Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just returned from 3 weeks touring in Cornwall, and during this time, used the beast at night for the first time,

I have noticed a **** a lot of cars coming towards me all flashing their high beams at me, to say Im blinding them, even with my lights on low beam!

I dont have xenons, just bog standard bulbs, also a few pedestrians all averted their eyes or put their hands over their faces when we passed them (are my lights too bright/miss alligned or are they not worthy of looking at my Kuga -lol! or am I hideously ugly? lol!!)

Im guessing its because the K sits higher on the road, so the light beams are higher,

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Something elseI have noticed, is that people have a real tendancy to pull out in front of me, since owning the K.

I have never had a car where this happens so much
, Im assuming they see the shape of the car and guess its an old lumbering 4x4, so they can pull out and get away with it.

Little do they know the power of the beast!

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I'm always getting flashed (sadly though only by passing cars
lol) but they soon get a shock when I flash the xenons back at them.
Given the xenons are supposed to have an auto levelling feature I suspect it's as you say the lights sitting higher up on the car although I'll be asking my dealer to have a look at the alignment when it goes in for it's check up shortly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have experinced the same.On the right of the dashboard next to the instrument brightness dial is another dial to lower the headlight beam. Since lowering that I have not had anyone flashing to indicate I am blinding them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have just started to experience the same issue. I do not have xenons and I do NOT need to lower headlight levels as I have no load in the car and its new so should be correct??? perhaps they just like us and have heard of the wave??lol....

·
Registered
266 Posts
...Just exactly the same for me too...And I also get disturbance signs from cars moving in the same direction cause I'm blinding them from behind even though I use low beam (no XENON). I use exactly the diagram described in the manual concerning loads e.t.c. to point the beam lower but no good at all. Something must be wrong here.Either the manual or the lights may need re-adjustments.
Nick

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same with me but we have the xenons! Always getting flashed but got fed up the other night and flashed them back with our highbeams and they probably got an even bigger shock. Not sure if it's the auto balance to them, or the lights being generally higher due to the vehicle and covering a full circumference than your standard narrow coverage.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi all,
as essexboy says when I first picked mine up I noticed the headlights are high so using the dial turned them right down even when unloaded, but I had forgotten about it till now.

I dont have xenons either.

Slimus.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
"Avalon" has spent last three,four weeks in hibernation mode, only driven her in dark once down a country lane in Grantham,interestingly duringthat single andvery short runin darkness I did notice that the headlights seemed to light up the oncoming trafficdown a very quiet country road quite alarmingly, as soon as I can get my daughters car and wifes car off the drive, I canset "Avalon" free again. Bob.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Bob,
I hope your not turning in to a hooplehead !!!

Usedthis several times and no one has the foggiest what I'm on about.

Slimus.

·
Registered
385 Posts
my kuga is has xenons have never been flashed at,sorry only one time by another kuga driver on kingsway,lights are self levelingso set by ford and checked on pdi

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Slimus what can I say matey thank you very much for that, only problem is that the whisper is getting louder, and louder, as more and more people want to know, what this word means just waiting to be busted. Kugace I did send a private message Re: Wink! Wink! you know what, and I got a response not allowed to accessKugace members private mail section?? Bob.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi moggith and all,We did hols in Bodmin, Cornwall last week covered 1250 miles in five days as weather was p*** poor (fog and clouds). Covered north, west and central inc Eden Project(thanks for pre booking warning as queue was massive).
We drove on various nights and no headlight flashes as my adjuster is set at level two,enjoyed the cruise control on small hills but had to revert back to manual on the suicide drops,got on average a 33MPG which is less than my average 38.5 in Essex must be the hills.

To all "KUGA " owners down Cornwell/Devon I found the drives more enjoyable than around Essex (like doing a rally drive, but boring for here indoors as she does not drive and sat nav made her redundent).

Only spotted six kuga's in five days two black's, two grey's,one fusion and a avalon. But was nice to have a break from work to drive the "KUGA" P.S she now has personalised plates so she will now stand out from the rest like the 666 plate holder.
S.BEdited by: SILVERBACK

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad you had a good time,

sorry the waether was rubbish!

glad to hear its not just me that isnt getting anywhere near Fords stated MPG!

in fact mine is the opposite form you, was getting 33mpg whist in cornwall, but only getting 28 MPG now Im home

Far from ford 46mpg claim!

·
Registered
385 Posts
went to new brighton last sunday 65mph on c control 46 mpg 4500 miles on the clock and finding better on mpg still nowhere near fords figs 34.9 mpg around town,28 -30 mpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi

I know no one has commented on this for a while... Yes oncoming vehicles flash me or at least they did until I lowered the angle of the headlamps. However, is it just me or are Kuga lights a bit crap? I was out in my wife's Touran the other night and they seemed to give a far better, more evenly balanced illumination of the road. My Kuga just has the standard lights, not the zenons btw.

Also I had to replace a bulb at the weekend. It took me and an auto electrician ages to figure out how to get the damned unit out. It does describe in the manual how to do it but it is rather fiddly process. You have to remove a retaining screw, pull the whole headlight unit out, remove the small plastic panel below the headlamp... just to change a bulb. Bonkers

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts