Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kuga 190 AWD ST Line First Edition
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2020 st line first edition 190 diesel for a few weeks now and I can't get the hands free tailgate to operate with my foot. The salesman said its not fitted but it's listed on the spec and there is instructions stuck to the boot on the inside on how to operat it via the sensor. It works with the fob button and the button below the steering wheel.

It's one of the models with the 230v outlet in the back and usb c in the front. The car was a demo model so has pretty much everything fitted to it.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator and Mr Uses Lots of Words
5,387 Posts
I've had my 2020 st line first edition 190 diesel for a few weeks now and I can't get the hands free tailgate to operate with my foot. The salesman said its not fitted but it's listed on the spec and there is instructions stuck to the boot on the inside on how to operat it via the sensor. It works with the fob button and the button below the steering wheel.

It's one of the models with the 230v outlet in the back and usb c in the front. The car was a demo model so has pretty much everything fitted to it.

Any ideas?
When you say it's on the spec are you referring to the sales brochure or have you checked on etis. If you don't have access to etis then PM me your registration number and I will check for you and send you the full build details.

·
Registered
Mk3 2020 ST Line 1st Edition MHEV with driver's assistance pack & technology pack.
15 Posts
I have a similar ST Line First Edition 2020 model (though it's the MHEV). The tailgate is operable by using your foot. I've had it working but it is a bit of a hit and miss affair! You have to pretend you're kicking a football underneath the bumper!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say it's on the spec are you referring to the sales brochure or have you checked on etis. If you don't have access to etis then PM me your registration number and I will check for you and send you the full build details.
I went on ETIS and registered, it's listed as "Power Liftgate With Hands Free" under minor features.

·
5,387 Posts
I went on ETIS and registered, it's listed as "Power Liftgate With Hands Free" under minor features.
I would take a print of that, go and show it to the salesman and ask him to explain what "hands free" means where the power liftgate is concerned.

Not sure on the mk3 but I know a couple of owners complained about the foot sensor bringing the liftgate down on your head and disconnected it. If the foot operated sensor has its own fuse then it may be worth checking that or just get Ford to fix it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies, I managed to get it to close, I'll have another fiddle in the morning after work. I had to practically boot the exhaust to get it to work though 😅. When I bought it I tried all sorts, I have since updated the sync if that would have made any difference. Car sales people are full off (insert bad word) I would have bought a new Focus ST if the salesman hadn't tried to sell me a warranty which was already included...

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,243 Posts
That has happened to myself (MK2.5) that the power tailgate has come down on my head when putting things in the boot,,as i have a kick sensor for the tailgate but its hit and miss,,feel like a fool using the foot trying to open the tailgate and don't open,so now i either use the keyfob or the button on the tailgate to open it....

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
3,456 Posts
Got sick of the tailgate closing on my head when accessing boot area, just had to put your foot beneath the bumper and the bloody thing would close, and the warning tone for what it is, is a waste of time, all sorted now though.,....the fuse is out of the control module, its no trouble just using the remote

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,243 Posts
Yes that warning tone,,first time it happened to myself I heard the warning tone I thought it was someones alarm going off in the distance that’s how bad it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I've got the hang of it now. I guess the update I did to sync when I first got the car made it work a bit better than when I first picked it up. I've noticed if it doesn't work at all the button to open the boot on the car doesn't either. A quick jostle of the key seems to fix it. It's definitely a quick kick rather than waving your foot about.

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
3,456 Posts
Cant think why you would think Sync had anything to do with it?

Reactions: davidoff

·
5,387 Posts
Cant think why you would think Sync had anything to do with it?
Yeah I was thinking that too. Sync is just a fancy name for Ford's infotainment system.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Certainly nothing to do with sync. Our Mk3 is very hit and miss with the leg swipe - the Mk2 and Mk2.5 we had worked fine.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
375 Posts
Sync...................tailgate.................mmmmmm don’t think so😉

1 - 14 of 14 Posts