Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I hope I have stuck this in the right section as you can use this stuff on your Kuga. It is supposed to remove oil and grease. I would like to emphasise the words suppose and remove.

In the late 70's and early 80's I had motorbikes which you needed this stuff to remove grease thrown off by the chain in the days before a decent chain lube was brought out. To make cleaning easier back then I used gunk, jizer and when funds were really short, I used paraffin which was dirt cheap back then.

Today I bought a 1 litre tin of gunk for a degreasing project. I doubt if I will ever buy another tin of gunk again as it just didn't seem to want to dissolve the grease on my trailer coupling. For those of you who do get your hand dirty now and then I just wondered if you use a degreaser, what do you use. Looks like I am going to have to use something stronger on the trailer drawbar. There is a possibility that someone has used a type of grease they shouldn't have.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bilt hamber surfex hd cracking stuff, you can dilute to suit. Water based so safe to use in most areas

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Just used screwfix no nonsense degreaser on my garage floor prior to repainting, 5 ltr £8.99, has to be diluted very potent stuff. Got rid of old oil stains from lawnmower and can be used on engines etc, also cleaned up patches on block paving, has good reviews from other users

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yep, No Nonsense citrus degreaser here as well. Been using it on my bikes for years, 20% of the price compared to 'Muc Off' which most people buy.

Screwfix Non Nonsense products are excellent across the board.

·
Super Moderator
476 Posts
It's naive to think that the products we used in the 60's 70's and 80's would still be allowed... Paint also has been hammered by the removal of all those things that worked - mainly VOC's (volatile organic compounds) with a view to reducing harmful emissions...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Use Jizer myself,
As mentioned before some of the 'good stuff' additives from the 70's & 80 been banned,
Also the 'good' bits from original grease has been replaced by degreaser proof alternatives.
A bit like antibiotic proof bugs I suppose.

I can just remember a hand clean called 'That Stuff', (early 80's) white cream. Absolutely removes anything from skin, just one problem… withdrawn from sale... causes major skin cancer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recall that when I was a teenager my aunt used to bring home 1 litre bottles of carbon tetrachloride from the laboratory where she worked. Would strip grease off anything including I think the outer layer of ones skin! Must say we were very careful with it. Haven't had to clean heavy grease of anything recently but I still have some paraffin purchased as an emergency heating source during the power cuts of the early 70's.

My favourite degreaser for small items nowadays is isopropyl alcohol, but since Covid19 the price has gone through the roof, and with Maplin closing down I am not sure where one could buy it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers balders.

Phoneman - that's interesting on the no nonsense product. I was put off by the poor reviews so good to have a genuine positive review.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to mad skiier and Miller. Don't think I never seen "that stuff". Always used swarfega. I guess it's not just paint that has had volatile organic compounds removed. No more creosote either.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Cheers balders.

Phoneman - that's interesting on the no nonsense product. I was put off by the poor reviews so good to have a genuine positive review.
Got to admit I was sceptical at first but I thought at £8.99 for 5 litres it was worth a punt and I wasn’t disappointed. Recommended dilution rate is 5 capfuls per litre so 5 litres will last a “lifetime” and you could always increase or decrease the dilution rate if you wanted for light or stubborn degreasing and to be honest I find the screwfix “no nonsense” range good......mark-essex agrees also
PS......garage floor has come up very well😉

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Same price as the gunk I bought. Next time I need some degreaser I will try the no nonsense stuff. There are some jobs I think I will leave in the future and wish now I had bought a complete new delta hitch for my trailer. It's probably cost me £100 to fully refurb and I could have got a new one for about £200 plus all my time in stripping the old one down. It will be like a new one when it's finished.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I use a 50% mix of Traffic Film Remover and water to clean greasy parts BUT don't let it dry!.

Our old Chemistry teacher used to tell stories of how they used Trichloroethylene etc to wash their benches down back in the day.

He wasn't a well man, kept walking into the work benches and got signed off work in our 2nd year of A levels. Scary what cumulative effects can have..

·
Registered
356 Posts
Which Gunk did you use? The green one is hopeless. Unless it's changed in the last few years the red tin one is just like it's always been. Works really well but I can't stand the smell so I use Comma Hyper Clean which works really well too.

Bob

·
Registered
6,540 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which Gunk did you use? The green one is hopeless. Unless it's changed in the last few years the red tin one is just like it's always been. Works really well but I can't stand the smell so I use Comma Hyper Clean which works really well too.

Bob
It's the orange tin. Looks the same as I bought years ago. It doesn't smell as strong though but similar to what I remember. Finally got it all degreased.

If any of you have got alko hitches on your caravans I would go and check the drawtube isn't seized in the bushes. If it is then your brakes are either binding or not working at all. Common fault on some types of alko hitches where the bushes swell coupled with on mine the handbrake wasn't working either. Really poor design in my opinion but it is quite old now.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use a 50% mix of Traffic Film Remover and water to clean greasy parts BUT don't let it dry!.

Our old Chemistry teacher used to tell stories of how they used Trichloroethylene etc to wash their benches down back in the day.

He wasn't a well man, kept walking into the work benches and got signed off work in our 2nd year of A levels. Scary what cumulative effects can have..
I have some MEK in the garage. Methyl Ethyl Ketone but the data sheet puts me off using it lol.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Miller Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) https://cpc.farnell.com/c/tools-maintenance/cleaning-chemicals/workshop-cleaning-degreasers/isopropyl-alcohol-ipa?searchref=searchlookahead
The above will seel to public.
Or RS Isopropyl Alcohol | RS Components

Carbon Tet was good for clearing restricted hoses (slightly blocked). A bit of Carbon Tet and then some boiling water in the hose, then run out of the way. You might have to have a couple of goes if your nerves could take it, but it did work.
I think I will give it a miss unless it keeps covid19 away.

·
Registered
594 Posts
On that point..

Nail polish remover... wipe it all over the ends of you fingers

Buy a 1ltr tub of the same stuff from a industrial supplier, the Data sheet says. wear gloves, harmful to skin, use a mask in well ventilated areas.. I goes on the list other risks...

·
Super Moderator
476 Posts
On that point..

Nail polish remover... wipe it all over the ends of you fingers

Buy a 1ltr tub of the same stuff from a industrial supplier, the Data sheet says. wear gloves, harmful to skin, use a mask in well ventilated areas.. I goes on the list other risks...
Nail polish remover is no longer acetone, and in any case it had additional stuff added to it to prevent too much oil being removed from the skin...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts