Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuel leak!!!

35K views 142 replies 45 participants last post by  smartguy69 
#1 ·
Has anybody experienced any fuel leaking when filling the tank on the Kuga Titanium 2wd!!!

I tend to allow the tank to go down to quarter full then fill it up,I dont put in £10 here or there.......I dont fill it up to thetop of the neckI wait for the pump nozzle to click off then remove it, (inside the fuel flap it says 2 clicks, wait 10 secs then remove), the first time of filling it up it was noticed a puddle of diesel forming under the car, i thought it was me at first, i checked after the second time of filling up and it happened again, it has now gone back to Fords and they changed the pipes from the filler down to the tank,I got the car back on Tuesday, filled it up Wednesday morning and guess what??? you got it..... it leaked again. Fords are awating a delivery of new pipes again and are to change it again.........

I would be interested to know if anybody else has had this problem.... maybe people dont check under the car,,,,,, I would be grateful if when you fill up the tank you could have a quick check under the rear of the car to see if there are any drips or puddels forming....

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not long after I had my Kuga I noticed a petrol mark on the floor under the fuel tank. I had filled up a day or two before when the weather was dry. I noticed the fuel on the drive after it rained in the night. I kept my eye on things as I was travelling to Wales for a few days. When I got there it was still raining and the next morning noticed the 'leak' but this time much smaller. Turns out it was petrol that had spilled down the pipe just under the fill hole but didn't show until the rain washed it down onto the floor.

I didn't overfill mine either but obviously some had somehow managed to get down the drip pipe so no leak after all. I now never fill to the brim as I have always done with other cars.

Hopefully yours is the same and nothing more serious.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, I make sure I do not overfill and do not go do any more than the first click shut off. I put £35 in it a short while ago tank was almost empty (taking it to3 quarter full)and when i returned after paying there was a puddle approx. 6inches in diameter. Thanks again

#4 ·
Mine leaks every time that I fill the tank, has done for a year.
If I fill it to the brim (1st click on the pump) - it leaks

If I fill it with £10 - it leaks

The dealer has looked it it four times and when it goes back for the wheels to be changed I have insisted that they change the whole filler bit. The annoying thing is that they know it is coming from the vent pipe and they declined the offer of leaving my fuel card so they could test it which annoyed me.

Push your dealer for a fix and mention that there are others out there that do the same so it is a design problem.

Mine goes back in a week or so, will keep you updated.

I did ask if they were going to give me the money back on all the diesel that has leaked - they changed the subject...
Edited by: cornish

#6 ·
HI ,STEVE I HAD THE SAME ON THE FIST TIME I FILLED IT AS I ALWAYS WAIT FOR SECOND CLICK,LOOKED DOWN AND SAW ABOUT A FOOT DIA OF FUEL ON FLOOR.

SO I ALSO ONLY GO AS FAR AS FIRST CLICK ,HAVE ALSO NOTICED THAT SOMETIMES THERE IS STILL FUEL LEFT IN PUMP HOSE AND RUNS OUT AS YOU PULL AWAY FROM TANK AND IT HAS GONE DOWN A SMALL HOLE JUST BELOW THE FILLER .
SBEdited by: SILVERBACK

#7 ·
I have the same problem, local Ford dealers have a 'document' issued by Fords to overcome this problem. Put the nozzle in the filler and let it go and the nozzle will so say find its own postion, it willdrop about1/2 inch or so and then fill up as normal, but only to the first click. I have tried this and it is a lot better but it still leaks.

Grizzly

#8 ·
I took my Kuga into the dealer last week when I noticed a fuel patch on the drive. It turns out that the small hole just under the fuel filler is a breather pipe. When you have a look underneath the beast you can see the pipe which allows any overspill to flow out underneath the vehicle. I've never seen it on another car, possibly not a clever design!

#9 ·
Mine has been back in last week and the rep from Ford was there and admitted that they have had a few complaints about the system on the Kuga and other cars in their range.

Ford believe that the problem lies between the floor and the nozzel - i.e. you/me and there is nothing wrong with the design.

They say that there are only two drain holes which are just in front of the two flaps and it is the excess fuel in the nozzel that is leaking out. I can fill my car and drive two miles and have a nice puddle on my drive when I park up so I think this is not the case.

The service guy kindly dropped £10 in my car and said that it didn't leak, I filled up later that day and had the same puddle on the forecourt. I have tried the leaving it go, filling, leaving it to get the excess out and still had a puddle.

The service guy was great and sort of said that he thought that the explaination was rubbish and that I had to try it as the Ford rep had said so.

A call to the dealer in the morning as to be honest I am concerned as a biker that someone will have a spill on a forecourt and it will be my fault, well Ford's anyway.

The next step is an email to Autoexpress/Watchdog as this is design fault and should be rectified - I wonder how much ££ of diesel I have lost in 16500 miles...?

I will update with any updates.

#10 ·
From your excellant note Ford appear to recognise the problem but as normalwant to do nothingto address the problem, another example of their general attitude tocustomers.I was only thinking myself how much moneyhaveI lost on the forecourt andlocal roads. The potential danger to bikers both pedal and motor must be a concern. Ford need to be kicked up the bum and recallcars with this design and re-position the vent holes. If you require any help in contactingAutoexpress/Watchdog on this subject or theother problems I have with this lemon pleaselet me know.

#11 ·
Hello there
At last someone else with this problem. I have titanium 4 wheel drive, and have been having this problem since last October when I bought the car.

I have taken the car to my local dealer, and they tell me I am filling the car up wrong, that I should only put the nozzel in until it reaches the first notch, and gave me a printout on how to put diesel into the tank. I told them to take it seriously as it could also be dangerous,as I always leave a puddle on the ground.

I have been filling up petrol and diesel tanks for 20 years so I think I have some experience now. But in the end I think they were laughing at me, because no one else had complained or experienced the same problem. UNTIL NOW

#12 ·
Ronnie,

I am due to have a massive arguement with my dealer tomorrow, firstly they are not taking me serious and I am fed up.

I have had a new fuel pipe already and it still leaks, they have had a couple of weeks to order another and change it and still no contact. I am going to tell them in no uncertain terms that they are going to be held responsiblefor any incident or injurycaused by the fuel leaking from the car. Ihope this may make them take things seriously. I will let the forum know howI get on and how we as a group can get this matter resolved. I am going to make sure everything said to the dealer either verbally or in writing is recorded so thatI have proper records.

Maybe, if I can get contact details within Fords (not the dealers) we could as a group all make contact individually,I am sure this is a common fault/problem that all Kugas have but people are not aware of its severity.

If the Kuga is filled of fuel on a flat surface (not on a slope) then it will leak.

Will be in touch,,,,, by the way where in Essex are you? Anywhere near Dunton or Brentwoodwhere the Fords offices are?

#13 ·
Hello Steve.
Yes it was at Dunton Essex where I took the car in to complain, although I did'nt buy the car there. I thought I was the only Kuga with the problem.At one time, I left such a large puddle of diesel on the floor I had to make sure no one was looking, before I drove off.

Keep in touch.

#14 ·
Update:

My dealer was not too pleased that I put in writing that I was to hold them responsible for any incident or accident if caused by the fuel leaking from my car.

I had a row withthe service manager whoshould have informed me when the 2nd fuel pipe was to be fitted, thruth be known he had forgot to order the 2nd fuel filler pipe, within an hour of me leaving the dealer I received a call telling me that the pipe would be at the dealers within 2 days.

Apparently he spoke to ''Fords'' who have told him there are no recorded faults of this nature but to look to resolve my problem by changing the whole complete tank. PersonallyI dont think it will make any difference.

I haveinformed him of others that have the problem. I have told himI am taking this further with Fordsbut appreciateI have to give them opportunity to resolve problem by changing the complete tank.

At the end of the day I will do what I can to resolve my problem, Fords will do what they can to shut me up, I think it is important that all Kuga owners after filling their tank and have paid for the fuel actually check under the back of their car and see if there is a puddle.

It will not leak if the forecourt slopes away from the pump but when on thelevel or going around a corner it will spill out. So to be fair there could be a lot of owners who would not know there is a problem.

Anybody with a leak should report this road safety problem to their dealer and make sure it is recorded, there are too many biker accidents and deisel on the road is a huge risk to road users.

There is clearly a design fault but unless everybody checks and makes the call they will not recall or resolve the problem.

I have also since found out that one improvement that fords are making to the next build of Kugas is to have a newly designed fuel tank, apparently it will be bigger,I am sure there will be a newly designed fuel filler that does not leak. hmmm makes you wonder!!

Any people that have the problem should contact Ford customer services and report the fact that the dealers can not or will not resolve it (dont be fobbed off with them sayingyou are over filling the tank), when reporting it you should request a case number (they will not want to give you a number - be insistant) its the only way to get things recorded. Customer servces number is 0845 841 1111

Sorry this is so long winded, dont see how to keep it short. Will keep you posted.

#17 ·
Had my kuga just over 2 weeks now, filled it up twice, whoa and behold, large puddle of diesel each time on the forecourt. Very embarrasing especially when someone next to you also filling up tries informing you the car is leaking fuel. When i 1st picked up the car from the dealer i filled it up and i noticed it then, i drove the car straight back to them (Evan Halshaw Wolverhampton). The salesman went to have a word with one of the technicians who informed him that its not a problem, they are built with an overflow pipe!!! 1st ive heard of that on a car!!!!

Im very interested to see what Ford are doing to rectify this, get me on watchdog!!!

#18 ·
Went back to my ford dealer today with a printout of the forum,with all the same fuel leak problems, and said it's not just me filling the tank up wrong. But there is a design problem which needs to be sorted by Fords.
His reply was no one else has complained or had the problem, and gave me Fords customer service telephone number, which I will ring in due course.

I also asked a mot inspector if my kuga would pass an mot if I always left a puddle of diesel on the forecourt, his anwser of course was no. So I have a 6 month old Kuga that that is not road worthy.

#19 ·
Kugajohnny,
Insist that the dealer do something about the leak, tell them they need to resolve hte problem as it is a safety risk, tell them to contact the service manager at John Grose in Lowestoft to see what he is doing. You can see from my postings that i too have problems, in fact I have been told today of a way in which to fill the Kuga and it will not leak!!! I was told to fuel it very slowly with the pump nozzle at a certain angle, it took me 5 minutes to put £40 of fuel in and I still had a puddle under the car with the driver behind me frantically waving his arms!!!!!! Fords will only take notice if everybody insists something is done. My Dealer is John Grose in Lowestoft. I would be interested if anybody else has any dealings with this dealer, I am sure i am not the only Kuga owner that has bought from them!!

#20 ·
Hi Steve, thanks for your comments. Im deffo goin to speak to my dealer and inform them of the thoughts on this website also. Its not on and Ford should pull their finger out to rectify the problem. I am even more alarmed of the fact that the car, in M.O.T. tests, would be found unroadworthy. Im disgusted. Watchdog it is then if nothing gets done.

#21 ·
I phoned Ford and now have a case number.

Told my dealer first as they have been great about this.

Ford have told me to take it to a second dealer for a second opinion incase mine has missed something which I find an insult and will take up with my dealer in the morning. I think that it is time to get AutoExpress/Watchdog involved as I am not happy that my car would not pass an MOT...

Will speak to dealer/Ford again in the morning and post updates.

#22 ·
I too have spoke to Customer Services at Fords and made things clear to them, they are shocked about this problem!!!

I have my case number and they have said the dealers will always look to resolve by changing componants etc. there have to be reports made before Fords take things seriously.

So, if you have not already done so, check under the car once you have paid for fuel to see if a puddle forms or if there are any drips..... if there is - Report it to your dealer and customer services.

#23 ·
Sorry, I've only just registered, but have been reading this thread. I also have experience with this. I used to have a new Mondeo for 8 months (went into the garage 18 times) until I rejected it and had it replaced with the Kuga.

The Mondeo also leaked fuel and they were never able to fix it. However I also see this occasionally with the Kuga perhaps to a lesser extent.
My brother in law works for ford and apparantly this is a known problem. The new easy fill mechanism apparantlyhas two flaps (one you can see and one further down). In between these flaps is an overflow pipe. When you fill up and pull out then any excess gets dumped into this space and spills down the overflow.

He tells me that there is no fix as yet and it would affect all vehicles with this mechanism.

The only thing I do that helps is after filling I leave the nozel in for a minute to let things drain and then remove it. Seems to help!

hope this helps

#24 ·
Phoned my dealer today and told him that I am unhappy to take it somewhere else as to be honest they have been great. He is contacting Ford on my behalf and when I told him that I couldn't get an MOT on the car if it leaked fuel he understood how angry I was.

I think we get as many people to riase cases with Ford and see how it goes, then contact Autoexpress/Watchdog - give them a chance.

The leaving the nozzel in for a moment after filling helps, but you still get the leak which is bad. I noticed that it leaks more when using Shell V-Power than Tesco diesel which is typical.....

#25 ·
I spoke with Ford Customer Service centre this morning about a veryslightfuel leak which seems to be ok if you take care when filling up and leave the nozzle for a few seconds before taking out. I now have a case refernece number but they won't take any action unless a lot of owners report the problem.

#26 ·
My dealer has raised a global concern about this as he is worried about spilt diesel.

He has my car for Weds/Thurs this week and is determined to get to the bottom of it and will be filling the tank up all day until it leaks.

As an aside, I filled up with only £20 from empty (30 miles left) and it didn't leak - first time ever.

It must be as the tank fills, it splashes back and goes down the overflow - sounds like a design fault to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.