Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

Heated Front Windscreen issues

12K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  darthmuppet 
#1 ·
Hi. I own a Kuga Titanium TDCI 4x4 Auto. The heated front windscreen has a bad distortion when turned on, plus, it also turns itself on even in the middle of what was a hot summer!! When this happens no light appears on the dash and I am unable to turn it off. I only know that it is coming on because of the bad distortion!!
To date the vehicle has been off the road at my local Ford garage for two days having software updates. These have not resolved anything. I have written to Fords head office many times now and they will not accept this as a fault saying it is 'characteristic' of the screen!! I have driven many Ford cars over the years and have been a loyal customer and have never encountered this problem in any other car - something else that Ford don't want to acknowledge. So - I would like to know if anyone else is having this problem and has Ford been involved in any discussion/resolution.

#8 ·
I have many ford cars with heated screen,never come across this problem before,,but I think there was someone else here complaining about the same problem.

Ross

#9 · (Edited)

#10 ·
(

#12 ·
Dont know why it should come on on its own, but if its distorting vision sounds like the lamination is coming apart.

#14 ·
Have a read of this. I had an idea somewhere in the back of my head that some screens can come on automatically. Looks like it can depending on the model and settings.

#17 ·
Hi, I don't know but will take a look. My vehicle was off the road for two days in the Ford garage having software updates etc. You would think that this might be something they would have looked at as I have been complaining about it for some time!! ? Thanks for your input ?

#18 ·
I remember similar posts on the TalkFord forum on Mondeo's circa 2009 -2012, but it was not universal on all models and seemed random but Ford said it was Normal. As it seem like a one off so far on the Kuga, it may be a fault or someone deciided to set the option. Is there an option available/shown via ForScan?

#19 ·
I'm going to be blonde now and say I don't understand the 'via ForScan' comment! Also, as far as Fords HQ is concerned they will not accept this or the distortion as a fault and that certainly the distortion is, as they put it, 'a characteristic of the vehicle'. However they have now asked me if I would mind taking it back again for further inspection!!

#20 ·
If there was something wrong with the outside temperature sensor and it was thinking it is colder than it is then that could bring the screen on.

#21 ·
Sorry, Forscan is a diagnostic tool that allows you to view/set how the electrical systems are set up on your particular vehicle, and aslo allows you to customise your own set up. I personally don't know sufficient about the tool but those on here more knowledgeable may be able to see if there is an option to set the auto screen. Re the post above I think it would probably use an existing temperature, but first see if the option can be set.

This distortion must be pretty drastic, but does the dealer agree that the distortion appears when the heated screen is on?

#25 ·
Thanks for the explanation, not something I could deal with, but as the vehicle will be going into the Ford Garage soon I will ask the question. One of the guys from the service dept. went out with me and was amazed at the distortion when the heated screen is on - Ford HQ don't want to know about this!!!!

#22 ·
There are a few threads on here about the problem of the distortion,,if you type in Windscreen distortion it will come up with problems with the windscree,,into the advanced search.i tried to copy the links but not sure how to do it on the iPad.

Ross

#23 ·
There are a few threads on here about the problem of the distortion,,if you type in Windscreen distortion it will come up with problems with the windscreen into the advanced search.i tried to copy the links but not sure how to do it on the iPad.

Ross

#27 ·
I’m not surprised with Ford,that they wont acknowledge a problem,I have had Fords cars since the beginning of the 80s they have always been the same,I use to work for them ,but that didn’t make any difference with the dealerships.I went to one on Monday to find out about a price to do a scrape on the my kuga,don’t worry I was told we will ring you by the end of the day about a price,,Thursday today still no call..Going to take it somewhere else now.
Ross

Reactions: Fillco
#28 ·
Not at all surprised at the lack of contact, I have had the same problem recently. However, I have to say that on the whole my Ford dealership has been brilliant with all my current dramas, just a pity they haven't been able to resolve thus far - my issue/complaint is with Ford itself. Good luck getting your scrape sorted out.

#29 ·
Ford Customer Services......don’t get me started on them, complete waste of space !!!!

#30 ·
Well Ford did eventually ring me this afternoon,sorry Didn’t ring when said lost my number but found it in their system,Cost £120.00 with VAT,was cheaper than a independent garage who wanted £400 plus vat.who I went to this morning.

Ross

#32 ·
So its fixed? What years your Kuga?

#34 ·
Fixed under warranty as it was a manufacturing fault?

#36 ·
Sorry I did, when you mentioned some costs I thought you'd paid for the repair/replacement but it was the quote from Ross.

Unless you already have done and while nobody else seems to have this problem, what do the replacement windscreen people say to the phenomenon?

#38 ·
It would appear, looking at the forums, that there are one or two folk with this same problem. I haven't been to a replacement windscreen company yet as I don't actually intend to pay to have it replaced [which is what Ford are saying] but I may take it in for them to look at!! I am considering asking the AA to have a look at it for me under the heading of it being dangerous to drive!!!
Watch this space!!

#37 ·
Yes it was the quote I had for the scrape on my kuga,booked in next Wednesday.Forms to fill in to claim my money back.

Ross

#39 ·
Yes well the windscreen company should be able to comment whether its acceptable or abnormal. Then Ford have the apparent random operation of the screen to address, unless they are going to eventually say, it too is normal. Good luck.

#45 ·
Could be, as in getting our eyes to focus better so we can see where we are going. Our first ford with a heated front screen was a fiesta Mk6 diesel. It did a crazy 60mpg. At first I found I sometimes focused on the tiny element in the glass which was annoying. Don't think I could see them now without reading glasses.

#46 ·
I had one of the first Ford heated screens in I think 1991 and for the first couple of trips out found it really irritating and intrusive, but within a few days had stopped noticing it. Since then I have had several Fords with heated screens and am not even aware of the tiny filaments unless I consciously focus on them. They are so good at clearing the screen I would not be without one nowadays.

#47 ·
They were on the Ford Orion Ghia well before that. A mate of mine had an 86 model which he bought brand new and I remember thinking what a cool feature. Or hot feature depending on how you look at it.

#48 ·
My wife gave me the same story as you recounted, and I was a but dubious to be honest, but yesterday she showed me it happening, and you could simulate it just by turning on the windscreen. If it's on, and the LED on the button is off, I found I could make it go away just by turning it on and off again. it seemed to come on when the engine started, and go off after a short period of time. It was +5C on Wednesday, and it came on every time we set off, today it's +8C and it's not come on at all. Rear one comes on too, again without the tell-tale on the switch showing.

The shimmering is likely due to the heating up of the PVB layer inside the glass, changing its refractive index.when you remove the heat, it takes a few moments to cool down again, hence the delay in it returning to normal. I do not have one on my car, so I have nothing to compare it with, but I think it likely it will affect all cars, not just Fords. A quick google shows Vauxhall and Jaguar owners with the same report.

The owner's manual implies that it won't be on before you start the engine ("Make sure that the engine is running before switching the heated windshield on."), but no mention of it coming on automatically. Linked to climate control maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.