Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - Just registered with this site, it's good to see that so many of you are already helping others with issues as they happen. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

My question is regarding gear changes. I have had many cars over the years and none as good as my new Kuga (Zetec, Sea grey with appearance pack), however I have great troubles when selecting 2nd gear and sometimes 1st? It seems that the gate has more travel thennecessary when forced over to the left and you cannot find second easily?

Anyone else had this issue or any advice if this needs to go back without looking like a fool? As I've said I have had loads of cars and this is the first time I've encountered something like this. Maybe it's because it's new and the box needs to wear in a bit. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi there, good to have another new forum contributor!

Maybe I'm being lucky, but I can honestly say my car is not giving me any cause to complain about the way it's put together. I haven't noticed a gear selection problem so unless you hear anything else here, I would keep it as a possible issue that needs to be looked at by your dealer. Maybe the linkage/cables need a slight tweak?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,
Did find the gear change on ours a bit 'difficult' at first- particularly getting first; I occasional found I'd got third by mistake (not a good idea!). However, after a few outings and a few miles under the belt, I'm completely happy with it. My previous car was a Fiesta 1.6 TDCi and the gear change on that was a dream. The Kuga does just take a bit of adjusting to, but now I'm very happy with it. A fantastic vehicle.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I thought when I first drove the Kuga that the whole gear stick alignment was wrong and needed rotating a bit. I think, as long as ur gentle and dont force the issue, you soon get used to it tho?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi yes i agree with you i think the gear change with first and second is rather dodgey at times, as stated you do get used to it. I find that when i have just started the car and begin to drive that it occurs more than when it is warm.

Apart from the gear change i think the car is great. Dont fool yourself that it is a proper 4x4 because it is not dont go in more than a few inches of mood with the road tyres cause you will get stuck just watch this video:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWdPPxd2mA

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
No, No problems with gear change to report either except because my previous car was a c-max, I keep putting the gears into 6th instead of reverse. What a wally!
Also, I keep reaching for the non existant ignition key when I want to stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, thanks for all the feedback for this enquiry.

I have spoken to Ford who obviously asked for the car to be taken in, after five minutes of explanation they very quicklyappeared to be aware of this issue and said it would take an hour or so to fix. I will keep you all informed of the outcome, or if at all anything has changed following the 'repair'(going in 14th October).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I don't mean the problem on my car specifically, I mean an issue Ford appeared to be aware of on the Kuga range. I guess I'm not the first to ask them about out of line gear levers. It feels like the gate itself (if it has such a thing under the rubber boot) is slightly out of alignment, when I said this the Ford guy suddenly seemed to start agreeing with me quoting times for it to be solved!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi trickshot74 i have had the same problems what did you say for them to take the car in cause mine is doing the same thing. thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Hi there, sorry to hear you have the same issues, it's really frustrating for a brand new car. I simply explained that I could not 'safely' (leant on that heavily) engage second gear, especially from third. Explained that it felt like the gear linkage or the gate itself had been incorrectly setup. The Kuga's well within any warranty period so you shouldn't have any problems regardless of what you say, simply that you are not happy and want it investigating! My mate also has one so I cross checked with his and it's nothing like mine, slips into all gears seamlessly. This was also used during the conversation. Good luck and let me know what they say. Ford will still be expecting this sort of thing with a new design so they need all the feedback they can get I would have thought so there's no point simply getting used to it as others seem to be trying?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think you'll find its a simple linkage problem... however the 6 speed box is a little different to the 5 speed boxpeople have mentioned within this thread... like the gears are spaced a little differently, so it will feel a bit stange!
There are no known issues (tsb's) relating to the kuga gearbox specifically -im sure your dealer was being keen to fix the problem for you in this instance and linkages wont take long to fix!

i hope it all gets sorted with minimal fuss!

·
Registered
17 Posts
JMGKUGA said:
Dont fool yourself that it is a proper 4x4 because it is not dont go in more than a few inches of mood with the road tyres cause you will get stuck just watch this video:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWdPPxd2mA[/QUOTE]

Completely disagree, I have had mine over so much rough terrain(see my thread "First off roadpics)and its never given me a problem.....

It may not have been built as the most focused off roader but I have no complaints.

Anyway that Fifth gear test was a load of rubbish, note how fast Tom Ford tries to get around that track.... off roading is supposed to be taken slow and steady not flat out.

Cheers.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I agree... the top gear test was a load of nonsense really. It's about being aware of your vehicles capabilities and of your driving skills, and not over stepping the mark. If in doubt, dont do it. The Kuga is an expensive piece of kit and much to nice a car tobe trashed around like that!

·
Registered
126 Posts
amser said:
I agree... the top gear test was a load of nonsense really. It's about being aware of your vehicles capabilities and of your driving skills, and not over stepping the mark. If in doubt, dont do it. The Kuga is an expensive piece of kit and much to nice a car tobe trashed around like that!

I thought it was Fifth Gear?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think that the video from fifth gear is not a fair judgment as it was the stupid presenters fault that it got stuck. I'm not being bias because I like and have purchased a Kuga
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Some years ago I used to do a lot of driving off road in some very harsh conditions in a Land Rover which in my opinion is the best off road 4x4 and if I had to have a car that was going need to be good off road that's what I would get. But I chose the Kuga which I consider to be a SUV/MPV and not a true 4x4. Of which I think ford only dress it up to be an SUV with some small capabilities off road and not an out and out 4x4.

I would not have even considered trying to take a Land Rover with its off road tires, low ratio gear box and differential lock straight thought the middle of the track where the mud is like he did. Anyone with half a brain would have gone a lot slower and try to keep it on the higher ridges even in a Land Rover of which I thought would have also got stuck taking the same route.

So either that presenter is really stupid or he purposely went out of his was to find a place to get the Kuga stuck so as to try and make it look like its great show ""Look at us we have just proven that SUV's/MPV's are not the best cars off road""� well then thank you for telling me something I already know.

To be honest I have never been a lover of ford cars until now as I consider this to be a great car. Those people who put down its off road capabilities all I can say that is if I wanted to be off road all the time I would bought a tank or a tractor, which I would not pick up for any where near 20k and would probably have trouble parking it at work or Tesco's. Ford have got it right on this one as they could have increased it's off road capabilities but at cost to its on road handling and abilities

It's an all round MPV that's good for most day to day things plus a bit more, like towing your boat and carrying five passengers, or taking your family camping where as your previous hatchback always used to get stuck in the mud after the slightest amount of rain. Those of us with young children will also appreciate the height when strapping the kids in the back (yes a C-Max will do the same but they look naff). Those off use with young kids will also appreciate the boot space as with only one child at the moment and with the buggy/pram in the boat of my current hatchback I always end up having to put some of the shopping on the back seat, which all ways gets attacked by the little fingers in the back and now with a second on the way there just wont be enough room for two kids and shopping on the back seat (yes an estate would do the job but I would have to break my back to strap the kids in and the estate looks even more naff that the C-max). After all this you can still go out for the night ( if you can get a baby sitter
)and when you pull up it will be in a car in a car that's got a bit class and style about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GEAR CHANGE FAULT UPDATE:-

Ford took my car in last Thursday and called me back withinthe hour. They immediately found what they described as a serious misalignment of the gear box linkage; they sorted it within about two hours and had the car back to me the same day. They were very apologetic and couldn't quite believe how bad it was, up to that point they only had my explanation of the fault to go on and I'm not sure they believed me regarding its seriousness.

Moralof the storyDO NOT try and get used to it if the gears seem a bit 'out' get it to Ford. Mine is now slick throughout all gears, one finger gear changes and a new set of mats for my troubles. Thanks to all who contributed to this forum item, saga over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts