Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have spent I don't know 20 -30k on your Kuga you visit your local supermarket car park and as you are getting out of your vehicle a bloke is already stood there and usually arrives "raring to go" with a bucket and carrying the dirtiest filthiest cloth and asks, car wash Sir? my response was, "no thank you I use a jet wash" and I did the carrying/waving a jet wash in my hand gesture I thought this was a reasonable response he then said I also use jet wash he dropped his bucket and dirty dish cloth and held his hand up which I took to mean hang on and he then emerged with a device which looked suspiciously like a garden insecticide pump spray in fact I have one in my shed, obviously I declined however I have seen one guy cleaning alloys and then use the same rag to clean the car it must be a professional car cleaners/detailers nightmare getting any paintwork to look even reasonably presentable. Peruse Kuga Owners Club site and some owners are fanatical clay bars etc about their Kuga's looking good and why not. Finally my question has to be . . . . Why?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Laziness and ease.

You go in to do your shopping and when you have finished your car is all shiny and 'clean'

You just don't see your old typical Sunday afternoon scene of all the neighbours out washing their cars.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I recently had the misfortune to arrive home and my Kuga was absolutely "minging" with dirt. As I was short of time I used one of these washes which I normally wouldnt touch with a barge pole. Never again, the car, which is black, looked like a mass of spiders webs when it was put into the garage under the fluorescent lights. Took me a full day with my DA polisher to sort out paintwork, thankfully car looks pristine againEdited by: phoneman

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I wouldn't let them anywhere near my car.

I use one of the 5L pump sprayers that it sounds like you're describing. It contains a prewash that removes traffic film, bugs, bird muck, etc. The trouble is the ones they use are very harsh to allow them to 'clean' quickly and strip wax and sealants.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was talking to a bodywork repairer (my wife managed to find a gatepost to scr*pe her painted bumper against) - he was saying how many people he's had enquire about having their alloys repaired/re-lacquered - and after looking in to it, the common factor was that they all went to the local supermarket to get their cars cleaned...
Apparently the stuff they squirt on the wheels is ridiculously strong and can take the lacquer coating off the alloys after only a few visits - may be only hearsay, but certainly puts me off ever trusting them to clean my car....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Gaspode said:
Apparently the stuff they squirt on the wheels is ridiculously strong and can take the lacquer coating off the alloys after only a few visits - may be only hearsay, but certainly puts me off ever trusting them to clean my car....

This is correct although some (including my local) are using environmentally friendly stuff now. I'd never let anyone else wash my car. 2 bucket or no bucket!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Gaspode said:
I was talking to a bodywork repairer (my wife managed to find a gatepost to scr*pe her painted bumper against) - he was saying how many people he's had enquire about having their alloys repaired/re-lacquered - and after looking in to it, the common factor was that they all went to the local supermarket to get their cars cleaned...
He's spot on. The wheel cleaners that they use are highly acidic to cut through brake dust as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'll have to confess I do use these 'hand' car washes when I'm desperate although the results are inverabily as described above.

I'll never forget the sound of the zip on one of their jackets scr*ping down the body work as they 'polished' my car!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I used them once but when they started to climb on my door seals and tyres to reach
the roof I stopped .The past five years or more I have been using the BP drive through with the velidiea brushes which for £6 has a under chassis was and triple wax in the shampoo. SB

·
Registered
969 Posts
SILVERBACK said:
I used them once but when they started to climb on my door seals and tyres to reach
the roof I stopped .The past five years or more I have been using the BP drive through with the velidiea brushes which for £6 has a under chassis was and triple wax in the shampoo. SB
I was sat in Tesco's car park and saw the same, door open and matey boy standing on the sill/ door seal and probably internal trim..

No thanks..

·
Registered
969 Posts
About 15 years ago a lad used to come to work now and again to clean the boss's cars.

He was over the moon with his new 12v buffer/ polisher. I watched him put it down on the floor (this was all outside), pad side down then pick it up and carry on!.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts