Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I too am close to tyres.
for the first time ever last year, Idid a front to back change so they’d all wear together.
So when the time comes it’ll be 4 for me. So not much change out of £500.
wife’s already bent my ear over the pending £600 service due in 6k.
Who knows might even get shut.
bloody cars empty the bank quicker than my daughter

·
Registered
136 Posts
Like most cars they are a big money pit. I do regret not buying a new Focus RS (not the ideal family run around car) though as after 5 or 6 years they would be worth almost the same money - the only car I know that doesn't really depreciate (if well looked after!) That's why I plucked for the 1.5 ecoboost manual as it was much cheaper initially than the AWD Auto Diesel, less to go wrong hopefully and lower costs. The Bluefin has provided a much needed power and torque boost too and now around town and on short trips I manage 30+ mpg. - not too shabby and still only done 2500 miles in so this figure should increase over time. This equates to around 350 miles per tank around town and I do give it the occasional blast too - who wouldn't once Bluefin'd!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Q1: has anyone noticed any difference in mpg due to a change of tyres? Or are the fuel efficiency scale of new tyres a lot of Horlicks in the real world of motoring?

Unless you do exactly the same trip time & time again.

Or is it quality vs fuel vs life of the tyre.

My set was about £600, but I think heading for a 30k + mile life ( subject to, touch wood, one getting written off due damage puncture etc)
mpg wise I do everything, towing, a roads m'ways, a bit of off road, still averages 42. happy with that.
(I am sure the recent drivetrain oil change has upped it a bit)
As for emptying your bank faster than your daughter... My mate calls it EMILY tax! faster than HMRC

So Psshaw you have <insert daughters name> tax!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I heard someone say on here before that "The Kuga had as much wind resistance as a house brick" sounds about right really hehe.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I too am close to tyres.
for the first time ever last year, Idid a front to back change so they’d all wear together.
So when the time comes it’ll be 4 for me. So not much change out of £500.
wife’s already bent my ear over the pending £600 service due in 6k.
Who knows might even get shut.
bloody cars empty the bank quicker than my daughter
Where do they get a £600 service cost from. You due a gearbox oil change already.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
£600 quote for two year service or 32000 mikes which has the powershift gearbox included.
I have shopped around and got a little off, maybe £50 or so.
In 26k at mo but being retired is not saving miles!

·
Registered
840 Posts
£600 quote for two year service or 32000 mikes which has the powershift gearbox included.
I have shopped around and got a little off, maybe £50 or so.
In 26k at mo but being retired is not saving miles!
Have you thought about getting a job lol. No wonder we call dealers, stealers. Have you thought about getting separate prices for the service and the auto oil change. At 2 years old they still won't be doing much apart from changing the engine oil which is only an hours job, maybe an hour and a half, yet they want to charge you £300 working in the assumption that it's £300 for the gearbox oil.

I have just been quoted £147 for a value service which includes oil and filter and check. The car will be mot'd at same time so one could say that on the 9th march my car has been thoroughly checked and has new fluid helping the moving metal bits from welding themselves together. It's being done at my local Mitsubishi agent. They are a decent garage and it's where I bought the car from.

·
Registered
17 Posts
read with interest , im buying a mk2 kuga auto 2ltre ,had a c class auto merc , advanced driver and know the differance from a heavy to a light foot , i would say being seated higher up gives you more advance hazard warning in front of you so you can make that desition quicker so coming of the load pedal. and brake earlier or auto coast ie saving fuel , theres a lot of coasting with an auto at 60 you can come of the gas and in 600 yards come down to 30 or slower to a roundabout ive done it so i know . saving fuel. your foot doesnt allways have to be on the gas , but when you are doing your advance driver course they say if your foots not on the gas your not in control of the vehicle.

·
Registered
840 Posts
read with interest , im buying a mk2 kuga auto 2ltre ,had a c class auto merc , advanced driver and know the differance from a heavy to a light foot , i would say being seated higher up gives you more advance hazard warning in front of you so you can make that desition quicker so coming of the load pedal. and brake earlier or auto coast ie saving fuel , theres a lot of coasting with an auto at 60 you can come of the gas and in 600 yards come down to 30 or slower to a roundabout ive done it so i know . saving fuel. your foot doesnt allways have to be on the gas , but when you are doing your advance driver course they say if your foots not on the gas your not in control of the vehicle.
What year Kuga are you thinking of buying.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I’ve never heard that quote about the gas pedal.
Never, never had that said on any of my police advanced driving courses or refreshers.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I’ve never heard that quote about the gas pedal.
Never, never had that said on any of my police advanced driving courses or refreshers.
I have heard that before but not in donkeys. We back to horses again lol. I think it's an old wives tale personally and was relative to coasting around corners instead of driving around them. It doesn't work with motorbikes all of the time unless you are a speedway rider.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Nope, no mention of horses.

Ok, coasting around a corner shouldn’t be done but it also can be. It’s better to drive out of the corner as it make the tyres grip and tightens everything up. But let’s not confuse “Driving “ as in lots of gas when we can “feather” the gas in.

Look, I’m old school, plod trained and whilst I take everything on board, some “old school” stuff is proven and just better than the modern stuff. I understand that you have to move with the times and the older lags amongst us know the gas pedal isn’t either “on” or “off” as in off or buried in the carpet.

Again, it’s all down to driving skills and until you are given a different insight some things will never change.

“Coasting” as in no drive, was a big slap in the old days. The VW Tiguan I had for 6 months had a “coast”facility built in to save fuel and it killed the engine as soon as you took your foot of the gas. I didn’t like it at all but if I was taking a test in such a car I think it would be best to explain it.

Lol, have I gone off topic there? Going a bit rusty as there isn’t much to write about these days as most are quite and the frequent writers seem to be hibernating.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I can remeber last year when our Kuga was in bits all over the drive for a month with terminal gearbox failure, smiling at all the MPG posts (on Facebook) and just thinking how lucky they all were to be driving at all!.

I'm a plodder, ours is stuck at 33MPG (haven't reset it for year or more). Long term MPG doesn't seem to care if we're cruising at 70mph or stop/start through town. Just happy it runs to be honest..

·
Registered
840 Posts
I can remeber last year when our Kuga was in bits all over the drive for a month with terminal gearbox failure, smiling at all the MPG posts (on Facebook) and just thinking how lucky they all were to be driving at all!.

I'm a plodder, ours is stuck at 33MPG (haven't reset it for year or more). Long term MPG doesn't seem to care if we're cruising at 70mph or stop/start through town. Just happy it runs to be honest..
After all your problems with the gearbox I guess mpg isn't a concern and you are happy it's just doing miles and using gallons. I would say I am quite good at fixing cars, motorbikes and ride on lawnmowers but I don't think I would have undertaken what you did.

·
Registered
819 Posts
After all your problems with the gearbox I guess mpg isn't a concern and you are happy it's just doing miles and using gallons. I would say I am quite good at fixing cars, motorbikes and ride on lawnmowers but I don't think I would have undertaken what you did.
I didn't have any choice really, just had to get it done one way or another!. Fingers crossed it will do another 4 years then see what's available.

We keep our cars 8 to 10 years but this one has been a hard lesson learnt unfortunately.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I didn't have any choice really, just had to get it done one way or another!. Fingers crossed it will do another 4 years then see what's available.

We keep our cars 8 to 10 years but this one has been a hard lesson learnt unfortunately.
That's a long time to keep a car. It's important to buy one you like. I kept my last car 8 years. Not often you get to pick up a car that was just over 4 years old, 43k on the clock, fsh for £5k. I didn't know about dpf at that time lol but I loved that car. Cost me more than double that for the Kuga about same age. I doubt I will keep this one 8 years though but will see. Depends really what the wife wants to do as she has a 66 plate Mokka and likes to swap every 3 years but she has just gone part time so may just keep the kuga and keep updating hers until such time we can get away with one car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Having seen this thread I thought I would check fuel consumption on our weekend driving of about 200 miles, mainly A361, M5, A358,A303 then wiggly bits at each end. End result was 45.9 mpg, speed mid to high 60s

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 1,5d diesel 120hp manual is pretty crap on mpg, is showing 38mpg in the last 15k miles

On a similar usage, my 1.9 cdti 150 auto vectra sri is doing 44mpg, my 1.9 tdi toledo 56mpg and my mk8 fiesta ST the same 38mpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
In the month and a half I've owned the White Whale it's averaging 44.6 MPG in a mix of A road and town driving, My Quashqai .12 DIG-T managed 28 MPG on the same roads but then again that car struggled to get up some of the hills round Cumbria.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts