Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Kuga ST-Line First Edition PHEV CVT + Skinny Spare Wheel & Dashcam
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY 20 plate ST is in my garage, has been charging yesterday and now I cannot get into it via the remote key fob - or even by using the manual key in the drivers door lock. Car is completely unresponsive, and I cannot even remove the charging cable which is locked in!

I don't have Ford Assist as the car is now 16 months old, albeit my Kuga is still well within the three year warranty. Looks like I will need to call out my recovery service, something I haven't had to do for eons!

Has this happened to anyone else with a Mark 3 Kuga?

Watch this space....
Phil

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update - by fiddling with the key in the drivers doorlock I have gained access to the inside of the car. This is now a 12v flat battery problem which appears to be caused by leaving the type 2 charger cable plugged in overnight after the traction battery was fully charged. Other Kuga owners club writers have reported that leaving the cable plugged in overnight can discharge the 12V battery..... I read on here that Ford will perform a software update to prevent this parasitic discharge occuring... that as maybe, something I need to look into later when I am back on the road.

I now need to get access to the 12v battery in the PHEV's boot so I can charge it. I can crawl into the boot area from inside the cabin where I understand the 12v battery is located, but ideally I need to gain access to the boot via the tailgate. So now I am trying to find out how to manually raise the tailgate when the electrics are powerless...

As this hasn't happened before I hope the 12v battery survives the ordeal of discharging to a low level. If I can get access to it I can check the voltage, before attaching my 12v charger to it.

Phil

·
Registered
Kuga ST- Line X PHEV
56 Posts
Don't try opening the boot. The bonnet opening lever is plastic and can be pulled past the passenger door with a bit of effort. Under the bonnet on passenger side are the pos and neg terminals to which a charger can be connected.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't try opening the boot. The bonnet opening lever is plastic and can be pulled past the passenger door with a bit of effort. Under the bonnet on passenger side are the pos and neg terminals to which a charger can be connected.
Thanks Gordon - I'll look under the bonnet then, to see if I can find those pos and neg terminals. I can get access into the boot from inside the car, but seem to remember when I last looked under the boot carpet that the battery is covered by a polystyrene shroud. I also have a skinny spare in there and jack, over the 12v battery housing. I put the spare wheel in there myself last month.

Thanks for replying.

Phil

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,748 Posts
Am I missing something. Isn’t Ford Assist for 3 yrs and runs along side the warranty but then is only put back after a service or safety check

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After ringing Ford Assist you are right Psshaw. The Ford Assist runs out unless you have the car serviced after the 12 month period runs out. Mine was (allegedly) serviced by Motorpoint at the one year old point with 2000 miles on the clock. That doesn't count. After my experience today with the flat battery issue I intend getting a proper Ford service done, as well as all software updates. Hopefully that will prevent a re-occurence of my flat battery problem which I am in the process of resolving. More to follow - with photos!

Cheers, Phil

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,748 Posts
Your not alone in the symptoms you have described.
Further research using the search bar at the top of the page, may help in what others have done to resolve the issue, either temporarily or for good.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,748 Posts
I’m not sure you’ve read that right.
Doesn’t the Ford assist run for 3 years , then defaults with a service etc.

I’ve had lots of new Kugas and the 67 Vignale had the cover for three years…..so if I’m reading your post right, it’s been service but not by Ford.
Has some said it’s not covered. ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Under the bonnet on passenger side are the pos and neg terminals to which a charger can be connected.
Well Gordon, those terminals were not easy to find. I did find what appeared to be booted cables under a removable plastic cover, that appeared to come from the battery in the rear of the vehicle. Not sure though. However, it wasn't possible to attach charger cables to these as no conductors were exposed. If you could post a photo of the terminals you mean that would be very helpful.

To help others who might have the same 12v battery problem:

I did however climb into the boot from the back seat area in my PHEV and remove the 12v polystyrene battery cover under my spare wheel. See photo of that cover on the bench. It is held in place by two clips that can be unscrewed from their studs. Removal exposed the 45 AH battery (Photo below). The voltage measured was 4.3 VOLTS! Fortunately I bought a RING 6A Smart Charger a few months ago, when the Lexus NX Hybrid I had before was reportedly having a similar issue to this one. I never had to use the charger before.

Having removed the cover I was able to access the positive and negative battery terminals, and the battery is now charging (Photo). When the LCD display shows 12 volts I will attempt to unlock the doors and remove the cable going to my type 2 wall charger.

I'll be booking her in to my nearest Ford dealership in Scarborough this week for service and software update. They told me that on one day each week a specially trained technician is in attendance who knows more about the PHEV and EV vehicles that Ford now make. That will be the day to go for, and hopefully the guy won't be off that day with Covid 19!

Watch this space....

Cheers, Phil
Audio equipment Font Gadget Computer hardware Electric blue

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

Auto part Wire Audio equipment Trunk Electrical wiring

Blue Audio equipment Automotive tire Shelf Gas

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has some said it’s not covered. ?
Yes, when I rang Ford Assist (AA) in Birmingham this morning, the first thing they said was your Ford Assist ran out in August 2021 - car was then one year old. Their next quesiton was - has it been serviced by Ford since then? I said no, it was done by Motorpoint who sold me the car. She said in that case it isn't covered.

Hopefully when I get my Kuga PHEV serviced in the next week or two that will restore the Ford Assist. As the car has only done 3300 miles I was planning to wait until summer to get it serviced, however after this problem, for peace of mind, I'm going to get it done pronto. I haven't had a Ford since I ran a Sierra XR4X4 V6 in 1994/1995.

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
413 Posts
Near the end of this vid it shows charging points under the bonnet...

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,748 Posts
Wow and I’m so surprised. It must be service dependant then.
Anyway, sounds like your on the right track.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,748 Posts
I see where I’ve got it wrong.
Oddly new cars get one year roadside assistance.
Ford direct vehicles get 2 years.

·
Registered
2017 Titanium iAWD 2.0 TDCI manual
1,764 Posts
Do all ford Garages give Ford assist?.or do you have to ask for it?

When I had mine serviced at Evans Halshaw three times they never mentioned Ford assist.Then the last srevice I.took it to another Ford Dealer (Aberdare Ford) they gave me Ford Assist.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The voltage measured was 4.3 VOLTS!
Sadly it looks like my 12V 45AH battery is now kaput, thanks to the parastic discharge which dropped the battery voltage to 4.3 Volts, due to the type 2 charger cable being left connected overnight.

Hopefully Ford will cover the cost of replacing the 12V 45AH battery - we'll see...

Thanks to Helipilot for highlighting that very useful uTube film regarding the under-bonnet live 12V positive terminal position, underneath the red cover. No harm in my trying to charge from there, or even use that to jump start the car should I need to.

Phil

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
4,141 Posts
Do all ford Garages give Ford assist?.or do you have to ask for it?

When I had mine serviced at Evans Halshaw three times they never mentioned Ford assist.Then the last srevice I.took it to another Ford Dealer (Aberdare Ford) they gave me Ford Assist.
Not all dealers have signed upto it Ross, my local dealer Bristol Street Motors dont offer it

Reactions: Ross J

·
Registered
2017 Titanium iAWD 2.0 TDCI manual
1,764 Posts
Thanks @RonnieM I didn’t think they were all doing the Ford Assist

·
Registered
162 Posts
Seems an ongoing issue with the Early "First Edition" mk3's built in 2020.
Touch wood, i don't think I've heard of any 2021 onwards cars having this issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
thought i'd share a vid of someone replacing the battery incase.
I've not had any experiences as issues as serious as your as I've only had the car 2 weeks. Did notice odd discahrging randomly in the night (having randomly checked on the ford app - noticed the this eve drop from 89% to 65% charge after ~5hrs just parked on my street). Is this normal? or did you notice any battery drain/discharges prior to this issue?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts