Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone had my lovely kuga for 2 years now from my main dealer. Within first year the gear change got terrible the clutch started creaking so went back and luckily got a brand new clutch fitted from ford. The year change has still not been great but it's getting worse again. First to second is aweful and doesn't always go into gear but you can actually hear the clunk coming through the gear stick. But it's only first to second all other changes are fine. I find double clutching helps but has anyone got any advise it is literally the worst gear change I have ever experienced and coming from a focus which was sublime it's very disappointing but if it's normal then it's normal. Thanks for anyone's help in this matter

·
Registered
358 Posts
It's undoubtedly a fault, my Kuga has as slick a gear change as my Mk3.5 Focus.

PS, if it was new at purchase, it's still under warranty

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No unfortunately mate it's not under warranty anymore it only came with a year one !!! Any ideas mate or anyone on what it could be like i say second gear is the only problem

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is dragging and not fully disengaging.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great mate what does this mean ? Double clutching seams to help and better year change at 3k but don't see why I should rag it on the revs to get a better gear change cheers thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi if you could put details of your kuga in your signature it would help other forum users when you need help or advice.year,engine,trim etc.

Ross

·
Registered
819 Posts
The gearbox on my Kuga isn't one of the best tbh and certainly not as slick as our fiestas. There seems to be a big jump between first and second. Mine is sometimes really stiff going into third from second. Rest of the gears are fine but certainly not up there with the best.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm with smartguy69, hoping a gearbox oil change soon (@42k) will improve things.
It seems to be a gearbox that you have to place in gear, not ram it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for your input. How much would I be looking at for a gearbox oil change mine is manual it's 5 years old on nearly 60k and never had one !!!! Arrgggghhhh

·
Registered
819 Posts
The service oil warning has just popped on mine exactly one year from when it was done last. Car has only done maybe 6k so looks like it logs a time as well as mileage in the ECU.

I will ask how much extra for gearbox oil change.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Gearbox (manual) oil change not hard to do.
see post #41 take the nearside wheel off, & probably the undertray to gain access.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Incredible thanks so much mate....I probably be too scared to do it myself but should it be a non expensive job from a local garage cheers thanks

·
Registered
819 Posts
Gearbox (manual) oil change not hard to do.
see post #41 take the nearside wheel off, & probably the undertray to gain access.

I know I thought about it but it's only 6 degrees at present and have spent years crawling under cars and maybe the time has come to keep my hand clean. Saying that I did replace my rear pads a week ago but think I should have really replaced discs as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks mate what do you think would be an acceptable price for a local garage to do it for me I have not asked them but if they come back with something stupid I can look elsewhere I understand they would have a proper machine to extract the old oil easily

·
Registered
819 Posts
I will tell you tomorrow when I ring the garage. I would have thought an hours labour, no more than an hour and a half plus oil. I will be ringing a main dealer but it's not a ford dealership. Known them for years and bought loads of cars from them including my Kuga.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you take it in to a garage to have the gearbox oil changed, ask them to look at the poor gear change you have.
They may find the problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will tell you tomorrow when I ring the garage. I would have thought an hours labour, no more than an hour and a half plus oil. I will be ringing a main dealer but it's not a ford dealership. Known them for years and bought loads of cars from them including my Kuga.

That's very kind of you mate thank you

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just called perrys in chesterfield and they said there is no confirmed service schedule for the manual gearboxes...she said they should last the lifetime of the car. The autos are different and it costs 280 inc vat for a change on them...Jesus!!! Should I though look at getting this changed or not or is she talking nonsense thank you....she said is would 115.82 to look at it then cost of parts on top

1 - 20 of 21 Posts