Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I'm going to buy a new Kuga this week and would like some advice please.

I'm going to get a Titanium TDCi spec and wondered if there is much difference between the 4WD and 2WD models. I've finally found a 4WD model to test (at Coalville Ford after not being able to test one anywhere else), but can't find a 2WD version anywhere.

Also are there any extra's that people would recommend to get onto the Titanium? Wont be able to afford much extra though.

Also""¦""¦ What would be a good price for a TDCi Titanium 2WD and 4WD?

And a final also""¦""¦. Are there any ""˜better' dealers for discounts in the <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Midlands</st1:place>?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers, Jonathan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi and Welcome,

Try DrivetheDeal.com as a bargaining tool. If you dont know, it is basically a broker that will find you the best price at a main ford dealer in the UK. I did this with my local dealer, showed them the best priceI could get in the UK and told them if they wanted a deal that dayto match or beat it. I tried it with all my local(ish) dealers and got a good deal in the end.

As for the 2wd / 4wd debate,I have a 2wd due to the fact that a) I dont go off road and b) I test drove both and didnt find much difference between the two as the AWD is 2wd most of the time due to the Haldex system. Therefore if cost is an issue and you not taking it off road the 2wd will probably make a lot more sense.

HTH.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for your replies.

I will be going slightly off road due to towing a caravan (sorry!) and driving to service parks (with the caravan). Some of these are hard standings with a lot of pot holes and some are grass / dirt. Looks like the 4WD version is the one for me then. I've just survived in mt Octavia due to it being lighter and using a tent but now want something a bit more practical so a caravan and higher car it is.

Just thought I'd let you know about the other cars I've tried / looked at, all Diesel with roughly the same spec. I do about 20k miles per year to and from work and then towing on top of that at the weekends.
Honda CR-V - Cracking engine and lovely car but bit plasticy and might be a bit big for my currect needs (= carrying more weight around all the time = less mpg when pushed). Also about £2-3k more than the Kuga.
Volkswagen Tiguan - The best drive I think, but I did feel a bit of an old man (sorry to any old men out there). The Kuga looks and feels a bit more sporty / young (I'm only 28, not 58 after all!!
Mitsubishi Outlander - Again nice engine (Uses the VW one) but very plasticy in side. This was the biggest feeling car I think.
Skoda Octavia Scout - 4X4 version of my current car but I have the VRS at the min and again, seemed like you should also have a bus pass with one of these!!!!! Very nice though.
Land Rover Freelander - Looks amazing I'd I'd love one but lower mpg (late 30's) and weighs a fair bit. Also pushes the combined MAN over 3.5T which means I need to upgrade my driving licence to include E (Silly post 1997 rule).
Vauxhall Antara - Plasticy, feels cheap but is as cheap as chips! About £14k for a very good spec, but not for me!!!

Just been looking around the site and found out that Ashby has a Ford garage (Archers of Ashby). I'm only 10 minutes away from there so will pop down today armed with my DTD prices. I've used this tactic in the past on other new cars I've bought and managed to get them matched.

So although the Kuga is not the best in a lot of my categories I feel it's the best all rounder, value for money (DTD prices) and looks the youngest / sportiest!!!

Many thanks for you help / info.

Cheers,

Jonathan
Edited by: jsstevo

·
Registered
84 Posts
I test drove at archers and on the internet their prices weregood but i found other dealers were willing to drop further while archers would not and so they were "overtaken". Also may just be me , i know people complain about a "hard" sell but i popped into Archers a few times and they didnt show much interest - perhaps that is just the polite way now but i kinda wanted someone to try to persuade me a bit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi everybody I am new to this site today. A new convert. I said I would never ever buy a ford. I was all set to buy a Qashqai until my wife and I had a go in a Kuga. We were imprssed and the garage made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I ordered a Titanium AWDin avalon with most of the extras. Just waiting for a delivery date.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I kind of feel that if it was designed to be an AWD then it should be an AWD, its part of the package. I'm being a total hypocrite as I will probably never off road properly with it but I know I have the option if I want to. I guess because it is such a brill car, Ford want to sell it in as many versions possible but if you want a 2WD why not save money and buy a top spec C-Max or Focus? Sorry Guys, I hope I haven't opened a can of worms?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Leicester Mike said:
Hi everybody I am new to this site today. A new convert. I said I would never ever buy a ford. I was all set to buy a Qashqai until my wife and I had a go in a Kuga. We were imprssed and the garage made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I ordered a Titanium AWDin avalon with most of the extras. Just waiting for a delivery date.

Hey i must have a double, im also like and from leicester - small world. Got my zetec from sheffield - where is yours coming from? (Apologies for being off topic).

·
Registered
84 Posts
mikew said:
Leicester Mike said:

Hey i must have a double, im also like and from leicester - small world. Got my zetec from sheffield - where is yours coming from? (Apologies for being off topic).

i mean Mike not like!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hello to all. I used Archers price todeal locally in Essex. Rates Ford in Grays very good. 2wd black titanium and appearance and bluetooth £17k. found rates ford helpful in assisting transfering my cherished plate too. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
forgot to say... dont compare a cmax to a kuga. kuga is a thing of beauty.
have owned cmaxs for years and kuga drive is in a different league. if you deal carefully a 2wd is similarly priced to a cmax. although mechanically identical the kuga is a much nicer drive, and you get looked at too!!!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Fair point BruceKuga. I traded in a CMax Ghia with all the trimmings and you are right, the Kuga drive is quite different, its just that I feel a Kuga should be AWD, thats why I changed from the CMax ( which I really liked) to get the 4X4 version.

AND I like being looked at too!!!!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi

I had a C-Max before but I wouldn't go back to one now. I have a 2WD Kuga and I absolutely love it.

The AWD against the 2WD debate I think you've got to think about how you will use the car, obviously if you are going to be towing and going off road then definitely AWD but, if like me you like the higher driving position, the space and don't intend to go off road, going up and down the pavement is my version of going off road, the cheaper running costs too, then you have a tough decision to make!!! Whatever you decide and Im sure everyone agrees with me, is that you will end up with a brilliant car AWD or 2WD. Enjoy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all, just a quick update for you.

Going for the AWD Titanium

Struggling for stock in Vision Blue. Got a great guy looking around for me at the minute, but might have to take 19" Alloys or X Pack to actually get a car.

There's lots of stock in other colours (so I keep being told!!!).

JS

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi all,

Just placed my order.

I've gone for Titanium AWD, Sea Grey, Appearance Pack, Convenience Pack and 19" Alloys. Nothing available in Vision so thought about going for Black but then spotted one in Sea Grey. Looks very smart. Need to get a towbar fitted myself and no Bluetooth option.

Hope to get it this/next week.

Cheers!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are great deals out there at the moment, Ford are giving dealers RED TOP offers (in affect, paying them to get rid of old stock)
I spent 4 hrs on the net and on the phone to dealers across the uk and you can find some deals better than Drivedeal

Titanium/Metalic/Xpack/appearance pack/parking sensors/diamond brite/Kuga Scuff plates/

Found one of these for 19k

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a call from Ford today. They've sold my Kuga to someone else and therefore refunded my deposit. WHAT? The cars they can offer me have no extras and are only just cheaper as they have less bonus' attached to them.

Ever since I've started looking for a Kuga I've had nothing but problems dealing with the Ford staff and am so annoyed now. The reason I persisted was that the Kuga was my first choice but am now so annoyed with Ford that I think I'm going to buy something else. I'm thinking if this is how they treat new customers, how am I going to be treated as an owner?

Not happy at all!!!
Edited by: jsstevo

·
Registered
173 Posts
jsstevo said:
I had a call from Ford today. They've sold my Kuga to someone else and therefore refunded my deposit. WHAT? The cars they can offer me have no extras and are only just cheaper as they have less bonus' attached to them.

Not happy at all!!!

I'm not suprised you are hacked off,i would be too. I was talking with a colleague yesterday about exactly the same thing because he was telling me about his neighbour who had ordered a new Vauxhall insignia last week only to get a phone call two days later to say that they had sold it to someone else!! So don't be too upset about it as it's obvious they ALL seem to be at it.

Bloody cheek if you ask me.

Don't give up as there are plenty of good deals out there and many dealerships who will be more than happy to take your hard earned cash off you.

G.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi, just got in from Tamworth!

I'd decided last night to walk away from Ford and start looking around again if nothing 'special' came up today.

Well 09:05 this morning I got a call from Heartlands of Tamworth to say they had an AWDTitanium X inVision available if I could agree a deal and get down there by 14:00. Managed to sort everything out by 13:15 and then sprinted (doing 70mhp!!) to Tamworth. Filled in all paperwork and now done. I should pick it up on Thu night after the towbar has been fitted.

The guys there were great, and not just because they wanted a sale on the 31st March!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts