Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Ford Kuga BUT I have had a new battery and new alternator installed BUT car does not start up intermittently. I now never know if the car will start. Light comes on but when I push power button does not turn over. I have to call someone out to get it started. Today I was told there is nothing wrong with battery or alternator but there seems to be a spike on the circuit!! The car has been in the garage twice now!! Does anyone have any idea as the mechanic this morning did not know why the car was behaving like this?? I use the car a lot to pick my grandchildren up!!
Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I would get your garage to check ALL of the earth connections as there has been a spate of starting problems caused by badly connected or corroded earth points (notably the 'hidden one' behind the battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would get your garage to check ALL of the earth connections as there has been a spate of starting problems caused by badly connected or corroded earth points (notably the 'hidden one' behind the battery.
thank you. I will do that
tomorrow. So worried I will break down with grandchildren in tow!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Is it auto or manual. Check switches on clutch (manual) brake (auto) and if you find it doesnt turn over then operate the clutch or brake to see if that makes any differen to it turning over. You mechanic should be able to use the OBD port to verify that the switches are operating to allow it to turn over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it auto or manual. Check switches on clutch (manual) brake (auto) and if you find it doesnt turn over then operate the clutch or brake to see if that makes any differen to it turning over. You mechanic should be able to use the OBD port to verify that the switches are operating to allow it to turn over.
Hi there. It is automatic. I will ask garage to check the OBD port. Thank you

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Also it has been reported about the bolts that fasten the starter motor to the car being rusty. Possibly corrosion is worse for anyone living near the sea due to the salt in the air. That bit could be a bit of an old wives tale now but still remember my dad saying he would never buy a seaside car. Those were the days before car manufacturers discovered underseal.

·
Registered
872 Posts
There's a relay in the fuse box in engine bay that drives the starter solenoid.

I would replace that as a matter of course, I have seen these fail multiple times.

The PCM won't know the internal contacts are bad and won't throw a code.

For the sake of £5 replace it just to rule it out..

·
Registered
872 Posts
It's unlikely to be Brake pedal switch as it asks you to press brake to start car on the Autos, if it hasn't asked it can see the pedal is pressed.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The rear battery terminal should be closely checked and especially the small module attached to it. If there's any signs of corrosion get it cleaned and check the small wires going to that module. It's vital for the correct charging of the battery.

Was the Battery Management System reset when the new battery was installed too?

·
Registered
296 Posts
david , that leads to the question - if the negative battery terminal is so important , why did Ford design the battery negative side to be in such an awkward position ?.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
david , that leads to the question - if the negative battery terminal is so important , why did Ford design the battery negative side to be in such an awkward position ?.
Form over function, it doesn't matter to a designer if you can't get to the battery terminals or be able to access it for changing. As long as it looks good!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Generaly if the battery terminal is loose and you attempt to start the engine the voltage drop across the poor battery connection as the starter relay pulls in would cause the starter relay to rattle as it pulls in and drops out as it tries to power the starter motor solenoid and lights will dip (is this happening?). I guess this isn't being heard. Fuse F13 in battery fuse box for the starter relay could be unseated, as something to check as well as checking the relay as keithmac suggests (listen for it pulling in as you attempt to start)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a relay in the fuse box in engine bay that drives the starter solenoid.

I would replace that as a matter of course, I have seen these fail multiple times.

The PCM won't know the internal contacts are bad and won't throw a code.

For the sake of £5 replace it just to rule it out..
Thank you. I am off to garage

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
What does whoever you get to start it actually do to start it?

PS what year and model is your Kuga?

·
Registered
872 Posts
You can jump the relay in the engine bay to turn the engine over (be very careful!), the two big pins on the relay joined together activate the solenoid and starter.

If you have a no-start, pull the relay and jump the starter pins. If the engine spins at this point you've proved the starter/ battery/ all wiring between them is good.

This then leaves the relay itself, wiring from PCM to relay and the PCM as fault suspects.

Jumping the relay on a no-start will save hours of fault finding.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Saying all that above, does the car power up ok with the start button?, could be a worn button causing issues.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Says the light comes on. We await and see.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Ok we at least know the model.

So when they come out, do put jump leads on anyway?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Form over function, it doesn't matter to a designer if you can't get to the battery terminals or be able to access it for changing. As long as it looks good!
It makes sense to have the negative hidden (out of the two) as you can disconnect the negative at the strut tower. Then you can disconnect the positive terminal on the accessible side of the battery if you require the battery to be totally isolated. If the earth was at the front you wouldn't be able to do that.

The next question - couldn't they have built the BMS into the positive cable? The same current flow is in both the positive and negative cables. (It's probably to do with the electronic components required being more readily/ cheaply available to suit the earth side.)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts