both done if you don't mind me asking?

Just imagine being in the fast lane of four on the motorway in rush hour, and the car losing all power. Fatal accident waiting to happen I reckon.......

Edited by: daisbuys

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi all, this happened to me in September and thought it was just me stalling it and would not immediately re-start (pulling out from a junction - luckily in a quiet estate!). Powered everything off and onand off again(withouth depressing clutch) and then it started OK.

Not had the problem since.

Only niggle at the moment (other than the lack of washer level warning on my build and the carpet fiasco) is that I have just has my 12.5k service and on my way to Heathrow last Sunday for a business trip, got an "Oil Service" warning. Hope this is just the garage forgetting to reset something to do with service schedule in the computer.

Called Garage from Munich and advised that I had checked the oil level and all looks OK and they said there was no problem with me driving back from Heathrow and dropping it in for them to check...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Peugeot had a problem with their 206's cutting out for no reason a few years back. I think it was on BBC Watchdog and all, major problem. My boss has a 307 and hers keeps doing the same, she can be driving along, all of a sudden the car cuts out, no power steering, abs etc. Once the car has stopped moving, turned off the ignition and fired it back up again and drove off like nothing had happened. Peugeot won't admit that the 206 fault occurs on the 307 so they won't investigate the problem...

Best report it to your dealer

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Phoned the dealer and he says if it does it again, bring it in to see if there was an error code.

Freddie - yep, key in jeans pocket and I have noticed in the past that I have had the 'key not detected' sometimes when wearing jeans. Normally the key is in my coat pocket, could be that I suppose.

Will keep an eye on it and see how it goes but done a few hundred miles since Friday and no problems - even hit the M4 last night and it was fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did you have your mobile or work pass card or co-tag in the same pocket as well?

I think there maybe a slight interference from other objects. My work co-tag doesn't work if its in my pocket with my keys/mobile so I thought it might stop the key from working too??Edited by: Freddie Kuga

1 - 9 of 9 Posts