Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Has been discussed before!
Not doing a lot of night driving these days so am considering front spots for better road illumination when traversing, basically, unknown highways and byways.
Been considering a number plate mounting type bracket and two wipac spots, not very expensive to complete the job, bracket around £10-15, lights from H.Bowers at £26 pair.
Main reason for better lighting is that I had an ind. accident back in '87 and now have only vision in left eye (no DVLA restrictions on driving,afore ya ask!)
Did have, years ago, supplementary lighting on a Cavalier coupe and that was brilliant, driving down country roads. Bracket from Ebay, lights from H. Bowers

As described further down, have gone for the slim led ones for fitting in the grille......

·
Registered
123 Posts
Try driving with front Fog lights on !
Is this enough of a difference ?

I find this helps, especially in wet weather in town....... illuminates the kerb.

·
Registered
263 Posts
the mount you've picked out (number plate style) I'd imagine would bounce around all over the place as you drive..... as said above, could you go for foglights with retrofitted HID's as an alterantive?
The kuga doesn't really lend itself to mounting aftermarket lights unfortunately.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
I've hardwired vi a relay for foglight to come on with my main beam, it does make a difference to illumination to the front of the vehicle. As foglights there aren't much use and never use them for such.

I believe this facility maybe programmable via the OBD port, there is a term for it but I can never remember it.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Thanks Rob, David (Murdoc) has reminded me many times and I still forget. Reindeer, I'll remember now.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think the number plate mounted spotlights look horrendous ad will totally spoil the look of the car. There was a couple of posts on here where spotlights had been placed within the front grill and they looked good.

I find the front driving or fog lights not much help tbh.

Driving with vision in only one eye is fine for during the day but at night the additional concentration required puts quite a bit of strain on the eyesight and is tiring. This is made worse by the poor low beam lighting on the Kuga. My suggestions would be s follows.

1. Make sure the cars windscreen is absolutely spotless on the inside. If you smoke or use an ecig it leaves a residue on the screen and smears when you wipe it. I used to find that after cleaning the windscreen, exterior car polish was good as well as windolene, cream and not spray.

2. Try upgrading the dipped bulbs for a better one than standard. Not done this to mine as I don't drive much at night. Not sure if higher wattages can be fitted and option for LEDs seems to be limited with them not being an exact plug and play replacement.

3. Best and one of the cheaper solutions is buy some anti- glare glasses for night driving. I recently bought a pair of the TV advertised ones and although they look like safety glasses but they work. No dazzling from oncoming cars as it turns the light to yellow which is a lot softer on the eyes and if you can only see out of one it makes a massive difference.

Drivers with sight in one eye suffer from peripheral vision being less but night driving can cause additional eye strain caused by poor lighting and oncoming vehicles. it can also make them a lot more aware of their surroundings having to compensate for a blind side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try driving with front Fog lights on !
Is this enough of a difference ?

I find this helps, especially in wet weather in town....... illuminates the kerb.
Fog lights to be used ONLY in fog or falling snow, otherwise not 'legal' ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

Has been discussed before!
Not doing a lot of night driving these days so am considering front spots for better road illumination when traversing, basically, unknown highways and byways.
Been considering a number plate mounting type bracket and two wipac spots, not very expensive to complete the job, bracket around £10-15, lights from H.Bowers at £26 pair.
Main reason for better lighting is that I had an ind. accident back in '87 and now have only vision in left eye (no DVLA restrictions on driving,afore ya ask!)
Did have, years ago, supplementary lighting on a Cavalier coupe and that was brilliant, driving down country roads. Bracket from Ebay, lights from H. Bowers View attachment 3301 View attachment 3303
Seems I cannot reply to the most recent post, keeps telling me to log in !!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, bracket shown can be 'steadied' through the grille to stop the wobble of the lights.
H15 bulbs already upgraded but the beam pattern from the miniscule reflector is pathetic, H7 dip bulbs uprated with Osram Nightbreaker, latest version, pretty good spread on dip but would like more light 'reach' on full beam.
ps windscreen is NEW ! As are the wipers, not a problem 'seeing' through the windscreen.
Not made my mind up yet about the extra lights, will see................

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Fog lights to be used ONLY in fog or falling snow, otherwise not 'legal' ?
Actually, that's not right, its in reduced visibility. Even headlights should only be used in seriously reduced visibility and does not mean just fog. It intentionally ambiguous but qualified with you must turn them off when... So it does mean they should not be on when cruising. :)

100 meters isnt fog its a car in front slightly burning oil.

I switched foglight on with main beams in all my cars with front foglights (other than my 2013 Kuga).

Rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

·
Registered
682 Posts
Seems I cannot reply to the most recent post, keeps telling me to log in !!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, bracket shown can be 'steadied' through the grille to stop the wobble of the lights.
H15 bulbs already upgraded but the beam pattern from the miniscule reflector is pathetic, H7 dip bulbs uprated with Osram Nightbreaker, latest version, pretty good spread on dip but would like more light 'reach' on full beam.
ps windscreen is NEW ! As are the wipers, not a problem 'seeing' through the windscreen.
Not made my mind up yet about the extra lights, will see................
You need to out a little tick in the box which says keep me signed in otherwise it signs you out and then when you type in a reply it asks you to sign in and you can lose what you have written which is really annoying.

I only have vision in my left so understand fully about being able to see better at night. The night vision glasses are really good. I will see if I can find the links of the couple of guys who have fitted lights in the grill.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Here ya go.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seen the other post on 'spotlights' so have ordered a pair of the slim ones to fit in the grille....thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need to out a little tick in the box which says keep me signed in otherwise it signs you out and then when you type in a reply it asks you to sign in and you can lose what you have written which is really annoying.

I only have vision in my left so understand fully about being able to see better at night. The night vision glasses are really good. I will see if I can find the links of the couple of guys who have fitted lights in the grill.
Hi, both with vision in left eye, we can't even make a PAIR !:eek:;):ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Thanks Rob, David (Murdoc) has reminded me many times and I still forget. Reindeer, I'll remember now.
From what I've read, the "Bambi Mode" (US term) only enables the fogs to be switched on with the high beams. It doesn't turn them on automatically. The North American Escape must be programmed to disable fog with high beam, whereas on my Kuga they can be turned on. So we've got "Bambi Mode" enabled from the factory.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
You've confirmed what I thought when I was reading posts from those who had implemented it in the USA. Its already implemented on UK and obviously Au. Would be more useful if the did have the ability to set bring foglights on with main beams. Never use them otherwise. Do you often get foggy days in Australia?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You've confirmed what I thought when I was reading posts from those who had implemented it in the USA. Its already implemented on UK and obviously Au. Would be more useful if the did have the ability to set bring foglights on with main beams. Never use them otherwise. Do you often get foggy days in Australia?
Maybe once or twice a decade;)

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
A chance of using them in fog less than we have I see (if they were any good in fog). We certainly have a brigade over here ,of, hey I have foglights and drive with them without dip or main beams in what could be considered fog (or no fog even), little appreciating that their chance of being seen early by others is reduced probably by a factor of ten. If there's not too much back scatter, on go my main beams, and off when I do see someone in front, as they will have seen me at least seen me before I see them, if it helps. I cant remember when I actually used my rear fogs, though yes I'm sure there is more justification to us them in what could be considered fog, I've just not been there for a while.

I'f I was sure that the wiring colour code was consistent on the Kuga I'd post the mod I did with mine, but its certainly not the same wiring colour codes as the US Escape I found, when I'd pre planned and did mine.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Maybe once or twice a decade;)
:D I think I tried them once to see if they added any beneficial light with the main headlights.

Some places in Australia can get a bit of fog. Where I live it's more likely to be cloud and as you descend towards the plains area (closer to sea level) it clears as you get below the clouds. Other times (early mornings) it can be the opposite and you can see the fog on the low lying plains areas. It's rarely thick enough to warrant using fog lights and usually only very early in the morning.

I think it's law here that you can only have "x" Watts of forward facing lights on with fog lights. It basically rules out using them with low or high beam- even though all vehicles here seem to have them enabled from the factory with low and high. Plus there's the law of only using them in inclement weather conditions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts