Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan blower has been fine, but today on a run the fan speed was 4 out of 6, a distinct smell of electrical burning. Then stopped altogether.

Fuse intact.

So I suspect the fan heater blower fan is kaput.

So the question is:
Has anybody else swapped this on the kuga (DM2)?
It is a big job? & where is it?
Is this a common thing to go wrong, and or could it be a wiring fault?

Cabin filter was changed last year, and would be weeks out of warranty!

Had a quick look on tinternet and about £120...??

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
That's a sickener

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nigel, just having a brew and investigating later. The special tool just grips it to install.

Or just could be the resistor perhaps. Will strip a bit to see & chat with my Auto leccy guy.

Just wondering if I am the first of a common thing? or just bad luck on a excellent car so far. 3year old + 6 weeks old!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a hour of messing, managed to take glovebox out and none the wiser.
The pictures in the manual Nigel posted are not the same as mine, is that for a mk1 or mk2?

The fan assembly is deep inside the console, and I just cant seem to take the side panels off to get to look.

Still not certain which side to attack, or is it a full strip down job?

Leave it for now and see what others say.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a update: contacted Bristol St motors of Bolton.

The service desk is to email the service / repair department of the failure.

Its a wait & see for Monday. At this time of year you miss it for heating & clearing screen.

No error messages on dashboard, and AC not working due to no fan. So I still think motor blowout.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Does any Kuga have a resistor pack these days? Surely Pulse Control.

Is it not climate control Daz?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Oh right, should have looked at my Hand book.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has a motor fan and a resistor.

Just to go through it again. The female of the species wacked the temp up to 24, her side, and fan from 2 to 4 setting.
Within a few seconds a smell of burning electrical varnish, that got worse, then powerfully strong. All through the vents. I was prepared for smoke due anytime to be fair.

During normal driving I do alter the fan setting, from zero to 6 so it does get used.

Not saying one thing or another, but the resistor would smolder and not be blown through the vent system.

With the fan motor within the heating unit, the breakdown / failure would be blown through.

At the moment, no fan controls what so ever. so jury out: fan motor or resistor?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Yours has climate control doesn't it (being able to adjust passenger and driver separate)? I didn't think it used a resistor stack in climate control and allows continuously variable fan when in auto, but yes steps in manual.

More likely the motor windings, either way you have no blower of course.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes mine is Climate control. 90% of the time just me in the car.

Being a outdoor country chap don't feel the cold much (skier as well). Them there passengers want their side warmer! and look what happened!
I do think motor windings as well - still not good. Just hope a one off and not a thing fellow members will start reporting on.

Euro parts has the fan motor unit at £229! (hella)

Can only wait for Monday to see what Bolton Ford have to say... To be continued....

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
OK yes well I'm sure they use variable speed control for the fan. Anyway investigation first.

You got to think of the 'special' passengers and make allowances too..

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
On the older ford heater motors if the resistor went it would still work on full speed but no a/c. Those were the 4 speed fan motors. Not sure where the heater motor is on the Kuga but if it's like my Mazda 6, very similar to Mondeo, it as under the glove box on passenger side and about 15 minute job to replace. I had to take mine out as when replacing the pollen filter a load of squirrel nuts fell in there. I thought I got them all but when I put then fan on it made a bit of a racket.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did change the cabin filter in August 2018 @ 21,000 miles.
I used a MANN filter which is a good make (People love them on here in the UK)

Present mileage shy of 38,000. and been in 14 months or so.
I am going to take it out now to have a look. - was going to change it at next service at 41,000.

Also inquired at my local factor: £109 +vat = 130 or a cheaper version at £87

The cheaper version HAS NOT got the control pack in?? It is a 2 pin rectangular plug apparently.
Would prefer to cross match the Ford OEM part number before ordering.

·
Super Moderator
1,778 Posts
Mann Filters are excellent. I have always used them when doing my own service and my local independent garage uses nothing else- so the filter won't be your problem.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would have thought it would be same system as cooling fan, PWM control via canbus.

Does the controller come as part of the motor?.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right just a update: Ford reckon a 2.5 hr job, total quote including a new fan was £698 inc vat!

But they want to do diagnostics first at another £100. may be over voltage etc B.S.

This could easily end to be £1200 +
And tough out of warranty...

My auto leccy said if over voltage be error codes every where. Ford Horlicks!

So got a real picture of the fan from auto factors: just one 2 pin plug on both types. So control done via something else.
Stripped a bit more & can see fan through a duct. at side of glove box side, not got a clue how to get it out so more homework to be done.

Cabin filter also removed, dirty: yes, motor unfriendly dirty : no, about 3 k miles from replacement: about right.

Checked all fuses and ok. AC kicks in, but no fan. temperature goes up and down ok. But if anyone can tell me this:
I cant get any flaps / ducts to move to divert to screen, cabin, leg area etc. so does fan kick in and something sense before flaps operate. Or am I looking at a control fault?

At the moment : straws clutching, & ideas folks. (With burning varnish as soon as fan on, convinced its the fan)

Just going to poke & try to rotate fan, see if seized, before darkness.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts