Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I own a 62 plate manual Kuga and recently started having a gear change issue with 2nd gear.
When changing up or down to 2nd (with hand off the gear-lever after the change), the gear pops out and a grinding noise appears. A depress of the clutch and into 1st or 3rd and back to normal.

If you hold on to the gear lever (holding the gear in place), there’s no issues.

Note: it only happens with 2nd gear and it’s temperamental.

Tends to happen most going up/down hills or changing down coming up to a junction.

Took it to a dealer who couldn’t replicate the issue.

Best Regards

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Only ever had this on one car which was an old Ford Orion. When I bought it the guy told me it jumped out of reverse and told me it was the linkage. I thought yeah yeah but the car was cheap and if I had to swap the gearbox I wasn't overly concerned. I swapped the linkage and the problem was fixed. Not sure if Kuga's have a similar problem associated with the linkage although mine doesn't want to go into third sometimes. The gearbox is not as slick as the ones fitted in our 09 and 12 plate Fiesta's which is disappointing. Doesn't seem like a Ford gearbox but then it probably isn't if the engine is PSA.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a very similar problem with a mk3 Mondeo ST; it would spit the gear lever back out of third, but if you held it in it was fine. In my case, the selector forks for third needed replacing (which was a PITA to do) but a £17 part fixed the issue. I ran the car for c. 90K miles after this with no further issues.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You will get a notchy feel on a ford with six speed getrag box its awful, its the only thing I don't like about my kuga had it 9 years now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
I own a 62 plate manual Kuga and recently started having a gear change issue with 2nd gear.
When changing up or down to 2nd (with hand off the gear-lever after the change), the gear pops out and a grinding noise appears. A depress of the clutch and into 1st or 3rd and back to normal.

If you hold on to the gear lever (holding the gear in place), there’s no issues.

Note: it only happens with 2nd gear and it’s temperamental.

Tends to happen most going up/down hills or changing down coming up to a junction.

Took it to a dealer who couldn’t replicate the issue.

Best Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my 16 plate manual kuga, let me know if you find the issue and the cost please

·
Registered
104 Posts
The OP of this thread joined 11months ago and has only ever made the two posts above....chances are he aint coming back.

Others have commented on their similar issues and they are good places to start.

I had a very similar problem with a mk3 Mondeo ST; it would spit the gear lever back out of third, but if you held it in it was fine. In my case, the selector forks for third needed replacing (which was a PITA to do) but a £17 part fixed the issue. I ran the car for c. 90K miles after this with no further issues.
Only ever had this on one car which was an old Ford Orion. When I bought it the guy told me it jumped out of reverse and told me it was the linkage. I thought yeah yeah but the car was cheap and if I had to swap the gearbox I wasn't overly concerned. I swapped the linkage and the problem was fixed. Not sure if Kuga's have a similar problem associated with the linkage although mine doesn't want to go into third sometimes. The gearbox is not as slick as the ones fitted in our 09 and 12 plate Fiesta's which is disappointing. Doesn't seem like a Ford gearbox but then it probably isn't if the engine is PSA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts