Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having bought my PHEV in June 21 and driven 4k miles I had to take it back to the dealer as there was a load knocking noise coming from what I thought to be the engine. They told me it was in fact coming from the gearbox which would have to be replaced. And there it has now sat since 07/10 waiting for the new gearbox to be delivered! On top of that the aircon compressor also needs replacing!! Ford Credit are refusing to let me reject the car. I cannot believe the grief I'm having with them and the dealer. Has anyone else had major mechanical issues with their PHEV?

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
794 Posts
Hi @Derek58 and welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about your issues.
Don’t think I’ve seen any other comments re the Mk3 gearbox.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,253 Posts
Hi @Derek58 and welcome to the forum.

I would suggest taking some legal advice on rejecting the car and don't just take their word for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the delay is down to there being a lack of spare gearboxes as the expectation is one shouldn't need replacing so soon. What irks me the most is it's obvious Ford doesn't have a procedure to deal with a customer's wish to reject the car. I think I'm entitled to do this as I'm told it will be over nine weeks until I get my car back!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like to me you're not going through the proper channels and being confrontational about it, Ford do have a termination policy which is written on the contract you signed.
In my experience (with a different finance company), you must follow the rules of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
Section 2 Article 9 mentions that the goods provided must be of satisfactory quality and Article 10 mentions that the goods must be fit for purpose.
From what you are saying, this issue is in contravention of both articles. However, Ford aren't going to automatically end the agreement nor are they liable to do so, until they have had the chance to rectify the issue. (If that was the case, everyone would be cancelling their agreements over the smallest of things)
You haven't even given Ford a chance to fix the issue the first time round and you're demanding cancellation, no no no, that's not how it's done.

In basic terms, you have to give Ford three chances to fix the issue. Should it repeat for a second and third time and Ford cannot fix it permanently after the third repair, you would be entitled to a couple of options.

1) The termination of the agreement without penalty
2) A replacement of the vehicle

Make notes of EVERYTHING, calls, emails etc. Get names of the people you speak too, even the receptionist (yes, silly I know), Because if all else fails, you will need to contact the Financial Ombudsman. You will also need a final decision letter from Ford (I.e. whether they will cancel the agreement or not), before proceeding to the Ombudsman as they will consider the matter unresolved between yourself and Ford.
Give them a chance to rectify the issue first, then debate the cancellation of the agreement if it's not permanently resolved or a satisfactory outcome is not reached. then escalate it to the Financial Ombudsman. Believe me, no finance company wants the Ombudsman sniffing around.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
794 Posts
Sounds like to me you're not going through the proper channels and being confrontational about it, Ford do have a termination policy which is written on the contract you signed.
In my experience (with a different finance company), you must follow the rules of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
Section 2 Article 9 mentions that the goods provided must be of satisfactory quality and Article 10 mentions that the goods must be fit for purpose.
From what you are saying, this issue is in contravention of both articles. However, Ford aren't going to automatically end the agreement nor are they liable to do so, until they have had the chance to rectify the issue. (If that was the case, everyone would be cancelling their agreements over the smallest of things)
You haven't even given Ford a chance to fix the issue the first time round and you're demanding cancellation, no no no, that's not how it's done.

In basic terms, you have to give Ford three chances to fix the issue. Should it repeat for a second and third time and Ford cannot fix it permanently after the third repair, you would be entitled to a couple of options.

1) The termination of the agreement without penalty
2) A replacement of the vehicle

Make notes of EVERYTHING, calls, emails etc. Get names of the people you speak too, even the receptionist (yes, silly I know), Because if all else fails, you will need to contact the Financial Ombudsman. You will also need a final decision letter from Ford (I.e. whether they will cancel the agreement or not), before proceeding to the Ombudsman as they will consider the matter unresolved between yourself and Ford.
Give them a chance to rectify the issue first, then debate the cancellation of the agreement if it's not permanently resolved or a satisfactory outcome is not reached. then escalate it to the Financial Ombudsman. Believe me, no finance company wants the Ombudsman sniffing around.
Good advice that, let’s hope he gets things sorted 👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your comment about me being confrontational did make me chuckle (sarcasm btw!). Today I was told by the dealership the gearbox won't now be delivered until the w/c 20/12. I was originally told it would be delivered during the first week of November then the second then the third and then the fourth! As they've had the car since 07/10 and at best the car won't be repaired until the new year I think I'm fully entitled to be annoyed! Also I'm not sure where you get the three opportunities for Ford to repair the car from as Section 24 article 5 a specifically states the car can be rejected after one failed repair! Section 23 article 2 a also states the repair should be completed in a reasonable time. I would challenge anyone who thinks 12+ weeks is a reasonable time!!

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,263 Posts
I think the “three”attempts to repair is in legislation under the consumer rights act.
I’ll have a look for it although it’s already been written.

BTW, knowing how my hidden nasty Mr Hyde is, he’d have probably been ranting and raving within the dealership. It doesn’t speed things up and make the BP blow a valve but it makes you get of the chest.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,263 Posts
Part copy and paste from “what car” legal dept.

What are my rights after 30 days?
If a problem is found after 30 days, but within six months of purchase, you can request a repair or a replacement vehicle. The onus is on the seller of the car to prove the fault wasn’t present when it was sold; if they can, and you’re likely to have known about it, you won’t get a refund.
When it comes to repairs, the dealer has one chance to fix the fault. If the fix doesn’t work, you are entitled to a refund. You won’t get the full purchase price back, though. Any usage of the car will be taken into account and the refund will be adjusted accordingly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

If a problem is found after 30 days, but within six months of purchase, you can request a repair or a replacement vehicle. The onus is on the seller of the car to prove the fault wasn’t present when it was sold; if they can, and you’re likely to have known about it, you won’t get a refund.
When it comes to repairs, the dealer has one chance to fix the fault. If the fix doesn’t work, you are entitled to a refund. You won’t get the full purchase price back, though. Any usage of the car will be taken into account and the refund will be adjusted accordingly.

It's comforting to see I've the same interpretation of the CRA as What Car's legal dept! Yesterday the dealership called me to say the gearbox won't now be delivered until the w/c 20/12. This is the fifth delay but on the plus side to me it only strengthens my case to reject the car or cancel the finance agreement. Lol no need to be confrontational when I have the law on my side! I'm waiting for Ford Credit to call me today so I'll see what pans out from that.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,263 Posts
I know a warranty is there for a reason. That’s how it was once said to me but it still annoyed me.

People buy new cars, as they want it in an unmolested way. A gearbox is a big thing to go wrong and to wait so long in very frustrating. You haven’t mentioned a like for like courtesy car, so do you have one?
No matter how good a job they do, you will be listening for little rattle and fault.
Do you subscribe to any kind of work or home insurance where you can have a 30 min free call from a solicitor? I know Ford are a big company but just that word might have the affect of an exchange/replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know a warranty is there for a reason. That’s how it was once said to me but it still annoyed me.

People buy new cars, as they want it in an unmolested way. A gearbox is a big thing to go wrong and to wait so long in very frustrating. You haven’t mentioned a like for like courtesy car, so do you have one?
No matter how good a job they do, you will be listening for little rattle and fault.
Do you subscribe to any kind of work or home insurance where you can have a 30 min free call from a solicitor? I know Ford are a big company but just that word might have the affect of an exchange/replacement.
The fact the engine has to be taken out is one of the points I've made to reject the car as to me that will compromise the factory build. What I find surprising is when it comes to a lemon car it's obvious Ford doesn't have a set criteria to make the decision more scientific to avoid me having to use the CRA. For instance to me that at best it'll be 12+ weeks before the gearbox is replaced is not a reasonable time as is defined in the Act. In the meantime the dealership is having to pay the cost of a Nissan Qashqai hire car plus I'm forking out on using a lot more petrol than I would've used in my PHEV!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think the delay is down to there being a lack of spare gearboxes as the expectation is one shouldn't need replacing so soon. What irks me the most is it's obvious Ford doesn't have a procedure to deal with a customer's wish to reject the car. I think I'm entitled to do this as I'm told it will be over nine weeks until I get my car back!
Have you been given a decent loan car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I've been given a Nissan Qashqai from Enterprise. It's not a PHEV or hybrid so I'm spending a fortune in petrol. I was getting around 100 mpg in my car so intend to claim the extra cost from Ford!
It's a 21 plate auto. I've just been onto the Enterprise site and see @ £467 pw so far it's cost Ford over £3,250 in rental charges. Even if the gearbox is delivered the w/c 20/12 (not holding my breath it will be!) the hire charges will be more than £5,600. Comes back to what I said in a previous thread that Ford should have a set of reject car rules!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I originally ordered a QQ Tekna 158 BHP the same as the one have but manual but Nissan let me down big time so I cancelled and ordered a phev hopefully to arrive in march

·
Registered
137 Posts
Would it be an option to have your QQ swapped out for and Electric alternative ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts