Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone find changing down from 2nd to 1st gear really really stiff? Ive tried 'pumping' the clutch but it doesn't make any difference, it's also really difficult putting the car into reverse too. I don't like forcing the car into gear but sometimes thats the only way to get in gear!

·
Registered
287 Posts
mine is a bit 'clunky' andyou have to make sure the gear lever is pushed to far left when you try and select a gear. also first and reverse must not be selected when vehicle is 'moving' as the transmission isnt too happy about such things ( it is after all meant to be stationary when selecting) . I wonder if you have a gearbox selector misaligment as it is very unlikely to have two synchomesh issues at same time.
my old Mini was a bugger to get into first but I simply put it back into nuetral when it would not go into gear and let clutch up, then press pedal down and it always slipped in neatly second time ( mesh issue). If its still under warranty have them check it out for you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
yes mine's a bit cluncky too. It's not difficult to engage 1st and 2nd just not very smooth. I raised it with the dealer and actually tried a brand new Kuga awaiting delivery which was even worse. I put it down tojust an reflection of Ford build quality rather than a fault.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for all the replies. Maybe I'm being a little hard on my Kuga she's not that old so maybe things still need to loosen up a bit! Obviously I'm stationary when trying to engage reverse, she's only the 2nd car to have the lift up collar on the reverse gear but it is difficult, however there is no grinding or crunching so that's a good sign I suppose. All the other gears are really smooth so maybe it's just me, but if after another month or so and I'm still struggling then it's going to have to be a visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My gearbox is like butter, I have a dodgy left leg but manage no problem with the clutch and gearbox. Reverse is also a sinch.A lot better than the 07 3 series I've just parted with, reverse is a nigthmare on the beemers! Edited by: Gazza

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone. Ive just found this site and its already answered some of my questions. I picked up a brand new titanium in March 09 and love it to bits. I do have a couple of problems with it though and thought it was just me till i read this site.

I too have problems with 1st and 2nd gear. My husband struggles with it too. I was going to take it back toford, but it looks as if alot of us have the same trouble. It really struggles to go from 1st to 2nd and you have to crunch it in. also have trouble changing back down to 1st as well.

i have also had trouble getting reverse. not every time but sometimes i have had to release the clutch and try again.

also just read about some of you getting recalls for the brakes. not had one yet. going to ring ford tomorrow. will let you know how i get on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The gear change should be smooth; it is one of Ford's strong points.
Get the dealer to have a look at it.
I had a Land Rover Defender many years ago. The gear change was very 'notchy', which I thought was normal. While on holiday I had to visit a Land Rover dealer for some other problem. They sorted the problem, and said 'by the way, we've reset your gearchange; you should find it much soother now'.....and it was!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I find the gears can be "sticky" going in lower gears, reverse probsbly the most, I guess its still new, only just cleared 1000 miles
Edited by: the undertaker

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Kuga has covered 1500 miles and is 3 months old and I'm still having problems with the gears, 1st to 2ndare getting a little easier but reverse is a nightmare. I find it quite painful to select it because of the collar around the lever and have to use both hands!!When I get home I always reverse on to the drive and at times I have cars sitting behind me waiting while I try to select reverse which is embarassing to say the least!!
She is going in for her courtesy check and software glitch next week so will get them to have a look. Hopefully it won't be anything too serious. Apart from this I love my Kuga too bits.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My focus wrs was like that from 2nd to first ,put in lighter fluid and problem solved ,but no problem with the kug very easy gears one of the things I loved about it. Reverse is really easy, sorry your having probs with yours Kugacat, hope thigs come good for you

Reagards G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts