Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this problem before. Basically the front washer jets suddenly went from working fine to just having a weak spray from the centre one a couple of days ago. I took the wheel liner out, removed the pump but the washer bottle isn't blocked and the pump works fine. I put the pump into a jar of water, disconnected the pipe to the front screen jets and operated it and the water sprayed out with quite some force across the driveway, at this point I must mention that the rear screen washer works fine with no problems at all so that rules out the pump. I then removed the bonnet liner and disconnected the washer jet pipes from the main run and operated it again with the water spraying all over the bottom of the screen from all 3 pipes so that appears to rule out a blockage in the main pipe run. Finally I took one of the washer jets out and took the pipe off to see if the pipe from the main run down to the jet was blocked and it wasn't so I'm assuming the jets themselves are blocked which is baffling as they all worked fine at one point and now all 3 don't work. Stuck a pin down the washer jet from the pipe end and it felt like I was poking at a really tough sponge as the pin went quite far in about 30mm but still couldn't blow air through.

Put everything back together on the car and pulled the stalk and nothing apart from a weak spray from the centre one again, rear one still working perfectly. Did a quick search on the web and can't find these jets anywhere for sale so does anyone have any ideas for unblocking them or at least a link to somewhere I can buy them from.

Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
So is there flow from centre pipe when disconnect from the washer?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Could still be pump cant cope with the back pressure. Whats one pipe like when its off, though not sure what will prove.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Take the jets out and soak them overnight in distilled vinegar. This will dissolve any sludge build-up, Then test them again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what I was looking at doing when I get some white vinegar but thought there may be alternatives. I may even order a new pump just in case. Seems stronger with just one pipe off,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soaked in white vinegar and no joy really, you can see they are dripping when you pull the stalk but not spraying. it's weird TBH the centre one will spray in a burst on initial pull then stop. Still spraying on the rear as normal. Looks like it may be new jets...can't understand how all 3 could go at the same time. Going to order a new pump first and try that.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
We take it you can blow through the jets OK? Is the car still under warranty BTW

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No can't blow through the jets at all, no warranty as a Cat S repaired. I've ordered a new pump but I think it will be the jets. Still can't believe all 3 went for no reason.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Read recently there was a bad batch of screen wash sold in France that formed sludge and blocked loads of washer jets. It could be a similar thing with yours, apparently it came from China and the anti freeze additive in it went solid like glue, so blocked all the jets at once. Perhaps the branded, expensive, well known screen wash is a good choice after all !!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The one I use is Carplan but I know nothing about where it's from or who manufactures it. Incidently the centre and drivers jets are now allowing a weak spray which just makes it above the wipers onto the screen so not sure whether the white vinegar worked or not :unsure:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone taken a jet apart? I took it to a garage this morning and they put compressed air down it and still didn't unblock them. They took the fitting off of the back that the pipe connects to and there is a spring loaded non return valve built into it and its this that's causing the problem. It's like a rubbery disc fitted to a piece of plastic that has a small spring on the back so that when the water pressure is applied it compresses the spring and allows the water to the jet end and springs back to prevent the water dropping back into the washer bottle when it stops spraying. I've removed this from the jet and it now sprays onto the screen normally. Admittedly I have broken the jet trying to push the pipe fitting back into it but managed to glue it back on so that it works but now have to buy a new jet :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the jets and put them on and all is good now. They came with the heaters and the tubes and fittings so it was literally unplug from the electrics and pipe and plug the new ones in....sorted...easy!! £16 plus VAT each..BARGAIN!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
I had a similar problem. My passenger side jet went weak then stopped working all together. I noticed the drivers lost pressure too, rear and head lamp washers working as should. Read all the stuff about the blocked pump filter, but before i popped the wheel arch lining off i decided to check the piping to the jet. Taking off the bonnet lining noticed the pipe had popped off the passenger jet. Looks like a push in fitment, anyway long story short pushed it back in and happy days, all working and spraying as should.
So my advise to anyone would be just double check those connections. They may look like ok, but check they haven't pushed out a little as i'm guessing mine popped out in stages.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts